Mentorship for the Ambitious Golfer

cSweetMaj7

Reaction score
tl;dr for those who don't want to read my autobiography:
I'm new to golf, practicing very seriously and trying to get as good as I possibly can. I want to find a mentor but have been having a hard time as I feel most golfers don't have these same goals and those who do collect a lot of lesson fees. I'm trying to find a more natural way to get regularly involved with skilled players so I can learn from them.

I'm nearly eight months in since I started. For the first few months I was hitting about 100 practice balls 3-4 times a week. Once my body got used to that (and I stopped trying to kill the ball with every swing) 200-300 daily practice balls is my new normal. I played my first 18 holes in December. I lost a lot of balls off the tee with driver, however I did score a handful of legit bogeys, which I was happy with for my first time out. But, I knew I had to put in a lot more time on the range before returning to the course.

I finally did that a few weeks ago, playing the front 9 of a local course twice over a couple days. Though I was confident I wouldn't slice more than a few drives, I still managed to lose a good 4 or 5 balls. However, I did score my first pars. One on a par 3 and one on a 4. I was ecstatic. I am finally starting to feel what the difference is between aiming on the range and aiming on the course. I don't balk at a ball that's landed in the hardpan way behind the green. I channel Phil and take a crack at that flop shot I've been working on. I've developed an augmented putting grip that has taken my accuracy from mediocre to very good. I know those 3s and 2s are going to change into 2s and 1s as I interact with more greens under differing conditions and develop reading skills.

Based on these recent scores, including penalties, I estimate I'm shooting over 100. If I can become more confident off the tee and eliminate the nervous slices, I know that will drop under 100. As the putting improves it will go lower and I'm sure once my wedge play locks in I'll really be set. I am just bursting to play good golf.

Therein lies my problem. Golf is not the first difficult activity I've strived to be good at. There are a lot of interesting parallels between sports (especially golf) and musicianship. One of the most important things I learned about becoming a good musician is that you absolutely must interact and play with others who are objectively better and more experienced than you in order to grow yourself. Nothing guarantees mediocrity like an absence of examples of excellence. I've found that this is true of pretty much every challenging activity I've undertaken.

Instead of being harsh about my golf peers I'll try to be more neutral like so many good golf teachers I've heard from. For the most part I don't like what I see most golfers doing at the practice range. I like what I see on the course even less. I don't want to swing like that. I don't want to play like that. It seems to me an excellent ball striker is a statistical rarity. Once or twice a week I'll spot someone who quite obviously knows exactly what they're doing and I can't help but watch (discreetly) as long as I can.

I don't think what I need are lessons. I've had a few great ones and I feel like I have a good awareness of what is going well from a technique standpoint, what isn't, and what I need to focus my practice on to get better.

I think what I need is a mentor. Someone I can get on the course with who takes the game seriously and strives for excellence with every shot. Someone I can confidently study and emulate. Someone who is actively interested in helping bring a novice to their level. I would imagine this person to be a scratch golfer or better.

In the world of musicianship these types were relatively easy to find. It didn't take long to track down a decent college band and join up in a lower ranking position while still being around more experienced members to learn from. I believe that excellent golfers are far less abundant than excellent musicians. Due to the scarcity, those who are excellent are usually booked up either selling lessons or playing exclusively with others near their skill level.

I'm anticipating the go-to advice here is going to be "just go play." Surely if I fill enough random threesomes I'll find someone like this to be friendly and play with. Though I do intend to do this more in the coming months, I can't say that it seems like the most efficient way to succeed, especially for someone with less than spectacular social skills.

So there it is. I have been exploring country clubs in the area and as much of a paradise as some seem, it's simply not affordable right now. Long term and on-course instruction don't seem to be much easier on the bank account.

There are so many things about golf and the golf community I'm still learning about. I'm hoping running this by ya'll might lead to some suggestions I hadn't thought of or discovered yet.

Thanks for reading and thanks again for having me here. I have a few new clubs I was fitted for coming soon; can't wait to share how that goes.

I think what I need is a mentor. Someone I can get on the course with who takes the game seriously and strives for excellence with every shot. Someone I can confidently study and emulate. Someone who is actively interested in helping bring a novice to their level. I would imagine this person to be a scratch golfer or better.

So funny because I have a mentor I play with on Sundays. He can't overpower a course however he's outstanding in "Course Management" I try to learn from every time we play. When I play a shot that he thinks could have been played better, he asks me for thought process.
It's made a big difference. I appreciate him (But don't tell him that!)

Check out the THP regional area nearest you. ---> THP regional area and see if there's anyone in CA close to you. That's an option.

