Search results for query: *

1. S

Trying to Break 100

Played in a scramble today. Got paired with a 40 hcp who had previous experience playing in his youth. That was pretty fun. Playing partner was a great supplement to me own volatile play. Shot 82, 2nd place for our combined hcp group :D
  2. S

How many birdies do you want to make in 2021?

4/30 5i, 8i, putt from ~12 feet was trying to barely squeak by. Took a peek in and fell down, poor thing. Had several opportunities today. Hope this keeps up over the week. Paid time off, hooray
  3. S

Trying to Break 100

According to my handicap, i should be working to break 90, i guess. In reality, still working on consistency. Played a leisurely 9 holes stuck behind a couple of groups with 2 separate balls. The best scores add up to 41, the worst to 54. Quite the spread :unsure:
  4. S

Do you call penalties on others?

Had the weirdest experience in my last competition. Played with 2 old guys. Old old, both 70+, one almost 80. They knew each other for years and had seemingly established a certain cheating threshold. Couldn't watch too closely for fear of accidentally mimicking their crab-man swings. Favorite...
  5. S

Trying to Break 100

18 Hole competition at my club today. Shot 99 (stableford scoring, counting 3 dnf at the 0pt limit), coming in tied 1st place in my handicap class (20+) back office entered my 5 at the last hole as a 9, so it's officially 102 and third place until (if!) they fix it. :rolleyes: club president...
  6. S

Trying to Break 100

Weird day. Windy. Had my first encounter with a marshall in 5ish months of membership. Didn't even know they had those here, whoops. So the good man sent me packing to collect my bag tag. Having returned, i still managed to walk 16 holes, cutting 16 and 17 out to return on the last glimpses of...
  7. S

How many birdies do you want to make in 2021?

3 down, 27 to go par 4 4th, 370m. Driver, 9i and a little luck on the 4m putt. par 3 12th, 132m. 9i and a good 1.5m putt ALMOST capitalised on a nice drive down our short par 5 7th. 430m - but knocked the hero 5w attempt behind and right of the green. On the edge of OB, too. Settled for par...
  8. S

Trying to Break 100

shot 96, 46/50 starting on the back 9. 1 lone par on the scorecard. Oh, yes, i got an actual scorecard to commemorate the occasion, alongside my usual ruddy notepad. It tried to get away from me, especially in the second half where i 3-putted three times, hit a ball into the water just quietly...
  9. S

Single Playing Through

competition takes priority; randoms shouldn't be between competition flights. Full course in general? I've played behind groups and had fun. as a single, play multiple balls. it's all good practice. i did previously quit and take the shortcut back to the clubhouse when the league players in...
  10. S

Trying to Break 100

had a pretty good time today. 46 through the front 9, went on through 5 more for a total of 78 - 21 left to get through 3 par 4s and 1 par 3... collected a double on the 2nd because i'm bad and a triple on the par 4 4th by skulling a ball through the green from a ~40m bunker shot and being...
  11. S

Trying to Break 100

Just wanted to get a range session in for the evening, but i guess it was team training day or something. entire length taken up. Went round the front 9, no warmup or anything, haven't swung a club in a week due to our excessive rain. Course has been open for a couple of days, but is still...
  12. S

Bryson's Driver

but at what cost
  13. S

2021 Open Championship Contest and Thread

The wedges have been awful for Bryson several tournaments in a row now. Any particular reason he wouldn't purposefully try to leave himself longer shots into the greens instead of banging it out there into his woeful wedge range? (and/or the rough)
  14. S

Trying to Break 100

47 through 9 today. Blew up the 2nd with an "other" (9) via some military golf on approach shots 3/5. Aligned wrong, hit straight into penalty area. Rehit from same spot, aligned for the pin on the left side of green, got the draw and OB it went :) Otherwise quite content with how my day went...
  15. S

How recently were you fit for clubs?

I had a "fitting" as a beginner after my first couple of lessons. "Yep, fats everything. Here's your set of shovels. next!" I may go get fit when i make it to the single digits, just for the good vibes, but really... factually, i don't believe it has a significant impact beyond the mental.
  16. S

Pros vs. Joes

I've taken a liking to Wolff because of his intriguing preshot routine and extravagant swing pattern. But due to how this thread started i must declare my firm support of DJ and BK.
  17. S

The Last Other?

3rd hole of my hc-relevant competition round thing on thursday. extremely nervous playing with strangers and in a competition for the first time in years Shanked it into a red penalty area right off the tee. Wanted to take the stroke and distance penalty to re-tee, since i actually like that...
  18. S

The best shot of the round

had a great time out there today by my standards. Nominated for best shot of the round: uphill putt for birdie across the 6th green, about 10m. Got it on a good line and past the hole. Left myself about 1.5m and sank the return. How's that good? 2 days of heavy rain, unmown, ultra slow greens...
  19. S

Worst shot of the round?

wasted two balls for practice shots on the 2nd today. hit the 3rd shot fat. Surely i can do better? Whack, there goes the push right into the middle of the penalty area. hit the 4th shot fat, too. Made it to the green, but, really? Drop another one... and hook it into the woods left of the...
Back