Good mid-tier set of irons?

AndyL0711

I Need To Play Some Golf!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I went out and spent $1,000 on a new set of irons that I just do not like. They will be on the market place next week :(. Since I play less then 10 times a year now, I just can't spend that kind of money again. So what would be a good $500 to $600 iron set.

Yes getting fit for a set is great but paying $250 for a fitting will defeat my purpose of trying to save some money. Thoughts?

I went out and spent $1,000 on a new set of irons that I just do not like. They will be on the market place next week :(. Since I play less then 10 times a year now, I just can't spend that kind of money again. So what would be a good $500 to $600 iron set.

Yes getting fit for a set is great but paying $250 for a fitting will defeat my purpose of trying to save some money. Thoughts?
There’s a million variables at play here. What looks are you comfortable with size wise? Offset wise? How much forgiveness? What’s your swing speed range (long or short or in between)? How do you launch the ball? Do you make enough spin?

like @Jman said we need a lot more information. but my brain immediately goes to srixon z565.

If you’re a decent ball striker for your HC the Hogan Apex Pros are a good choice.

If you like pure distance and need some forgiveness the PXG 0211 line is usually available in that range. You might want to check their lofts though before adding a 4i as their 5i is 21*, at least in the set I had.

Sub70 is another line I’d look at. You can get into another set similar to the PXG from a performance aspect for around the same price. I would play these but by the time I had changed out shafts (they up charge the ones I wanted, PXG didn’t with MMT’s nor does Hogan with the UST’s) and added a wedge or 4i I was close to a grand. But if you stick with their stock shaft options they’re great. 5-PW is $499 IIRC last I looked.

Tour Edge HL series will set you back right around $500 brand new.

@Jman My info is I suck...just kidding. My swing speed has dismissed over the years, age and injuries. I have a tougher time getting the ball in the air now. I need a forgiving club that will help get the ball airborne. Who doesn't want distance but not My main thing. Not a huge fan of offset...I feel like I am going to pull them. Just don't like the offset look. No clue on swing speed anymore. I hit my 7 iron around 145 to 150.

Just stumbled across these on a Facebook group
Screenshot_20210704-093512_Facebook.jpg

@Jman My info is I suck...just kidding. My swing speed has dismissed over the years, age and injuries. I have a tougher time getting the ball in the air now. I need a forgiving club that will help get the ball airborne. Who doesn't want distance but not My main thing. Not a huge fan of offset...I feel like I am going to pull them. Just don't like the offset look. No clue on swing speed anymore. I hit my 7 iron around 145 to 150.
Haha, I feel that brother.

Honestly, I’d look towards something like Srixon 585’s that can be had for a good price and will be playable for YEARS. Amazing feel, forgiving, and still look good.

Honestly, I’d look towards something like Srixon 585’s that can be had for a good price and will be playable for YEARS. Amazing feel, forgiving, and still look good.
Srixon has never crossed my mind but now I will definitely give them a good look....thanks 👍

Thoughts on sim max? Same'ish price range.

Stay behind the wave of “new and improved” and save a ton $$$.

(Sent from my iPhone 6s with $8.00 replacement battery and now works like new🤣)

then i stick by my original thought: srixon z565. look great. not a ton of offset. feel fantastic. good launch and decent spin.

another good one is apex cf19. personally like those better than apex 21.

I was going to say a pre-owned set of Ping G series irons. But they have a fair amount of offset. If you know anyone with i200’s or i210’s… give them a swing. Far less perceived offset, but some is still built in for that little bit of assist.

I think you are setting yourself up to be disappointed again. Probably wish you had gotten fitted the first time. I know I would.

Given your current situation you'd probably be best served by an independent retailer or club builder with used stock that will let you try before you buy. Used clubs will be less expensive and at 10 rounds a year, I think you'd be better served by finding clubs that work reasonably well for you versus having something shiny in your bag that doesn't work for you, which is the current dilemma you are trying to get out from under.

You may have to search a while and drive a ways to get to someone like I described, but places like that do exist. We had one locally until the fellow passed away 5 years ago. He refitted his 2 car garage and had it filled with used equipment. He operated it for 20-30 years.

Cleveland UHX is a set that gets great reviews which is right around your price range and is supposed to launch high.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Cleveland UHX is a set that gets great reviews which is right around your price range and is supposed to launch high.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
This is another EXCELLENT recommendation. Maybe the best yet actually.

This is another EXCELLENT recommendation. Maybe the best yet actually.

wouldn’t it be a decent bit of offset? op said he’s opposed to that.

wouldn’t it be a decent bit of offset? op said he’s opposed to that.
Nope. They don’t have a lot of offset. Something Canadan and I talked about a lot on Range Days.

Nope. They don’t have a lot of offset. Something Canadan and I talked about a lot on Range Days.

i looked up specs and if i’m reading it right the cleveland are about 1mm more offset than other irons i thought about for op. picked up the uhx once in the store based on thp love and put them right back down because the profile was pretty far from anything i’d consider.

i looked up specs and if i’m reading it right the cleveland are about 1mm more offset than other irons i thought about for op. picked up the uhx once in the store based on thp love and put them right back down because the profile was pretty far from anything i’d consider.
Interesting, as I hate offset, and those didn’t phase me at all.

Look for a set of Bridgestone JGRs. Thick, strong lofted, fly high

I agree with the others on the 565. I did pick up a brand new set of Honma TW-X irons for a steal on eBay and they’ve been fantastic. Just buy from a reputable seller if on Ebay

Back