When was your first fitting?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I've been very interested in the recent posts related to fitting and it is definitely something I would like to do at some point.

I'm curious to know when folks had their first fitting after they started playing golf. What was the time gap?

First fitting was in the mid 90s, about 20 years after I first started golfing. A multiple OEM iron selection fitting with the head pro on the range at Cardinal Creek (Scott AFB IL). Old school. Launch monitors weren't a thing yet. Now it's becoming a regular thing for me. Since coming back to golf about 7 years ago I've been 'fit' at least a dozen times for something(s) or other.

Been playing for nearly 30 years. As to the question, I'll hafta let you know when it happens.

Started when I was 5ish and had my first fitting last year at 30.

My first fitting was for a driver, about a year after I started playing.

I started playing 30 some years ago and had my first fitting last year.

I've been very interested in the recent posts related to fitting and it is definitely something I would like to do at some point.

I'm curious to know when folks had their first fitting after they started playing golf. What was the time gap?
I played for a year with off the shelf irons as a 13 year old then got a fitted set of irons and wedges - I’m 6’5” now and was tall for my age back then and had a surprisingly fast swing for a beginner kid so I benefitted from a fitting.

I can remember a lie board, the Ping static chart, and and a few demo clubs when we decided I'd grown beyond Grandma's clubs. I don't think the time gap would matter. It was when we decided it was time and worth investing in going forward. And then I mowed every yard I could find to play for the clubs. Folks bought the course pass, but they knew I'd take care of the clubs if I had to buy them. Lol

When I started playing again later in life, it was similar. When I wanted to take it more seriously, I invested more time and money to get into clubs that would benefit me.

Last year for me and if it wasn't for THP, probably not then either. Time gap 50 years.

I started playing in 1986, had my first fitting (a limited one) in 2010. Had my first “real” fitting last year.

I played a good 15 years before getting fit. I always felt I wasn't good enough to get fit, but I have to admit I wish I had done it years ago.

I've been playing 15 years or so, had my first fitting about a month ago.

I have been playing for about 25 years. My first fitting was for irons in my 15th season. I will second (third? Fourth?) the notion that I didn't think I was good enough to be fit and that it was expensive. I wish I had done it sooner.

I've been golfing for over 20 years and have yet to be fit. Been thinking more and more about it these last few years since joining THP.

I have been playing for about 25 years. My first fitting was for irons in my 15th season. I will second (third? Fourth?) the notion that I didn't think I was good enough to be fit and that it was expensive. I wish I had done it sooner.

When do you think you should have got it done? Looking back.

I took my golf game serious (sort of) in the late 1970s. Some post college buddies got me interested on the game.

In the early 1980s, (83?) my cousin hooked me up with his swing instructor, club builder guy. We spent many positive years together.

I guess after taking up the game, it was 4-5 years before I started serious swing instruction, with fitted clubs.

I had my first “fitting” in 1973 when I was 18. The course owner/pro, watched me hit a few balls and recommended a set of clubs. My second fitting, was last September. Quite a different experience.

I first started playing in the early/mid '90s but have been off/on with playing over the years, only seriously playing more again since 2018/2019. I've never been fit for clubs but I will when I get new irons...unless I find a great deal on used irons again.

about 10 years after I started playing. I am 6'0 to 6'1 and I was pretty certain my standard clubs were a reasonable choice to learn to swing

I had my first "official" fitting after playing golf for around 40 years. Previously I followed fitting instructions from the Ping website and used those specs to order my Ping Eye2 irons.

I got fit for the first time back in the early 90's. I had been playing golf since the mid 80's (age25) and I guess I was maybe a 12ish handicap. I bought clubs from that pro (Henry Griffits) and it really helped my game. My handicap went down to the 8-9 range.

I recently got fit for a new driver. It was worth every penny. I've got the shot shape I was searching for now.

I recommend getting fit/lessons whenever you are fighting your clubs for an extended time.

If you are a beginner, I'd say if you can get most balls in the air and finish your swing reasonably balanced, a fitting could help you.

July 2018 I was fit for my PXG irons. That was my first professional fitting

Had my first fitting in fall of 2018 I believe. Ironically, I have never purchased clubs I was fit for. Definitely going to change that though going forward, starting with my irons

Back