Search results for query: *

1. DonW

Greens too fast?

At what point do you guys say the heck with it and write down 2 strokes and move on? We had snow yesterday and today was cold and windy, get to the second hole and after 4 putts I picked up and moved on. I could not get the ball to stop near the hole, 1st putt three feet above just creeps by the...
  2. DonW

My favorite course, renovation vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hkaXj2vDyI hopefully they don't screw it up, my son proposed on the 8th tee to his wife. It's killing me living in Illinois now it is over 10 hours driving time now.
  3. DonW

Course staff unable to mow?

With all the rain my local course hasn't mowed since last week, fairways don't drain well but the worst part is the nonstop rain. Played Wednesday and we were losing balls in the fairway, and playing from the fairway was like hitting out of rough, was taking extra club every shot and still...
  4. DonW

Crazy tee box distractions

On the second tee yesterday, just as I start my back swing a dump truck pulls up to the back of the box and idles waiting for me to finish my swing. I try to recompose myself and duckhook it twenty yards out in the deep rough behind a huge evergreen. Chip back into the fairway and now hitting...
  5. DonW

Crazies on the course?

Courses just opened in the past couple of days, rained all night and the course recently sanded greens, as we're playing some of the pins were stuck in the cup do to sand jamming them up, rest were tough to pull. But what are you gonna do, we were just thrilled to finally be out swinging clubs...
  6. DonW

Great day until I got home,

was getting purchases from store out of backseat and hear loud rustling in my evergreens, turn just in time to see large buck with nice rack and doe streak past. A second doe lagging behind freaks upon sighting me and turns hard left toward front door, with out slowing it leaps over a bench and...
  7. DonW

Average green size?

Does anyone know what is the typical green size? Years ago I heard it was 5000 sq ft but now I can't find anything that lists such a number on the internet. Looking at TCI they list 7000 sq ft as their average, this sounds huge when I think of what I typically play on, which is tiny. Pretty sure...
  8. DonW

At what point?

do you touch another players ball? Was hesitant to post with this with the other threads concerning poor etiquette but it is really bugging me. Friday playing in couples league my partner in scramble drives his ball from ninth tee right next to the cart path separating holes 9 and 10, players...
  9. DonW

Played in a Fivesome today!

Have done it before and it was horribly slow, don't even ask me how a sixsome works speed wise! :banghead: But today I played with an 84, 80, 78, and 74 year olds and myself at 54. I was a little hesitant but this is our regular foursome, usually someone doesn't show and we play as threesome or...
  10. DonW

Golf ball when putting?

I have been using E6s but recently bought a dozen Bridgestone B330RX and love everything about the ball except putting with it, it just feels kind of dead when putting. I've had a bunch of three putts lately with this ball but have had some of the best rounds scorewise so I am really torn. I use...
  11. DonW

It was one of those days!

Living in the Quad Cities I have the good fortune to play golf with Hawk and JRod on a regular basis, with MothersDay we decided it was wise to forgo our normal Sunday morning round so we went out Saturday to play the Rock Island Arsenal course to change up from our normal course. At one time...
  12. DonW

Wildhorse Golf Club, Gothenburg Nebraska

Anyone played this course? There are some internet sites that claim one of the best in the state, but have been let down in the past by commercial golf sites. 90 miles from my cousins house, is it worth setting up a get together with my cousins?
  13. DonW

Stupid Golf Commercials

Am I getting crotchety in my old age or are these some of the worst? I can handle Rocco and the NBA tattoo guy but that screaming moron in the Slazenger commercial makes me want to buy a gun so that I might put him out of his misery. :banghead:
  14. DonW

Pheonix next week, courses to play?

Will be in Mesa Monday through Wednesday next week, have any recommendations for courses to play? Prefer less than $80, will be single so probably walk on and hope to get out. Anyone in the area want to hook up and play a round during the day with me?
  15. DonW

It's official we've lost our mind!

Skipped out to play a quick 18 and as I reach 6th tee I look over to see the Hawk teeing off on the 2nd. We say hi and continue on all bundled up with 20 mph winds and a high in the low 50s I'm bogeying every hole which is great play for me. At the 12th it's really blowing and starting to...
  16. DonW

Wilson Staff X1 distance ball

No longer being able to find Wilson Zips I went looking for some Noodles and came across the X1 and figured at $20 for two dozen I would take a chance. They feel like the WS DX2 (no longer made), soft like a Zip but less spin thus fly straighter. I liked them, they aren't any longer than any...
  17. DonW

New Mmeber from Rock Island

My name is Don, former teacher, then Realtor, now looking for next career. Currently in process of moving to Rock Island where golf is much cheaper than Minnesota and the season is longer (I'm in heaven). Have played golf off and on for the past 45 years, currently trying to regain the form I...
Back