Golf & Disposable Income

I budget in “fun money” which is cash I can drop each month with no questions from my wife. We have the same amount so some month I’ll spend mine on golf and other times it’s on equipment or maybe something else I’m interested in.

I think it’s good to have that kind of expense budgeted out especially if a big golf trip is coming up.

As long as it costs less than booze used to, I'm probably good.

many years ago when I was single and could play or hit balls just about every day, I had a budget for golf just like everything else.

As I've aged my income has grown and my needs have dropped. Thus, more left over at the end of the month. I should spend more on golf actually. It is my favorite activity and courses in my area are relatively low cost. Typically we walk 18 on the weekends for about $35.

When I retired, the cost of golf and other entertainment expenses were figured into our decision. So far it has worked out OK.

What is this thing called a budget isn’t retirement when you spend all you have saved for retirement I am hoping the check to the funeral home bounces when I am gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my fee's come from the "secret stash" shhhhhh...this way the wife doesn't see an $80 charge for golf or worse yet a $300 charge at golf galaxy for a driver.

We keep a rough budget. I spend as much on golf as my wife does on her farm animals.

I have a lot of ground to make up this year, so far.

No budget for golf. Am extremely lucky that my wife and I have very good decent paying jobs. One kid on academic scholarship and the other is on partial athletic scholarship and my GI Bill covers the rest, so no out of pocket costs for 2 kids in college. Both of us are maxed out on 401ks, that along with 2 pensions I will get when I retire, our retirement goals have already been met. So 100+ rounds a year for me along with a ton of other golf crap I know I don’t need, but always fun to buy and have. 😎

Last edited:
I have a budget I set out of disposable income that I adhere to for the year... Rounds, gear, lessons, tv (PGA Tour Live), etc come out of that budget. It works well for me, though my family tends to joke the budget has no cap on it :ROFLMAO:

as it should be😎👍⛳

My monthly club membership is budgeted into the bills, anything else (clubs, new bag, etc.) is discretionary income. Golf balls and other minor purchases are incidentals. All bills are paid (plus a little extra on most of them) and money is put into savings every month first and foremost.

Was talking with a friend about the costs of golf.

My question to THP members is this. Should all the costs associated with golf be paid for with disposable income? That being income left over after all the bills have been paid.

Or, should these costs be budgeted like mortgage payments, car payments, groceries, and other monthly expenses.

Me, I (kind of) limit myself to $200 a month. Most of that goes to 5-6 green fees. Most months, there's monies left over. I have other things I like to do besides golf that requires money to be spent too.

Just courios......
I would say so. Playing golf isnt very important when youre house is going into foreclosure and your car is about to be repoed because you are spending money on new clubs and on greens frees instead of paying your bills.
Me, I have my budget set up to where I can pay my bills, put a little money into savings and still have some left over for golf, buying tools, woodworking projects, lawn care suppliers and tools and home improvement projects. If I dont have the money left over, I simply dont golf, dont buy tools and dont do the projects that I want to do.

I don't budget golf. I just pay to play what I want when I want. If I ever find myself in a position where I am questioning the affordability then perhaps I will re-consider this approach, or take some time off.

To give my opinion on the original question: I think if you are the type who relies on a fixed income, then yes, it should absolutely be in your budget.

it's a budgeted item for me. it absolutely helps my mental health to schedule some golf. when i'm not playing, i can feel the agitation and general difficulty of coping with the little things life/work throws at me. that's worth a line item in a monthly budget imho.
X1000..

Loosely budget. Knowing I have a weekly spend. More planning if buying clubs, trips.

I work at a course and settle for less then I would without free golf so I guess that is budgeted in

Budgeting for golf is like budgeting for groceries, both are essential, both will get the attention they need.

my wallet knows when enough is enough...that's what i tell myself

Was talking with a friend about the costs of golf.

My question to THP members is this. Should all the costs associated with golf be paid for with disposable income? That being income left over after all the bills have been paid.

Or, should these costs be budgeted like mortgage payments, car payments, groceries, and other monthly expenses.

Me, I (kind of) limit myself to $200 a month. Most of that goes to 5-6 green fees. Most months, there's monies left over. I have other things I like to do besides golf that requires money to be spent too.

Just courios......
5-6 rounds on $200 a month?? I live in the same valley as you, how are you pulling that off? I paid $73 at Siena this morning. I haven’t paid less than $60 in 6 months.

I've long been charged with paying the bills and handling our finances.

When times were tough, it was always bills first and golf sometimes had to take a back seat for even prolonged periods. Needs first. It was hard, individually speaking, but best for the family.

Budgeting works. Stick to it long enough and waddayaknow? You can eventually play at will, buy on a whim.

I'm a decidedly will/whim guy now, thankfully. "Budget to will/whim." That should be a slogan.

Oh, and what the Mrs doesn't know won't hurt (you) her.

That's a survival mechanism.

Last edited:
5-6 rounds on $200 a month?? I live in the same valley as you, how are you pulling that off? I paid $73 at Siena this morning. I haven’t paid less than $60 in 6 months.
$31 walking, or riding for 18 holes for locals with I. D.. We own a home near the Rio Seco course, in 7 Hills, but we live in Boulder City. Cleaner, and safer up here.

Prior to the covid invasion, I was paying $20 to walk, and $25 to ride.

Have you tried the Chamira GC on Henderson? ( the old Tudcsny GC) They use to have decent fees.

I built some of those homes on the Siena GC. Long time ago.

$31 walking, or riding for 18 holes for locals with I. D.. We own a home near the Rio Seco course, in 7 Hills, but we live in Boulder City. Cleaner, and safer up here.

Prior to the covid invasion, I was paying $20 to walk, and $25 to ride.

Have you tried the Chamira GC on Henderson? ( the old Tudcsny GC) They use to have decent fees.

I built some of those homes on the Siena GC. Long time ago.
Boulder City muni? I’ve played out there a time or two. I’m surprised they let you walk. The marshals at Siena would have thrown me out if I had asked to walk.

My wife and I have a joint account we each contribute a set amount to each payday to cover, home, utilities, food, vacations, pet expenses, car insurance, etc...the rest of our paychecks, which we keep in our indivisual personal accounts, is up to each of us to do with as we wish so I guess my golf does come out of my "discretionary" income/personal account. Though I got lucky earlier this year and our Bandon trip came out of the joint account; golf, caddies, etc came out of my personal account. That's what works for us.

my fee's come from the "secret stash" shhhhhh...this way the wife doesn't see an $80 charge for golf or worse yet a $300 charge at golf galaxy for a driver.

My ex is a forensic accountant. She also got the mail.

There was no hiding or secret stash.

To the question, I loosely budget it. Playing a round with 3 sons can get expensive quick. I’m a house poor bachelor right now.

My partner has aided and abetted my major purchases of late ,,, lf you want it get it ‘ , Broadly speaking though l am blessed with empathetic and amazing partner . No budgeted approach but also not extravagant purchaser of gear , more so with apparel but marginal.

Back