The Sober Golf Thread

I am a pretty big beer drinker (part of the double meaning of my username), and use to only enjoy myself golfing if I was getting tanked with friends. Then I actually learned how to play golf, and was using alcohol as a crutch to calm the jitters.

Now I am better and more confident. I did dry January this year where golfed well several times soberly and conquered that crutch.

As some have mentioned, I think my sweet spot is 1-2 out of the gates and then coast depending on how I feel. 5-6 max after 18 if I'm doing a boys trip or an event. My coordination is really good and not affected so much, but my focus, patience, and concentration wanes the more I drink. Hungover from the night before has definitely proven to be the biggest killer of my game, and hair of the dog only helps with the hangover, not the golf game.

I've been limiting my alcohol use on the course. It has nothing to do with my game or hydration, though. A couple of months ago I got WAY too tuned up at the course (and the 19th). I had no idea how drunk I actually was until I pulled into my driveway. Let's just say the three steps (stumbles) to my doorstep were not pretty. My wife was absolutely livid (and rightfully so). I'm still ashamed of that display and thankful that I didn't hurt someone.

I'll still have a beer (the closer to the turn the better) but I don't get anywhere near intoxicated anymore. That might change at at certain trip to Austin in September but I will have to drive, literally, nowhere for four days. 🤷‍♂️

On a special occasion I might join others for a beer on the back nine or last couple of holes, but not more than one. All in, I might have a beer on course once or twice a year. Many more than that after the round 🍻

I've been limiting my alcohol use on the course. It has nothing to do with my game or hydration, though. A couple of months ago I got WAY too tuned up at the course (and the 19th). I had no idea how drunk I actually was until I pulled into my driveway. Let's just say the three steps (stumbles) to my doorstep were not pretty. My wife was absolutely livid (and rightfully so). I'm still ashamed of that display and thankful that I didn't hurt someone.

I'll still have a beer (the closer to the turn the better) but I don't get anywhere near intoxicated anymore. That might change at at certain trip to Austin in September but I will have to drive, literally, nowhere for four days. 🤷‍♂️

Been there, done that, not proud of it.

That’s another piece of the puzzle for me. I can say no to the first beer, but after that…

I drink more than my fair share and have started to cut it out on the golf course. It ends up leaving me frustrated and scoring poorly more often than not.

The only times I have drank recently is if I am playing with friends that are much worse than I am. It seems to be less fun for the folks really new to to the game when I play well (which, to be fair, isn't often).

I’ve been “on the dry” for about 6 mos. or so and it’s definitely improved my golf game, along with my blood pressure after dropping 30 lbs. (surprisingly, taking beer out my diet has been about the only change). Do i miss a few frosty cold ones? Absolutely, but i also feel a a good bit better physically, day-to-day. So, I’ll stick with my current regimen, and see how it goes...

I'll keep a shot bottle of Captain Morgan or something in my bag. Usually it's just for fun and making a good conversation with a 4some better.

Sometimes though, if I'm having a bad game where every stroke is fat and bladed and things are just going to ****, a shot will get me out of my own head and bring me back to basics a bit. OTOH, if I'm playing well, sometimes alcohol will throw me off and wreck my game. Depends if you're out there for fun or for score I guess...

I’ll have a beer during casual rounds - I’ll usually stick to a nice local craft brew though and make it part of the experience of being on course.

I also play plenty of rounds without. Tonight was a great example - just stuck to a sports drink.

I don’t like to be out of control at all and want to play my best.

I do like a beer, but I'm not one to drink on the course. My timing can be fragile at the best of times, and even with just one or two on board it all goes haywire and I might as well not be out there at all. Apart from anything else, I'm pretty much always driving to the course so drinking would be out anyway so it doesn't phase me at all. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered if my playing partners knock the froth off a few while they're playing, but it's just not for me.

I do like a beer, but I'm not one to drink on the course. My timing can be fragile at the best of times, and even with just one or two on board it all goes haywire and I might as well not be out there at all. Apart from anything else, I'm pretty much always driving to the course so drinking would be out anyway so it doesn't phase me at all. I'm not in the slightest bit bothered if my playing partners knock the froth off a few while they're playing, but it's just not for me.

