Afizzle2100’s Grandaddy Prep Extravaganza

Afizzle2100

Proud 2021 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Welcome THP,

As you may or may not know I was selected to participate in this years Granddaddy in December. I am super grateful and super blessed to be selected. My goal is to take you along with us as much as possible, while hopefully really bringing some historical perspective on past Grandaddy’s. This is going to be a swing progress, fitness progress, video updates, editing practice, club fitting, and question answering thread. I hope you guys get to know me over the next few months that way it will be all the more fun in rooting for us to win that belt.

I won the engagement contest and so for that I feel that much more obliged to bring to you all what I promised! Which I’m happy for. Because I need someone holding me accountable lol.

so to revisit what I said I would do. See below.

-video of reaction of the news
- chopping it up with teammates
- fitting of previous callaway equipment
-possible zoom calls/ or rounds with previous Grandaddy participants
-progress threads on fitness and handicap (love those threads)
-banter and convo with Callaway guys. Whatever they would like us to do pre event I’ll be happy to do.

If you’d like to see my reaction of being selected you can head to the https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?posts/9884035/

The team and I are constantly texting in a group message everyday about our games, Callaway updates, and everything else you can imagine. These guys are really becoming great friends of mine already it’s actually insane. We have so much being planned and can’t wait to bring it to you.

I have let myself get far too out of shape for my standards. I’m 6’3 and up until college weighed 185. I could eat/drink whatever I want and it would have no effect. I lifted heavy and ate clean and couldn’t gain a pound. Well years go by, babies are had, and the metabolism slows down. I now weigh 218. Not horrible, but very out of shape. My goal is to be 200 and feeling good by December. I never work out besides playing basketball once a week, so to start my plan is to ramp up my physical activity. My next phase is to cut soda and high sodium out of my diet. Finally I will go on a stricter diet a month or two before the event. I will have a separate post in this thread more dedicated to this topic, when my plan becomes more concrete.

As far as my swing I plan on doing a short video once a month showing what I have been working on and how I’ve improved. I plan on getting a few lessons before the event. However I haven’t decided who I plan on going to or what facet of my game I plan to work on. Regardless there will be pictures and clips of range sessions to show what I’m working on.

My camera skills and editing skills are mediocre at best. So it’s going to take the whole summer for me to learn and get better. And for that I will need content. So below are my ideas that follow along what I have outlined above.

-solo round vlogs at my home course. 9 hole variety.

-Early June I have a full bag club fitting scheduled at club champion for my birthday. I think this will be fun to go over all the equipment Callaway has to offer new and old. This will also be a fun video to compare back to once I’m fit by the Master Fitters at ECPC.

-a recorded match between my best friend (assistant pro at my home course) and a Mini-Tour player that graduated from my High School. This will allow me to focus on getting good shots with my camera and will hopefully show us some good golf as you won’t get much of that from me lol.

-Match Vlogs/ interviews with former Gdaddy participants. This is one of my highest priorities on this journey. My goal is once a month starting in June to play a 9 hole match with a former Gdaddy member and be able to interview them on their Gdaddy experience during the 9 holes. I have a plan to reach out to alumni over the next few weeks to try and set something up. If we start in June that would be 5 matches/videos. If you have participated in the Gdaddy and would like to be a part of this feel free to reach out to me. I live in Indiana. I’m hoping to connect with people in driving distance, or would be able to meet halfway with. Unfortunately my travel budget is cramped so I don't have the flexibility to travel a lot. However, I will be in Myrtle Beach in mid July and have a friend in the Tampa Bay Area so if you aren’t close still reach out if you are interested and we can make something work out hopefully.

-video of our Gdaddy team meetup. Without dilvulging too much our squad plans on meeting up in July for a weekend of golf and team building. I hope to bring my camera for a short vlog of our golf and some player profiles of our team. There will be more to come on this.

-prep for the Indiana state amateur qualifier on June 9th. This tournament has my number. It’s the only solo competitive tournament I play in throughout the year. My scoring average is an 85, however the two years I have entered this I have choked and shot 100. I didn’t grow up playing competitive golf. My natural home is on the basketball floor. I haven’t had the process and shots to lean on when the pressure gets high, or you need to recover from some very bad drives. Qualifying number was 80 last year. My goal is to shoot my average this year, with a lofty goal of just qualifying. I’ll take you along my prep for this over the next month.

-testimonials on feelings before the event.

My goal during the event as mentioned before is to bring some video of the experience, along with some match vlogs to be released at a later date that way we can see the new equipment in use and can get some context on the matches you will have already followed along with. Hopefully all of this different content I mentioned will not only provide us Grandaddy material to consume before the main course in December, but will also give me plenty of practice to make sure I’m polished with the camera by the time we get there. It may be ugly at first, so bare with me. I will always try to make it fun though and we can all laugh at it together :LOL:

This is a whole lot that I’m attempting here, but I plan on giving it my best shot as it’s been my dream to be a part of this event and I wanna leave my mark!

Stay tuned for separate posts tonight with some more about me personally and the current shape of my golf game. Let’s do this thing THP and enjoy the ride with me!

This REALLY is looking like a very special year for THP at the GD! Well done!

Going to be a great follow.

Enjoy and can’t wait to see the year play out for everyone.

Love all of this my man!!!!!!!

Hell yes bro, you're gonna kill this! Very much looking forward to following along 😎

Really excited to see where you take this. The path forward sounds awesome.

Keep it up! I'll follow along for the next 7 months.

Yesssss let’s gooooo!!!!

Lots of stuff that will really give an inside look to you, tour game, and the team... looking forward to following along!

