Am I overreacting on this build?

Cruskater

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA Sucks
Hey guys! Priority the last few weeks has been getting my wife's new Apex 21 built with her new Accra i-series shafts. We went with a local shop in MA known for their fittings and builds. (As much as I want to learn to do them myself the missus doesn't trust me!)

The grips are perfect but the ferrules installed on the .370 shafts are a little big and not sitting flush. There is a noticeable gap on the 4 and the 8. Can't tell if it is just the ferrule or the shaft isn't in the hosel. She also noticed scratches and glue marks on the hosel. This "premium" fitter charges $35 a club. Too much?

Attachments

• 20210702_162120.jpg
    20210702_162120.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 20210702_162112.jpg
    20210702_162112.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210702_162033.jpg
    20210702_162033.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 161
If you paid $35 per club, the ferrules should be pristine. They have got to repair that for you.
Good Luck.

From looking at the pics, I wouldn't be satisfied at all with those builds. If that's a "premium" builder, I'd hate to see what a "non-premium" build would look like! That looks like some hack did it in his garage while high on acid.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn’t be ok with that even if it were free. Hope you can get them fixed up without trouble!

I'd take them back. $35 a club it better be good. I'd be upset.

Not okay at $35 per club. I'd have them rectify.

No way ... that sucks, take it back.

That is not acceptable at all.

looks like a beginner took a shot at those - I would know from my garage builds

Yes those need to be returned and redone. That is terrible work.

That looks pathetic, I’d have been embarrassed to send that out the door to someone. At 35$ a club I’d expect quite a bit more in the quality of a build at that cost looks like they either set the ferrule to far up the shaft, didn’t trim the collar an had too deep of one, or to much epoxy caused pressure to allow the shaft to creep out of the hosel while curing. The builder should have checked this on the dry fit, epoxy process, while they were curing and after they had cured. Seems like 4 missed opportunities to check and if that was the case should have still been fixed before the customer got there hands on it.

Looked closer at the second photo and would guess the lie is to upright as well and there might not be the collar needed to allow that much travel in the hosel alone :facepalm:

Gotta take them back, refund wont fix it, they need to step up, I’m betting they say you didn’t buy from us, no warranty.

From looking at the pics, I wouldn't be satisfied at all with those builds. If that's a "premium" builder, I'd hate to see what a "non-premium" build would look like! That looks like some hack did it in his garage while high on acid.

My first impression was that a graphite shaft with a parallel tip has been glued in a head with a taped hosel. It is hard to tell from the pics. If this is the case they should be returned and the hosels drilled to take a .370 dia. parallel tip.

A late reply, but you are not overreacting. At $35 PER CLUB, the installation should be professional. The work you show is not. If I were you I'd take them back and request the installer correct their poor workmanship.

In a broader view I think the ferrell gap is purely cosmetic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have taken a couple clubs to be re-shafted at a Golf Galaxy and it looked much better than those.

by the title, I was expecting something a bit nit-picky. this is not that at all. I would totally be unhappy with that if I paid that much to have them put together.

Looks like crap, I’ve done better work in my living room.

That’s sh***y work.

I charge a standard rum fee AND I don‘t turn ferrules and I would still argue my work is more competent than that garbage.

Uninstalling and reinstalling graphite isn’t the perfect fix here either.

I charge a standard rum fee AND I don‘t turn ferrules and I would still argue my work is more competent than that garbage.

Uninstalling and reinstalling graphite isn’t the perfect fix here either.
What do you think is the fix? We brought them back to the place (a place called Joe and Leigh's) to have them redone. Some epoxy on the other clubs too. Can they screw them up further? They're new Apex heads.

Thanks everyone for the input! Glad I wasn't overreacting! Or my wife when she stormed into the shop demanding a fix.

What do you think is the fix? We brought them back to the place (a place called Joe and Leigh's) to have them redone. Some epoxy on the other clubs too. Can they screw them up further? They're new Apex heads.

Thanks everyone for the input! Glad I wasn't overreacting! Or my wife when she stormed into the shop demanding a fix.
Well, it’s kind of tough. Graphite uses resin to keep the components together unlike steel which is pretty much bullet proof to heat. So, arguably, them pulling the shafts doesn’t put them back into the condition they were originally sent in - although I’ve removed plenty of graphite with no issue so likelihood of it being a REAL problem is probably pretty low.

THe short of it? They could have done a WAY better job. I bet I could have done better with the lights off and a hand tied behind my back and I’m hardly a ‘pro’ at it.

THe short of it? They could have done a WAY better job. I bet I could have done better with the lights off and a hand tied behind my back and I’m hardly a ‘pro’ at it.
Ive never built a club in my life, don’t have any of the tools to do it, and I’m pretty sure I could do a better job after watching a couple YouTube videos and using my existing hand tools in my garage. Those look like the builder had his third grader do them.

Back