Me too, I rarely drink alcohol on the course. Don't mind a couple Tito's after, but it's water or Gatorade while I'm playing 👍

Me too, I rarely drink alcohol on the course. Don't mind a couple Tito's after, but it's water or Gatorade while I'm playing 👍
We will be peak athletes on the course in October ;)

Mostly not, but the occasional round, I'll have a few.

I usually won't drink on the course but if some special event is going on then I might. I do know as I start getting deeper in the count my golf game will start suffering. I will have some afterwards for sure.

Definitely no green as my feeble mind will be mush (but maybe with my recent putting it would help) LOL

I drink nothing but water, or maybe an Arnold Palmer at the turn. The alcohol comes after the rounds, and I enjoy it even more then! Because I can just relax.

The only time I'll drink on the course really is during Wednesday's club skins. But even that is 50/50.

And so are the results, usually shaded toward not so good. But just this week, after bogeying 9 for +2 on the front I figured 'what the heck?' I grabbed not 1 but 2 vodka/cranberries at the turn.

Well, I cruised to -3 on the back going into 18 when I deftly doubled the finisher for a round of +1. Can't blame the booze, I was sweating so much and drinking lots of water along with it that I barely even felt a buzz.

But dangit, I want that hole back.

I used to drink a lot more when i played than i do now. I dnt mind having a couple drinks, but prefer to drink after the round moat of the time anymore. There are aways exceptions though.

Quite a timely thread and an interesting read; I'm had the typical experiences just like most others. I've actually been noticing lately that since one of our regular guys enables us during our morning round I have been enjoying consuming beer far too easily on the course, even at 9:00 in the morning, or whatever time we make the turn thereafter. It's defnitely something that I am going to change. Take yesterday for example - we were playing a resort course and the cart came around probably five times during our round. I declined the first two, accepted for one on the third and then declined the remaining two times. Did the first beer leave me wanting another? Absolutely! The price, however made it easier to decline. That combined with the fact that I was playing well made it less enticing.

Thinking back it's hard to fathom that when I started making the October trip to Florida to golf we would pack four to six beers in our golf bags to consume during the round. Fast forward five years and we don't even buy beer at the course (during the round) - it's water, water, water. We can't pass a comfort station without a reload.

I’m a nervous Nellie about drinking and driving, so I save the cold ones for when I get home and brag to Mrs. TLuke how totally awesome I was. 19th hole is most often an iced tea. On the course just water.

I have a strict 2 beer limit on the course and that is usually pushing it. I am sensitive to alcohol and don't like the sloppy feeling I get when I gave too many and it def won't help my golf game and like @TLuke mentioned DUI's are a real thing and I always wonder when i see someone get loaded on the course.

I did have my 1 moment of Drunkenness' on the course during a Union golf tourney where I broke my nose and Was super embarrassed the next day because that's not me and will never be repeated. 7 shots on the first 7 holes is a bad idea Right??

Now lets light one up every few holes and I am game!!

Last edited:
I have a strict 2 beer limit on the course and that is usually pushing it. I am sensitive to alcohol and don't like the sloppy feeling I get when I gave too many and it def won't help my golf game and like @TLuke mentioned DUI's are a real thing and I always wonder when i see someone get loaded on the course.

I did have my 1 moment of Drunkenness' on the course during a Union golf tourney where I broke my nose and Was super embarrassed the next day because that's not me and will never be repeated. 7 shots on the first 7 holes is a bad idea Right??

Now lets light one up every few holes and I am game!!
how the hell did you break your nose golfing.

I don't really drink anything other than water and maybe Gatorade on the course, because I don't like the slight tired, dehydrated feeling it induces that often takes me out of my game. I like to partake after the round for sure with the right company, but during usually causes issue for me.

I drank a lot when I first started playing golf. However, I learned very quickly that even moderate amounts of alcohol negatively affected my game. So, I would either limit my consumption to one beer per 9 holes, or forego it completely in favor of water and/or Powerade. These days - 25 years after I quit drinking - it's some combination of water, tea, and Powerade.

My game never was great, and alcohol was certainly no help.

Back