What do you think the biggest challenge will be jn your personal prep? For me it would be the diet and exercise. I have gotten to off track it'd be like starting off at square one, but then my ego and machismo would kick in and remember how I used to lift x weight etc and I'd get discouraged. Hope it goes much better for you! Haha

It is always fun to see how other approach the Grandaddy and how it turns out. Looking forward to following your journey. And again, congrats.

Lots of stuff that will really give an inside look to you, tour game, and the team... looking forward to following along!

What do you think the biggest challenge will be jn your personal prep? For me it would be the diet and exercise. I have gotten to off track it'd be like starting off at square one, but then my ego and machismo would kick in and remember how I used to lift x weight etc and I'd get discouraged. Hope it goes much better for you! Haha

I’m gonna say very similar to your struggle. As for the losing weight, video editing, travel id say my biggest challenge will be pushing through adversity. What’s gonna happen the first time I get off track working out. What’s gonna happen when I put in 6 hours of editing work on a Saturday night and feel like I got nowhere towards the final product. That’s why I’m excited to be doing this in public. This is a great encouraging community and if I do struggle in front of everyone I know they will give me the motivation to keep going! Also making sure to temper expectations. I wanna enjoy this experience how it’s presented to me and not try to impose what I think the experience should be like in my head!

I’m gonna say very similar to your struggle. As for the losing weight, video editing, travel id say my biggest challenge will be pushing through adversity. What’s gonna happen the first time I get off track working out. What’s gonna happen when I put in 6 hours of editing work on a Saturday night and feel like I got nowhere towards the final product. That’s why I’m excited to be doing this in public. This is a great encouraging community and if I do struggle in front of everyone I know they will give me the motivation to keep going! Also making sure to temper expectations. I wanna enjoy this experience how it’s presented to me and not try to impose what I think the experience should be like in my head!

Regarding getting off track on the workout out and diet issues just forget about it and get back on track. None of us are perfect and when you slide just get going again. No regrets keep pushing forward.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. We aren’t professional golfers and most of us have day jobs. Do your best to prepare and when you go enjoy the experience don’t worry about anything else stay in the moment and have fun.

Regarding getting off track on the workout out and diet issues just forget about it and get back on track. None of us are perfect and when you slide just get going again. No regrets keep pushing forward.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. We aren’t professional golfers and most of us have day jobs. Do your best to prepare and when you go enjoy the experience don’t worry about anything else stay in the moment and have fun.

Exactly! I’m gonna do my best to plan and stick to it, but most importantly I’m just gonna have fun with it and let the chips fall where they may!

Let’s go Aaron! This is going to be fun!

Great stuff man! Looking forward to following along.

As for me personally.

My name is Aaron. I’m 28 years old. I have a beautiful girlfriend who blessed me with my 2 year old daughter. My time is either spent on the golf course or with them.

I’m from Indiana and have lived here my entire life. I grew up about 50 minutes north of Indianapolis, and that is currently where I work and live. I spent 5 years living in Bloomington, IN attending Indiana University. I finished at their Indianapolis location, with a bachelors in business management. I currently sell billboard advertising in Northern Indiana, and I really enjoy helping my clients implement creative campaigns to help grow their business.

I enjoy a good book, playing cards with friends, eating new foods, and just about every sport imaginable. My favorite teams are the pacers, colts, and cubs. I’m a fan of many college teams including IU, Ball State, Notre Dame, and Texas.

I grew up mainly playing basketball. I played tennis, baseball, soccer and golf all at different periods throughout my life as well. However basketball was my passion. I played on the club basketball team at IU, and was on the women’s practice squad team during my freshman year.

I always enjoyed playing golf, however I’d say at about age 24 I really started to take the game more serious. I played 2 years in middle school only so I could play golf for free as my parents didn’t want to open that financial can of worms by funding my interest in golf. I’ve been obsessed ever since college ended and really transferred my competitive mindset from basketball to golf. I’ve improved drastically since I first began, and I have a long way to go.

as it currently stands my handicap is 9.9. I’m a bit of a conundrum when it comes to golf. My average score is an 85, however I’m very much capable of shooting even par over a 9 hole stretch on tees as long as 6700 yards.

my best parts of my game are:

Distance off the tee and with irons and wedges.

very high launch and apex.

multitude of different shots when the game is working.

embracing the big moments

Straight ball flight

Worst parts of my game:

consistency of keeping things under control, not going OB.

Feel and finesse around the greens

Lack of spin at times on approaches and pitches
Overall putting

With improved consistency, better game management, and some fixed short game flaws I could easily become a scratch golfer. It’s gonna be all about putting in work over the next couple of months to make sure I’m at my best in December.

I attached a video of a short range session to give a feel of my swing. Very over the top, and need to work on some timing issues. However, I feel very comfortable where my swing is at when I am on my game. This range session specifically I was working on penetrating the ball into the wind. There are some windy shanks and some disappointed murmuring throughout the video so ignore that lol. I will have another range session up soon with more down the line shots as well as some actual drills I am working on. Stay tuned everyone as I hope to increase the activity in this thread each passing month. As always feel free to reach out and ask any questions, or give any suggestions!

B-21 3 Hybrid :25-1:45
Driver Epic Flash SZ 2:00-5:30
Ben Hogan PTX Pro PW 5:45-finish

I'm looking forward to following along

Who the hell let you in? 🤣

Congrats my man! Happy as hell for you!!

Can’t wait to follow your journey. Soak it all up. I’ll be enjoying every minute of this journey with you, here at least.

I think I’m actually going to take vacation days for the Grandaddy just to follow along. I get so far behind that I can’t keep up when I have to deal with stupid work stuff, 😂.

Who the hell let you in? 🤣

Congrats my man! Happy as hell for you!!

Lol it must have been a typo, and they were forced to go with it :LOL:

but thanks man! I‘m excited to get into it and get it started.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your prep with us.

Sounds like a lot of great content coming up, looking forward to following along!

Back