Does anyone use a 7 Hybrid?

xcman04

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious if anyone uses one. I'm really enjoying my Ping G425 3h, and over my morning coffee I was just wondering what hitting the 7h would be like, even though I currently game Cleveland HB Turbos, which are SGI iron/hybrids, and thus I have absolutely zero reason to acquire a 7h (or really any other hybrid).

I remember that the Rogue hybrids went all the way to the Ocho...

Just curious if anyone uses one. I'm really enjoying my Ping G425 3h, and over my morning coffee I was just wondering what hitting the 7h would be like, even though I currently game Cleveland HB Turbos, which are SGI iron/hybrids, and thus I have absolutely zero reason to acquire a 7h (or really any other hybrid).

I tried for a few rounds a 25* loft 5 hybrid but found with that much loft distance control was compromised. True high lofted hybrids and, or, hybrid style irons I believe are great
for producing high trajectory shots, playing shots from sloped, grassy, or other less than ideal lies. But for consistently precise shot carry distance control I think a traditional size iron head is best.
So a 30 to 32* loft hybrid would be fun to swing and hit shots with I am sure but I doubt my accuracy distance control would be good enough.

I use a Mavrik Max 7 hybrid and love it for those 155-165 yard shots

I recently went with 4-8 hybrids. Love the loft I get out of the rough. For me they are much easier to control than irons.

I’ve just added a 5 hybrid and the thing is a beast. It is so damn easy to hit, it’s like cheating. The 7 would be insane to use, but would maybe be a little too much loft for me. Even with the 5, it looks like the face is pointing at the sky LOL.

I have a 5H coming for the Morgan Cup. I can honestly say I would bag Ping hybrids from 2-7 than i210 down with no problem at all. Anything over 170 would be no problem, nor would playing them short.

I already play a 5H. With the way I'm swinging this year (i.e. slower) I'm thinking of adding a 6H and 7H to the bag. I think the Mav Max will be a little too draw biased since I have a tendency to hook, so I'm looking at Ping. I currently have Cobra 4H and 5H. and Cobra OL irons. So I'll have to bring the irons in for gapping and adjusting of the hybrids. Cobra makes women's hybrids in 6H - 8H but methinks those will be way too draw biased even though I could order them with a regular shaft cut to length.

I use 3-7 Cobra F9 Speedback Hybrids. I’ll let everyone ponder the 6 and 7. I kept the heads and changed the shafts. My 8 and 9 Hybrids are some X9 ones that I found on eBay a couple years ago. 34,37 degrees. I love em. Clean contact and they stop amazingly well. Perfectly gapped with all hybrids from 190 yards in. I have a X9 PW as well at 40 degrees that rotates in/out with a Cleveland PW depending on the course. As I’ve posted before, I think it’s a matter of time before one of the big companies (Callaway, Cobra, Ping ect) makes a full true hybrid set. Maybe it will only come in lighter flexes ie Senior,A,Light,L,W or however they wanna label it. But it will happen.

I have no illusions of being a sub 5 Handicapper one day. So for me and my game, hybrids are a perfect fit for scoring/approach clubs.

Attachments

• 07A77144-747D-4ECB-95A7-802D865C1C1E.jpeg
    07A77144-747D-4ECB-95A7-802D865C1C1E.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 5
I went to the golf store today. I am playing terrible. I've lost like 15 yds in the last year. Once in a while I'll catch one. But golf has become more of a chore. I have nothing between 145 and 175. I used to hit my 7i 155 yds. It's now about 137 - 143 yds. My 6i? I didn't bring it with me. I brought my 8i which was an embarrassment - I hit every shot fat. I tried the Ping 425 5H and 6H which are the same lofts as my 6i and 7i. Also I tend to have a hook and you can set the lie angle on these a little flat, although I know you can still hit toe down and hook the ball. It's not the arrow.

Anyway the 6H fit at 155. The 5H fit at 165. My Cobra F9 24 Hybrid fit at 169, but I think that can be goosed up with a shaft extension because it's the same length as the Ping 6H. I need that Cobra 5H to go 175.... or I could trade both the 5H and 4H and get a Ping 4H and just go with their gapping which is still a possibility. I won't play any par 3s longer than that. If the course has one longer than that I'll move up a tee for that hole. I've seen some courses with a 190 par 3 and that's a 7W and a bogey or DB.

Needless to say I did hit the hybrids better than my irons even when I hit them poorly the results were better.

Back