Search results for query: *

1. baldguy

WTB - Cleveland Altitude 5-PW heads: $150ish

I thought I'd throw this out there. I'm looking to upgrade my father's set (he's about a 40 HCP) to something he can get elevated more consistently. I think the altitudes will do the trick. I intend to put senior flex graphite shafts in them, +1" with oversize grips. If you have those shafts...
  2. baldguy

Struggling with hybrids

FK, lately I've been focusing on being smooth and quick rather than powerful (trying to kill it) with my swing. It has yielded good results, but it is causing issues with my hybrids, I think. With irons a smooth swing gives me the distance I want, sometimes even a bit more. The result is...
  3. baldguy

Playing lesson - what to expect / request?

I realize that what I want from a lesson is mostly dependent on the state of my game and what I'm looking to improve, but I'd like to hear from other THPers who have done the same thing. I have a 9-hole playing lesson scheduled for tomorrow and if it goes well I will probably continue with that...
  4. baldguy

One day to play near London, England. Where should I go?

Work is sending me to London for a week in early July. I'll have one day, a Tuesday, to play golf. I could feasibly play on Friday afternoon as well, but that one isn't as easy to plan for. I won't have a car, but I can take a taxi to someplace relatively close to London. Public transport is...
  5. baldguy

Playing well when playing through

Today I went out as a single, trying to move through the course quickly. Easy enough to do on a Thursday afternoon. I blazed through the first 5 holes but caught up to the crowd on the 6th. a long uphill par 5. I could see a 5-some in front of me and a 4-some up on the green. I patiently...
  6. baldguy

Callaway Custom Orders

Has anyone placed a custom order through Callaway? I know they are a frequent sponsor for THP stuff and everyone raves about them, but I'm particularly interested in how they assemble clubs. For example, my fitter gave me the go-ahead to buy Apex Pros if I wanted them... and they can be had...
  7. baldguy

WTB Fujikura Pro 73 TS X-flex shaft

I was recently fit into a Fujikura Pro 73 x-flex for my driver. I'd love to relieve a fellow THPer of an unwanted one before hitting the bay or a retailer. If you have one of these, preferably unaltered (not tipped, etc) then I'm a buyer. 46" length, if at all possible. Let me know!
  8. baldguy

Review: Turkey Creek Golf Course in Lincoln, CA

This past week I was in Sacramento, CA for business. Work wrapped up a bit early, so I did some looking around for a nearby course that my work associate and I could get a tee time for during our downtime. Turkey Creek in Lincoln, CA fit that bill nicely! Since this was an unplanned outing...
  9. baldguy

Baldguy's Club Champion Fitting - Dallas

For a while now I've been wanting to get a proper fitting. I've done the thing where the salesman watches while you swing some new clubs, then he picks the most expensive one or his favorite on as the winner. I've done the thing where an instructor looks at your swing, measures your...
  10. baldguy

Birdie on the 1st! he survived though.

So today I stepped up to the first tee and pounded my driver... right into the center of a blackbird that decided to try for an interception. I've never even seen that happen before. He dropped straight to the ground and lay there, not moving for at least 2-3 minutes. My playing partner and I...
  11. baldguy

Pace of play - walking versus riding

This has been brought up a couple of times in other threads recently and I thought it was an interesting discussion that deserved its own thread. Here are JB's thoughts from another thread on my assertion that walking is generally faster: Maybe the issue really is that those walking tend to...
  12. baldguy

"you have to compress the ball!"

I have a bit of trouble wrapping my brain around a couple of concepts that people throw around with regards to the golf swing. I studied physics quite a bit in school, and I'm an engineer by trade. Although my profession deals more with the electrical and computery type stuff, the concept of...
  13. baldguy

WTB: Cleveland 588 RTX Satin 50* blade wedge - $60

Looking to pick up a 50* to match the 54 and 58 I recently added to my bag. Blade type, not CB. Standard L/L/L or extended 1" w/ oversize grip. Will pay $60 shipped for one in good condition - let me know what you have!
  14. baldguy

What would you have done?

I was on the range earlier this week next to a guy who was struggling pretty hard. He was shanking nearly all of his shots really badly but he had a look of determination and I admired that. Even if he kept spraying me with dirt :D Now, it hasn't been that long since I *was* this guy...
  15. baldguy

Tour Edge Exotics Wedges - Tour Proto v1.1 wedges

Has anyone had a chance to check these out? I looked for threads but the only one I found was from a demo day in 2012 and nobody talked about the wedges. Rock Bottom Golf has the 3-wedge set on sale right now for $135. I know people have had surprising success with a lot of TEE gear, and I'm...
  16. baldguy

Monte Scheinblum's "voodoo putting"

I recently watched Monte Scheinblum's video "Short Game". It has a lot of good tips and info for those of us working on shaving strokes from 75 and in. One of the most interesting and frankly strange things he mentioned was something he calls "voodoo putting". It's a way of intuitively...
  17. baldguy

Ridiculous hero/recovery shots

I had one of those recovery shots today that makes you wonder where the TV cameras are. I've only had a couple of these in my short time playing this game, but they really do stick in your memory. I'd love to hear stories of other shots like this. Here are the two most memorable recovery...
  18. baldguy

WTB: 38" counterbalanced putter - $40

Looking for any decent name brand counterbalanced putter playing at 38". I'd like it to have a heavier head. Something like the Cleveland Classic. 350-400g head... really anything will work as long as it's quality, in good shape, and 38". Mallet or blade, doesn't matter. I'm trying to...
  19. baldguy

Golf product placement on mainstream TV

So, I was watching the first season of the TBS show "Ground Floor" - fun show! In a few different episodes, John C. McGinley's (Dr. Cox from Scrubs) character is using Taylormade clubs. The name is plainly visible, and the clubs recognizable. He putted with a Ghost putter, used what I think...
  20. baldguy

Energy Drinks & Shots

the only time I will even consider one is if I've been up more than 24 hours (always work-related) and have to be sharp... and only if I can't easily get my hands on espresso
Back