What Promts you to Change balls?

donny475

I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Is it because you had a bad round? A playing partner is constantly driving past you with another Brand? Just not flushing it anymore? Why do you look around?

My last change was from the ProV1 to the Z Star XV about 1.5 years ago. At the time, there seemed to be a lot around here singing it’s praises. Coupled with saving about $5/box I figured why not give it a go. I proceeded to play one of my better rounds that day so they ultimately became my go to.

To add, I’m still playing last years ball. Im also very particular on the feel I get off of the club face so once this stash depletes, the new ball gets the first go... I may try out something different should something not “click” at that point...

My swing. It’s changed and the TourB XS is a better fit than the RX now. Unless it’s windy. I still hit it plenty high and with slightly too much spin so I can see ballooning with the XS into wind that the RX cuts a lot better.

Is it because you had a bad round? A playing partner is constantly driving past you with another Brand? Just not flushing it anymore? Why do you look around?
Bad round for me. Losing balls that cost 4-5 a piece can turn a bad round into a really expensive bad round.
I love me some Chrome Softs but sometimes the 2 Piece ball is a better fit.

Usually it happens when I find a ball on the course or in my bag (after maybe losing one lol) and I hit and it just performs well.

Or even when I bought those THPer created Chromesoft X Truvis earlier this year. I put them in play thinking I wouldnt' switch from TP5X and it just flat out goes farther off the tee for me - so here I am switching again.

For me it is usually curiosity nothing else. I generally play the ProV1X and it performs well but I like trying different stuff. I usually come back to PV1X though.

Sometimes it's as simple as price for me. I don't like paying $50 for pro v's. Going from playing 30 times a year to under 10....and handicap going from 12 to 20, has me switching to a more affordable ball. Now I wait for a sale or father's day...lol

Two things make me change balls:
-a bad shot into the water
-deep and muddy water

I try to play the same ball, whatever brand it is. Expensive balls sink just as fast and don't help my game.

Started going through the bucket of balls I have accumulated over the past few years. Left over from some used bucket I bought through a retailer or one of those used ball outfits. Gifts at Xmas/birthdays. Something else shiny catches my eye.

The change never helps mis-hits.

Water, woods...🤷🏻‍♂️

When they "Make it better". Which usually ruins the playing characteristics, I worked hard to test and find.

or

When they straight up discontinue the ball.

Thankfully, Mizuno has done neither yet with the RB TourX. But, I suspect they will eventually, then the hunt will begin all over again.

Performance around the green and the ability to hold greens with scoring irons. Secondary, wind performance is important for us golfers in El Paso.

At this point, ball changes are based on trial and error, rumors and speculation. my current ball is the AVX. Almost sure I'm giving up some distance due to the lower flight, but keeping more in the fairway, makes that acceptable. I don't know if that's all in my head, or real, since I've not done any true quantitative testing on a launch monitor.

I also find the Snell MTB black does a pretty good job for me (sort of in between the AVX and Pro V1) off the tee. So, those are the two balls that I gravitate towards. If it was all short game, I'd probably go with the Snell MTB Black or ProV1.

Usually replaced when I lose it haha

90% of the time, the ball I pick that day is more what I happened to grab out of the bag when I reached for my glove and a ball.

I have certainly been pleased with the performance of the 2020 Chrome Soft since it came out as it does everything I want from a ball. However, just don't want to any longer pay that kind of price when I can get comparable performance from a much less expensive Snell MTB Black.

I try new balls as they come out from the oems. I do this usually due to word of mouth reviews from friends.

I will give a new ball a month of practice and play to test it. Then I go back to my original gamer....lol

Poor rounds, or poor shots are not a reason for me to change balls. The balls just fly the way my swing makes them fly. I will sometimes change a ball out mid round, but it will be for another gamer of the same brand.

I will try different balls due to reviews here, or "claims" that they will improve my game. I will typically play them for a couple rounds. If they don't hold up to my current gamer, then, they're gone and I'll remain quite happy with my gamer that does what I have come to expect from it.

Pure whimsy. And a desire to try new things.

When they say they fixed that one thing I didn't quite like about it.

I will try different balls due to reviews here, or "claims" that they will improve my game. I will typically play them for a couple rounds. If they don't hold up to my current gamer, then, they're gone and I'll remain quite happy with my gamer that does what I have come to expect from it.

^^ Pretty much this. Bridgestone Tour BX is the current gamer. Currently testing pro v1 and v1x, mostly because they come in yellow.

Only thing that makes me change balls in reality is losing them and just wanting to try something else for just the sake of trying something different.

I like to try different thing now and again to see if any of them are the answer!
So far they are all much the same with little difference that won't be put down to user error.
Currently I bounce between the Bridgestone Tour B RX, Pro V1 and Pro V1x with the Bridgestone being today's favourite.

A mix of curiosity and price for me.

Balls are like guitar strings to me...even when I find something I like I still want to try everything else out there to make sure there isn’t something even better. Reading reviews of different ball certainly doesn’t help.

Then there’s cost too. I think ChromeSoft might be my favorite ball, but they are a bit pricey. So, I started searching for a cheaper CS.

Then there’s something like the Divide that comes along and screams “try me” and how can I say no haha.

When I start seeing the ball move off the tee more than I expect - I have the wrong ball in play
If I get more roll out on the greens from Chips and Pitches, I have the wrong ball in play

Last edited:
How the ball is reacting off the driver and especially around the greens mainly. I also will change if I don't like the way a ball feels.

Back