Search results for query: *

1. J

Score Card Collecting

Do any of you collect scorecards and/or yardage books? I have a shoe box (almost) full of score cards and yardage books or course guides from various courses I have played. My interest in collecting has waned as my golf travel has diminished and I am going to get rid of this collection. If any...
  2. J

Switching Balls on Tour

Did I just hear what I heard? Friday 8/28 at 1:10 pm I was watching the LPGA event on the Golf Channel. I swear the commentators said that Shen-shen Feng has a ball for full shots and another ball "designated" for putting. My understanding is that this is not permitted in these tournaments. I...
  3. J

New = Old Club Names

Watching the tournament today I noticed that the announcer explained that, on a short par 4, the player was using "less than driver". I think, at various times, we struggle with the terms "3 wood" or "5 wood" since no modern clubs are made of wood. Is it time to revert to the old terms for...
  4. J

LED Bulbs - interference with other appliances

Ihad an interesting experience recently; I installed LED bulbs in the sockets of my garage door opener. They seem to have interfered with the signal from the remote buttons both hand held and integrated in my car. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
  5. J

How do Sponsorships Work?

I know that players are paid to have logos on their bags, hats, shirts, shoes, etc. etc. Are they paid a certain amount for a bag or a hat or are they paid based on how much exposure they get. For instance, do they get a certain amount for every minute that they are on TV wearing the sponsor's...
  6. J

What is RIGHT with golf?

We seem to focus a lot of energy on what is wrong with golf. We "complain" that golf takes too long, it is too expensive, it is hard, the rules are too complicated and unfair, etc. While there is validity to some of these positions and there are some ways to attack some of these issues it may...
  7. J

Driver Shaft Length Adjustment

I have a 47 inch shaft in my driver and I am having some control problems. I think I want to shorten it (an inch at a time) until it works better. My question is; "will choking up on the grip provide the same change as shortening the shaft?" Can I tell what will happen if I taake 2 inches off?
  8. J

Disney Cruise with Grand Kids

Wondering if anyone here has taken a Disney Cruise. I have one Caribbean cruise under my belt and I am not a big fan but, to celebrate a couple of significant birthdays we are planning to take the family on a three day cruise with Disney to the Bahamas. Does anyone have advice or concerns about...
  9. J

Bifurcation

This could be painful, kinky or a topic for the ACLU depending on your definition. My interest is in the possibility of having two (or more) sets of rules. The general discussion concerns the potential for one set of rules of golf for the PGA tour (or all professional tours) and a different set...
  10. J

Course Rating and Slope men vs. women

One set of tees has a different rating and slope for men and women. This has come up at our course because some new "championship" tees are being added to lengthen the course. As a result some of the "mens" and "senior" tees are being adjusted to make the spacing between sets of tees...
  11. J

Caddies and Alignment

It is more common on the LPGA tour but I see that Vijay's caddie stands behind him when he is setting up to putt. It is my feeling that setting up to hit a shot of any length is the responsibility of the player alone. I have no problem with the caddie and player discussing the line or type of...
  12. J

Curse You, THP (not really)

I have a friend who has a family relationship with some at THP. Because of him I discovered this group and became somewhat active. I say "curse you" because, when I found THP, I had a pretty good golf game and was reasonably happy with my game and my equipment. Since finding The Hackers'...
  13. J

Graphite Shaft Experiment

After exchanging a few posts on the KBS Tour 90 thread I have decided to experiment with changing to Graphite. I currently play Hogan Apex Edge Pro irons with the #3 (regular) shaft. As I "mature" my distance has deteriorated and I do not hit the ball very high. I have always been somewhat of...
  14. J

Kudos to GolfTEC

I went to "my" GolfTEC store today for a "Component" (read driver) fitting. I am a short hitter and am playing with a driver that is about 5 years old. I figured it was about time to upgrade and, maybe, pick up a few yards off the tee by picking up some new technology and having it...
  15. J

Barnsley Gardens & Tour Championship

Register to Win 4 Rounds at Barnsley Gardens Resort & 4 Tickets for 4 Days to the Tour Championship Presented by http://www.atlantagolfnow.com/contest
  16. J

Mizuno Wedge Set Review

Several months ago I got a "tune up" at GolfTEC and had good results. I began hitting more solid shots and picked up some distance with most clubs. While this is all good, I found I had a distance gap between by Pitching Wedge (110 yds) and my Sand Wedge (80 yds). I saw this as an opportunity...
  17. J

US Army Supports Iraqi Boy/Girl Scouts

Deleted per original poster request
  18. J

Putting Lesson

I am considering going to GolfTEC for a putting lesson. I have read most of the books and watched the videos but, for a guy who is consistently sub 80, I am a terrible putter. I counted 9 legitimate opportunities to make putts today (inside 15 feet) and I made ONE. Shot 78 and could have...
  19. J

Short Game Strategy

On full shots I often consider where I want my "miss" to end up. I would rather be 20 feet long on the green rather than 10 feet short in a bunker. On short pitches, chips, sand shots and long putts I am trying to make or get as close as possible regardless of where my "miss" might end up. Is...
  20. J

Grip: Overlap or Interlock, that is the question

Some of you may know that I have visited GoltTEC for lessons; I am happy to say that they are paying off. I am also experimenting with the shaft length of my driver. Well, here I go again. Just for fun, at the range today, I tried an interlocking grip. I have been overlap for MANY years...
Back