Homemade pizza/pizza over thread.

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
I recently got a pizza oven attachment for my pellet grill. Posted some pictures of my first effort in the outdoor cooking thread.

Trying a couple dough mixes from world market and amazon this weekend.
Picked up some hot honey and cured meats for topping so far.

Looking for some more topping ideas/recipes/techniques to keep trying.

trying this mix tonight.

cebdfd62-ca4b-4113-8952-7b49bd30e78c_1.61021cef1424ac7585a583439d36fa89.jpeg

My sister has a wood fired pizza oven in her backyard. They make their own dough sometimes but frequently just buy it from the grocery store particularly when they have a bunch of people coming. Even the fresh dough from the grocery store is really good.

I love grilled cooked pizza.

We get the premade dough from Wegman's. You stretch/roll it out and then put on the fresh-made sauce, mozz, and toppings.

So good

I like this idea of an attachment, need to look into this

Got an Ooni Koda a couple of weeks ago and got it fired up the first time, and was extremely happy. Finally being able to get up to 900* was a game changer.

Haven't tried that dough mix before, as I've always just made my own, but you'll have to let us know how that is.

I think I see Rec-Tec in the background of the finished pizza picture, so I assume that's the pellet grill you've got. Which model do you have and what pizza oven attachment fits it?

I think I see Rec-Tec in the background of the finished pizza picture, so I assume that's the pellet grill you've got. Which model do you have and what pizza oven attachment fits it?
yup, I've had the 700 for a few years now.

I have the green mountain grill attachment which fits the rec tech fairly well. pretty sure it fits in the smaller 590 as well.

you can see the front tabs don't quite rest on the lip, but the whole set-up was stable.

I love pizza. How long does it take to get some of those things up to temp? I know that is an issue for my sister's wood fired oven.

I love pizza. How long does it take to get some of those things up to temp? I know that is an issue for my sister's wood fired oven.
I'll have to time it but 20 minutes or so?

We do Grilled Pizza on our gas grill with a stone and we get the dough from the Pillsbury Roll section of the Grocery Store.
We did for the first time last year and we were surprised how well it came out.

Suggestions on the best gas grill attachment?

I have just used the grill, but having an attachment might work even better

yup, I've had the 700 for a few years now.

I have the green mountain grill attachment which fits the rec tech fairly well. pretty sure it fits in the smaller 590 as well.

you can see the front tabs don't quite rest on the lip, but the whole set-up was stable.
I'm going to have to show this to my dad. He has a Green Mountain and they have talked about doing pizzas. If only this would have been a month ago it would have been a great present for his Birthday or Fathers Day.

As for topping suggestions, I like artichoke hearts sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil with a balsamic reduction drizzled over the top. Pro tip on the sun-dried tomatoes: put them under the cheese so they don’t burn.

My Wife bakes a a "breadless", deep dish pizza, both indoors, and outdoors on the covered grill. Tastes just as good as a breaded pizza. Looks, and serves like the real deal too. Best disposed of with a fork.

The ingredients, and how to can be Googled, as I don't know what all is involved.

Whatever carbs/calories that are saved by not using bread is cancelled out by all the added toppings she uses.

We do Grilled Pizza on our gas grill with a stone and we get the dough from the Pillsbury Roll section of the Grocery Store.
We did for the first time last year and we were surprised how well it came out.

Do you have the stone directly on the grate? I saw a post where they set it on two fire bricks. I suppose it helps with heat distribution?

Curious...

Those look great @baylrballa. I am surprised the cheese only dorks have not come in here to tell you about how much better plain ass cheese pizza is.

If you like sourdough, try making or borrowing a starter and then keep it going for pizza!

Several years ago, I did pizza on my Weber - it was a two-step process - grill one side for not long, bring it in, put on toppings, and bring it back out - a PITA. The Kudo is tempting. I made my own dough - wasn't difficult with a food processor but took time beforehand. Sprouts has a premade frozen brand that is good.

Finding housemade pepperoni, the right italian sausage or spicy soppressata is difficult. My pizza place in Dallas is making a brisket and sausage pizza now with barbeque sauce - sounds like a travesty but my barbecue place is making brisket, sausage and putting it in mac and cheese. That was actually good. Experimentation ...

My Wife bakes a a "breadless", deep dish pizza, both indoors, and outdoors on the covered grill. Tastes just as good as a breaded pizza. Looks, and serves like the real deal too. Best disposed of with a fork.

The ingredients, and how to can be Googled, as I don't know what all is involved.

Whatever carbs/calories that are saved by not using bread is cancelled out by all the added toppings she uses.
[/QUOTE

Which is what I like! Pizza is not supposed to be a staple food! In our day, it's supposed to be a treat!

Those look great @baylrballa. I am surprised the cheese only dorks have not come in here to tell you about how much better plain ass cheese pizza is.

I see ads for "cheese only pizzas, and I can't imagine anyone signing up for that program. My absolute minimum is extra cheese, pepperoni, sausage, pepperoni, and then serve it to me!

Back