Spin is King. Prove me wrong

This debate comes up with drivers. I've heard the Callaway fitting folks discuss it on their radio show.

The basic summary is: pros need low spin because they generate such high clubhead speed. When the VAST majority of amateurs chase low spin, they're actually hurting themselves because they don't generate enough speed to keep the ball in the air without spin.

This is spot on. To be fair Chrome Soft gives players this although in a different way. I think there is a world where SOME slower swing speed players could actually benefit from a higher spin ball but like anything it's case by case. It's why I'm an advocate for a ball fitting. In my opinion, you build the bag around the ball.

We don't play courses like the pros. Generally our courses are a lot softer and fairways and greens are slower. Yes, spin matters, but getting something that works for your delivery and conditions matter more than having the spinniest ball or super low spin.

Chances are if you as an amatuer can't hold a green, a ball change might help but you may just not have the ability to spin the ball enough or have it come in with a steep enough angle.

It matters, but at the same time for most of us it doesn't.

Back