Another option is to book a playing lesson. That's where you're on the course with the instructor and going over course management and shot selection and such. Maybe that'll help.

If there's a course you regularly play, check into whether there's a league.

Or just play regularly and you'll see some of the same people over and over again. Maybe some of them will join you in your rounds.

Welcome to THP! Playing with better players is important to you yourself improving. You will see how they play holes, course management, what they do around greens, and much more that will teach you quite a bit.

This is awesome. I would definitely say get some swing and putting lessons and hit a lot of balls. When I used to go to the range every day I just met other people there who were as serious or more than I was so it was a good opportunity to befriend them and eventually regularly play with them.

You could also look at joining a few local men's clubs. When I lived in that area I played in the Silicon Valley Golf Club and the Shoreline Mens club. Both had good players.

Therein lies my problem. Golf is not the first difficult activity I've strived to be good at. There are a lot of interesting parallels between sports (especially golf) and musicianship. One of the most important things I learned about becoming a good musician is that you absolutely must interact and play with others who are objectively better and more experienced than you in order to grow yourself. Nothing guarantees mediocrity like an absence of examples of excellence. I've found that this is true of pretty much every challenging activity I've undertaken...

...In the world of musicianship these types were relatively easy to find. It didn't take long to track down a decent college band and join up in a lower ranking position while still being around more experienced members to learn from. I believe that excellent golfers are far less abundant than excellent musicians. Due to the scarcity, those who are excellent are usually booked up either selling lessons or playing exclusively with others near their skill level.

Fellow musician/golfer here (in that order), and I completely agree about the parallels you mentioned.

I didn't start really improving as a guitar player until I dove in and took some gigs where I was in over my head and HAD to step up just to hang with the other players.

And I stopped taking gigs where the other players were just there to drink or smoke weed or whatever.

To be clear I don't have any problem with musicians (or golfers) who want to have a six pack and a joint. That's cool. That's just not what I wanted to do when I strapped my guitar over my shoulder. I had way more fun playing sober.

Same with golf.

So, to your point: who are you playing with? Find the players whose game you admire, and play with them. You'll pick up on who to listen to and who to ignore.

That guy who is always complaining that the course isn't right, the green isn't right, this driver isn't for me, I just can't hit this putter... you can ignore him. The one who hits a shot, accepts it, and moves to the next one - that's the guy to play with.

Also, handy tip from personal experience: if you want to be invited back, don't slow them down, pick your ball up if they're in the fairway and you're in the weeds, you're there to learn, not to score.

Cheers!

Golf is game which is very difficult to excel in on your own. The best players in the world have coaches. I play with a lot of excellent golfers and they have coaches/lessons. There are times where you need someone that knows what they're doing to objectively look at your swing, give you drills for that purpose, and follow up. Lessons aren't cheap but start with one. Tell the coach that you need to know the one biggest opportunity in your swing for improvement. Take the one lesson, give him that $100, and hit 10,000 balls doing what he told you to do. After that, re-evaluate. This is a game of repetition and consistency. You can build a bad foundation consistently repeating the wrong mechanics and those habits are hard to break.

More often than not, a low single-digit or scratch golfer can identify some things you're doing wrong, but they may not be a great teacher. So, IMO, you'd be money ahead to get a lesson and work on it rather than going to the local muni and paying the green fee each time, hoping you'll get paired with a guy who knows what they're doing. On top of that, most don't just offer unsolicited advice.

Instructors do on course lessons. While you feel you have the basics, even pros who have been playing for years get lessons and instruction and have coaches. Better to set up proper habits from now then engrain bad habits and be fighting them for years (like me)

If you’re scoring 100+, you need to continue with lessons to improve ball striking. Not a lesson or or there, but regimented and repeated.

Also, find some better players to play with. Watch and discuss how they play the game. That way the technique you develop in lessons can be applied to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this isn't what you're seeking but I would love to roll back the clock and be in your shoes (ie just starting out coupled with a strong ambition to learn). I'd commit to professional instruction and all the drills and tireless work those scratch players you admire likely put in. Also realize they likely still work very hard and very smart just to maintain that level of excellence. I think you'd be further ahead and get there in shorter order than hoping to stumble upon the right mentors. It's so hard to undo decades of 'damage' caused by our self taught golf games or the advice that might key to this top notch player but may even be detrimental for you. We're all built and swing differently. If I could start over I'd seek out professional help much earlier than I did.

I'll also add that joining a Men's League at Night was a great move for me.
I have met so many players my age, with the same interests and same abilities.
It made me a better player and have created some fantastic friendships.

Back