Go to Shaving Cream?

MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
What is your go to shaving cream with a safety razor?

Right now with temperatures warming up, it’s Proraso green.
1621353317596.jpeg

I'm a barbosol kind of guy for shaving cream. For razors, I have used Gillette since I started shaving and I am 38 now. I have tried dollar shave club and I just can't get a close shave with them and it breaks my face out.

Been using this over the last year. Coverage is great, allows for a smooth shave, and lasts forever!

1621353499378.png

If I have the time to take my time, Proraso is what I like best. Sandalwood (red) or sensetive (white).

When I dont have time, I go with Edge sensetive skin shave gel

This is what I use for shaving cream when I use my safety razor.
07C1EE7E-0DEC-47CD-B12D-3BA191D08BC9.jpeg

What is the difference b/w these? One a soap and the other a cream?
Yup, the tub is like a cream/soap croap that lathers with a brush.

I guess another topic is what blade do you like? I have been using Feather for awhile. Anything better?

no need for any cream when you don't shave haha

I guess another topic is what blade do you like? I have been using Feather for awhile. Anything better?
I’ve settled on these.

I don't use a safety razor, but I like Cremo for shaving.

Feather blades are a bit too aggressive for me! I use Astra, Voskhod, Ladas, and Lord blades.

I like ProRaso but don't care as much for the shave soap and brush approach. I use the ProRaso pre-shave cream, and then layer its with Edge gel. This is faster and less mess than layering pre-shave cream with ProRaso shave soap, and IMO actually works better too. #Blasphemy

Right now with temperatures warming up, it’s Proraso green.
View attachment 9008369
Been using this over the last year. Coverage is great, allows for a smooth shave, and lasts forever!

View attachment 9008370
If I have the time to take my time, Proraso is what I like best. Sandalwood (red) or sensetive (white).

When I dont have time, I go with Edge sensetive skin shave gel

Been a Proraso fan for years. I started with the Red but changed to the Green because I like the menthol in it.

When I started shaving with a safety razor, I bought some variety packs of blades to see what I liked. some of the brands I can remember using:

Feather
Astra
KAI
Gillette
Personna
derby
shark
Bic
Voshkod
Lord
Wilkonson Sword

The standouts being: Feather, Astra, Personna, KAI. Kai was super sharp but hard to find and somewhat expensive. Feather's were sharp, a bit pricey but easy to find. Astra was slightly under Feather in performance and price (good balance of price to performance) Personna was cheap and still performed well.

I ended up going with feather because I found I could get a couple more shaves per razor which justified the extra price for me. Just gotta be careful to use LIGHT PRESSURE on the first 2 uses...

Harry's Shave Gel

I use a caffeinated shave cream, from Pacific if I recall correctly. Works well, smells good my wife likes it, and lasts a good long time.

It is almost out though, I may try another one in the list here next time.

Harry's Shave Gel
I use Harry’s blades and gel. Never really gave it too much thought, saw it at Target and bought them and it is all good.

Barbasol Original and B.I.C Comfort 3... I only shave twice a week and keep a goatee to cover a scar on my chin, so that's all I need. I don't shave November-February lol.

Last edited:
I love Duke Cannon Hot Shave Gel, and then follow up with cool mint shave lotion. DC-Gel.JPGDC-AS.JPG

Barbasol Original and B.I.C Comfort 3... I only shave twice a week and keep a goatee to cover a scar on my chin, so that's all I need. I don't shave November-February lol.
Barbasol Original and BIC Sensitive Skin single blade. I also only shave twice a week, and keep a goatee of varying length. I've never spent a lot of time or money on shaving.

Back