Getting more speed

MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
I watched a video recently with Rory and Maria about how to hit the driver with power. I like little Taylormade videos they come out with. Rory said that if he wants to get a bit more speed he will try and have a faster backswing to promote a faster dowswing. Has anyone had any success with this?

I attempted to do this 2 weeks ago off the tee on the 18th and hit a 290 yd drive (with roll) pretty straight . The backswing was just fast enough for me to feel a bit of x-factor in my left shoulder girdle muscles.

I tried it again last week with a super fast backswing and I could sense the downswing was faster but I just couldn't cope with the extra dynamic weight. I early extended and the ball ended up as a push slice on another fairway. My rhythm was non-existent so I didn't repeat the experiment again.

Sometimes , one just has to swing within one's limits.

The video above explains the physics behind it although you will need to understand the concept of work and energy.

There is another way to get extra speed (while still retaining the same ability to torque your upper body) and that would be by letting your lead arm bend by quite a bit (aka Harry Vardon) but then one brings in other timing issues in the downswing with regards the straightening of the arm, angle of attack , etc (the physics to explain this is more complicated). A simple analogy would be throwing a frisbee using a bent lead arm versus a straight one (while still using the same upper body torque) where one can actually generate a lot more force with the former.

Further , one could also try and create a greater lag angle at the top of your backswing or a longer backswing to try and help optimise your clubhead speed.

Last edited:
The first step to more speed is making sure your swing doesn't suck, then you can worry about this stuff. If you're not already somewhat fast, you won't get really fast.

When I pick up the speed of my backswing I tend to loose control and can’t hit it straight. I am creating more speed but it is crooked speed.

Yes, fast backswing makes everything break down and I loose all the angles at the top and the way down is a compensation mess. My body refuses to let me twist it up in ugly X factor way. When I try I end up flexing elbows and getting super wristy and throwing away the good angles. TONS of input but with slower output. For me if I want more speed turn harder at the top and release the club ( I tend to hold on out of fear of the left miss I fought for years)

When I pick up the speed of my backswing I tend to loose control and can’t hit it straight. I am creating more speed but it is crooked speed.
This^^^^^^^^^^
I will take slower and make really good contact and hit the ball far enough to get around the course and be in fairway 11/12 times a round.
Speed is great but if you can't control it or sync it up to get center contact and keep it on your target line then it is useless.

I believe @Tenputt had a similar thread about this and saw success when speeding up his backswing

The first step to more speed is making sure your swing doesn't suck, then you can worry about this stuff. If you're not already somewhat fast, you won't get really fast.

Cannot agree with this more. I have been taking lessons and have completely overhauled my swing. Started doing superspeed again as I was happy with the progress I have made, went in for a lesson and a couple bad habits have jumped back in.

My best advice for improving speed is get your mechanics in a good place, get your body in as good of a place as you can (strength/flexibility/etc) and then start some over speed training. If your swing and your body aren't in a good place to start, chasing more speed is probably not going to get you much of a benefit.

It is not really saying that you have a super out of control backswing. Just feel it a little bit quicker. Sometimes when I get to slow with the backswing I hurry a lot more in transition. With a little quicker tempo, for me, it has helped not rush the transition as much.

And I understand that having better contact with a slower speed can equal a better smash factor which can increase distance without having speed.

Back