Things that are gone from golf, what do you miss?

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
What do you miss that is either gone forever or for the time being from golf?

I miss the sound of metal spikes on concrete or cart paths.

I miss the sound of the ball going in the hole.

I also miss water on the course, ball washers and rakes for sand traps.

But mostly it's those sounds.

Last edited:
I liked the sound of metal spikes on concrete, but I don't miss all the times I just about fell on my butt from slipping in them on smooth concrete - it was like being on an ice rink!

Oh wow... sound of metal spikes on concrete. There's an often overlooked one.

For me it's the sound of a ball dropping in the hole. That's the pinnacle.

Metal spikes are what I miss. The local course I play at has rakes on the carts.

Sand/divot fill. Still not on a lot of carts and man does it show.

Sheep.

I miss basic golf etiquette. RIP.

A course called the Harvester here in Iowa had goats in the grassy areas between holes.

~Rock

Rakes in bunkers is what I miss most these days that and People fixing their Ball marks on the greens.
Actually now that I think about it I miss people being Courteous and taking care of the course instead of just abusing it without care.

I never played golf with metal spikes but I did wear them in baseball and love that sound.

For me it would be a couple of simple things. Ball washers with the shoe cleaning bristles at the bottom and water on the course. It's about to start getting hot here in Texas and it would be nice not to have to carry as much water with you since you could just refill.

etiquette that applies to both on-course play as well as the driving range. for the most part the strangers with whom i get paired to play 18 holes are respectful, take care of the course, etc. on the range it's a damn free-for-all. no regard for the next person to hit. obnoxiously loud conversations laden with profanity. general endangerment of themselves and others. i understand that practice facilities probably don't turn much of a profit (if any), but i hate that it's so hard to find a decent place to work on my game.

The sound of metal spikes, only. I don't miss the way my feet felt after walking a round in them.

I miss basic golf etiquette. RIP.

A course called the Harvester here in Iowa had goats in the grassy areas between holes.

~Rock
Nice!!

third with etiquette....cigarette butts, cigar butts, sunflower seeds....etc

Metal spikes. The rakes and sand fill are back where I play. The noodle foam is also gone so I'm loving the sound of the ball dropping into the cup as I'm pulling the flagstick inside of 15' again.

I miss the sound of solid contact on a persimmon wood. It had such a crisp sound to it.

And agree with the others, the "clack" of metal spikes will always have a spot in my mind.

The game it self hasn't changed that much in the past 40+ years for me. I'm still trying to hit a few good shots, and get around the 18 holes in the least amount of strokes possible.

What I truly miss, are some of the guys I can no longer golf, and share good times with.

I miss the raised cup liner. It was nice to just know that if it ricocheted off the liner, you could count it. It made for a lot of laughs and needling your buddies when you'd get super aggressive and miss by like 7-8 feet, then just hammer it off the liner.

I miss not hurting after a round of golf. That counts right?

Good question. I do think 35 years ago, before metal woods, golf was in some ways a "better game". For Tour play oversized drivers and high quality graphite shafts have meant less skill is required for playing tee box shots. In other words, I believe Nicklaus and Watson and Trevino needed more skill to produce good shots, especially under pressure, than do today's Tour players using the current clubs and balls.
For amateur play the current clubs and balls have produced better looking tee ball shots for most, but it seems like 18 hole scoring averages are about the same today as was 35, 40 years ago.

Water on the course
Empty cup (that sound especially)
Ball washers

Marshalls without a "I run the show no matter how wrong I am" mentality. Miss the days when they actually knew what they were doing.

Back