The Tuna Controversy

I read an article last night where one lab had said they couldn't detect any tuna DNA in the Subway samples submitted to them. But they added the proviso that once tuna is cooked and chopped up, it denatures the DNA and makes it difficult to detect it. Another lab had tested it and said it was 100% tuna. Now the people who filed the initial lawsuit against Subway have backtracked and are complaining that Subway can't prove it's 100% sustainable line-caught tuna.

With that said, Jimmy John's has no room to be throwing stones, their sandwiches are the worst IMO. I'll eat a sandwich from the refrigerator of a gas station quickie mart before I'll eat Jimmy John's.

• Admin
Do people really order tuna from those kind of places? That's my equivalent to having gas station sushi.

Absolutely! Jimmy John's and Jersey Mike's both have really good tuna subs. That's about the only decent thing from JJ too IMO. Their subs are just so boring, they don't do anything for me. They are fine in a pinch, but it's usually a last resort type thing.

I read an article last night where one lab had said they couldn't detect any tuna DNA in the Subway samples submitted to them. But they added the proviso that once tuna is cooked and chopped up, it denatures the DNA and makes it difficult to detect it. Another lab had tested it and said it was 100% tuna. Now the people who filed the initial lawsuit against Subway have backtracked and are complaining that Subway can't prove it's 100% sustainable line-caught tuna.

With that said, Jimmy John's has no room to be throwing stones, their sandwiches are the worst IMO. I'll eat a sandwich from the refrigerator of a gas station quickie mart before I'll eat Jimmy John's.

I read the same thing, which is why I think the whole storyline is crap, but the email just now made me laugh. Their marketing team was all over "TunaGate".

Its a pretty interesting test case on this because the lawsuit was a complete joke and really could harm the company.
FWIW, I'm a Pub Sub person which those outside of the southeast don't know, but overall Jersey Mikes is my spot for national chains, but Jimmy Johns in a pinch for delivery can be tolerable.

Interesting @GolferGal I'm genuinely curious what makes them good? I will make a hot tuna and cheese sandwich at home, I think they are fantastic but I've never even considered eating one at a fast food / sub joint.

lol I saw this yesterday. I won't lie, I've always liked the Subway's "Tuna"

Interesting @GolferGal I'm genuinely curious what makes them good? I will make a hot tuna and cheese sandwich at home, I think they are fantastic but I've never even considered eating one at a fast food / sub joint.

I grew up eating Tuna, it was a staple in my home, so I will order it at many places. Diners make some of the best tuna sandwiches you will ever eat. I am not a tuna melt fan personally (that's what you described above), but don't shy away from one at a diner, you might just be surprised.

Now, with all that said, I also make a mean tuna salad. The key is a little spicy or deli mustard.

Its a pretty interesting test case on this because the lawsuit was a complete joke and really could harm the company.
FWIW, I'm a Pub Sub person which those outside of the southeast don't know, but overall Jersey Mikes is my spot for national chains, but Jimmy Johns in a pinch for delivery can be tolerable.
I agree that it's a sham of a lawsuit, I hope Subway can win some kind of counter judgment against the plaintiffs. Also agree on Jersey Mike's - of the big chains it's my first choice, although we have a couple local mom and pop places that are even better.

I agree that it's a sham of a lawsuit, I hope Subway can win some kind of counter judgment against the plaintiffs. Also agree on Jersey Mike's - of the big chains it's my first choice, although we have a couple local mom and pop places that are even better.

There is a place in South Florida called Laspada's, started as a mom and pop place and they had the most amazing subs ever. I believe they are still family owned but think they have 5 or 6 locations now. @BigDill have you ever tried a Laspada's sub? I am not sure they have them as far south as you are located. I took @JB to one years ago when we went back to Ft. Lauderdale for my grandfather's funeral. He's a believer now too.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Now, with all that said, I also make a mean tuna salad. The key is a little spicy or deli mustard.

What's the difference between tuna salad and just having a cold tuna sandwich? One has bread and the other doesn't? This is easily my favorite part of this forum, learning new and interesting things from other people.

I'll give one at a shot. I didn't grow up not eating it or eating it. Tuna was on the family rotation but it wasn't served more than spaghetti or meatloaf or other foods.

I think the lawsuit and now this DNA testing initiated by the New York Times will hurt Subway. It doesn't matter if there's an explanation why tuna DNA didn't show up in the tested product. The fact remains that it can be stated that DNA testing has revealed that Subway Tuna doesn't contain tuna. And people will believe it.

The lawsuit makes me chuckle. As if there are no matters more pressing for the legal system than a lawsuit alleging that people have been economically harmed because Subway tuna isn't really tuna and because Subway has made false claims that it's sustainable tuna that they use.

I can't understand why someone would order a sub much less a tuna sub from Subway. I guess I'm spoiled because we have so many good delis and markets that make excellent subs.

Last edited:
avoid the controversy and stick to Roast beef and Turkey - skip subway and go JJ for the #10 or #14 or #16 is good too!

What's the difference between tuna salad and just having a cold tuna sandwich? One has bread and the other doesn't? This is easily my favorite part of this forum, learning new and interesting things from other people.

I'll give one at a shot. I didn't grow up not eating it or eating it. Tuna was on the family rotation but it wasn't served more than spaghetti or meatloaf or other foods.
Tuna salad is what you make to put on tuna sandwiches. It's kind of a weird misnomer since it's not actually a salad, but there we are.

Tuna and tuna salad, same thing. At a deli it will often be called a tuna salad sandwich or a tuna melt. You won't just find junks of tuna on a sandwich, it will be mixed with mayo, usually onion, celery, salt, pepper, and then some places add dill or pickled relish (both of which I despise) and some will add a little deli/spicy mustard which is how I make my tuna (or tuna salad).

i like a little sweet relish in my tuna. and i have no problem ordering tuna out. our local dinner has a very good tuna sandwich

as for jersey mike's: there is one by us and i don't think they are that bad at all. had a steak sandwich a couple of months ago and it was pretty darn good.

You're all wonderful, I now feel more educated on tuna vs tuna salad vs tuna melt.

I'll go back to audits at work and thinking about all the tuna facts I've now learned.

I’ve been on a spicy Italian kick anyway. I’ll get a not tuna sub in the future, I’m sure. Firehouse Subs turkey bacon ranch is where it’s at anyway. Plus they have coke freestyle machines 👍

I’ve been on a spicy Italian kick anyway. I’ll get a not tuna sub in the future, I’m sure. Firehouse Subs turkey bacon ranch is where it’s at anyway. Plus they have coke freestyle machines 👍
Im a hook and ladder guy there.

I don't know about you, but I look forward to the day when an issue on this scale is the largest our society has to face.

Maybe I just had too much tuna salad growing up, but I'll take ham salad, chicken salad, or crab salad before tuna salad, if I have the choice.

Big fan of Jimmy John’s, but usually I am getting a WaWa Tuna hoagie.

Back