Knocking down spin on approach

KB5904

Midwest guy living the dream!
Reaction score
What’s going on everyone? So, I have an issue with being able to knock off spin/allowing ball to release on almost all wedge shots. Green side chip all the way to 100 yard shots. I know I’m already steep on swing plane and can flatten that out.. but the big issue is letting a ball roll out/release to the hole.
Does anyone else suffer from this?!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Do you want more roll out or less? I assume you want more from the wording but it isn’t crystal clear to me

What ball are you playing? If something like a ProV1 or ProV1x then you could try the lower spinning AVX

Are you saying you spin the ball too much? Many wish they had that problem haha. I'd suggest playing a less spinny ball like a 2 piece Surlyn cover maybe. You should see plenty of release with that type of ball compared to more tour type balls.

Passive wrists and control the distance with your body turn. That will produce a flatter trajectory with a hop, check and release on most shots.

Do you want more roll out or less? I assume you want more from the wording but it isn’t crystal clear to me
I’d like to get more rollout, when needed. Stopping the ball isn’t a issue for me.

Bridgestone tour b X
You might try considering the Tour B RXS. I know @Canadan uses it because it helped lower his spin numbers and did a video a few months back about it. Not sure how it much it would change on the shorter chips and pitches though since the Reactiv technology of the cover of the Tour B line is supposed to help generate more spin on those shots. Have you tried comparing with other brands to see if you get any more rollout with one of those?

I get the greenside thing I suppose, but if you're trying to actually release a 100y wedge shot a fair bit, you're almost working outside it's intent, and it will probably take a combination of things (swing, ball, etc) . My suggestion would be don't use a wedge.

I get the greenside thing I suppose, but if you're trying to actually release a 100y wedge shot a fair bit, you're almost working outside it's intent, and it will probably take a combination of things (swing, ball, etc) . My suggestion would be don't use a wedge.
Knockdown 7i should take care of it nicely. ;)

Knockdown 7i should take care of it nicely. ;)
I was thinking 8 or something, but yeah. A lot easier to pick the tool that wants to do the thing you want to do than try to make multiple things do something they don't.

Easiest way to do it? Change ball possibly. Almost as easy but will require work? Club up one maybe two and take an easier/more passive swing. Will come off lower and with less spin.

use a different club. less loft, slower swing, and flatter trajectory should knock off spin.

The simple answer is to use a ball with a surlyn cover which has less son than a urathane covered ball. Spin is created by deforming the cover in the short game.

I don't have the swing to put alot of spin on the ball. Never have. With that, I always plan on some roll out.

If I need to stop a ball on the green, I hit high flying flop shots. They usually drop, and stop with minimum roll out. Maybe a foot, or three, or four.

Back