Search results for query: *

1. StLCardsFan

Are you a “Matcher”?

I prefer if the wedges match, but if they don't it is fine. Iron shafts do need to match, but I'd think that is pretty common. I don't want to have a DG X-100 in the 8 iron and a PX 5.5 in the 5 iron. See a lot of talk on here about grips and as long as they were the same size, you could put...
  2. StLCardsFan

Bunker or No Bunker? That Is The Question.

Depends on how good the bunkers are. I'll take a good bunker over bad or thick grass most of the time, but if the bunkers are horrible I'll take my chances with whatever solid ground I am on.
  3. StLCardsFan

Who would be the worst PGA player to caddie for?

The one that doesn't ever make cuts and money.
  4. StLCardsFan

Golf lessons $$$

The best guy in my area is about $50-60/hour. He does outdoor on the range or indoor in bad weather. Was the best $400 I ever spent on golf 15 years ago. I think much of it depends on the area you are in and what the average cost of living is.
  5. StLCardsFan

Are you guilty of not keeping score?

I might not always write it down, but I always know where I am in relation to par through the round. My dad was the best at the mental scorecard. We could play in a foursome and he could fill out the entire scorecard from memory after the round. I have no idea what I shot in a round two months...
  6. StLCardsFan

Have you ever been ready to leave the game

Everyone goes through that at some point or another. You do have a few options though. 1. Take a break and don't touch a club for a few weeks. 2. Lower your expectations, have fun and realize that you are not a pro golfer and you will make mistakes and hit bad shots. It's much worse...
  7. StLCardsFan

Bizarre, weird, or odd town names near you

I don't live near it, but have driven through on a few of occasions. There is a small town in south-central Iowa called What Cheer.
  8. StLCardsFan

Unable to Book Single Golfer - Is This Normal?

The course I usually play doesn't book singles (or at least they didn't years ago). They usually tell singles to just show up when you want to play and they will match you with an open group. It's just kind of show up at 9, tell them you are a single, they look at the book, "twosome at 9:20...
  9. StLCardsFan

What is your backup putter?

I've had great success with the wedge blade when being lazy. As long as you can hit the center of the ball, rolls pretty well.
  10. StLCardsFan

Private membership decision. What do consider to be a reasonable commute?

For me it would depend on the type of drive. If it's 4-5 minutes to a highway, 40 minute drive, then 4-5 minutes to the course, it might be okay if it was a top notch course and I knew a bunch of people and always had fun there (which course is it?). If I'm having to go through town and stop...
  11. StLCardsFan

What's your favorite 30:30?

I haven't seen many of the newer ones, but "The Two Escobars" has always been a favorite.
  12. StLCardsFan

Do You Regrip Your Own Clubs?

Have done it myself for many years. Don't have any sort of setup at all really. Use a pocket knife to cut off the old grips and tape, then have the solvent in a small spray bottle so I can coat the shaft and grip and leave no mess. Usually just put flatten out a box of cardboard to keep the...
  13. StLCardsFan

What is your preferred ball flight?

Straight. I try not to move the ball unless absolutely necessary.
  14. StLCardsFan

Shoe Bags

I've had a few given to me over the years, but just can't get into them. Just too big of a pain in the butt for me. I have a plastic tote to keep shoes in the car and use shoe trees to keep the shape.
  15. StLCardsFan

What’s your preference - Stock Grips

I usually use whatever is on the club until it's time to change out the set. Don't want to waste a new grip. Although I am a Tour Velvet/Crossline guy and that style is what comes on the majority of clubs anyway.
  16. StLCardsFan

Random Pairings - Success Stories!

I had taken a week off work and went out to play on a Monday morning at a nice public course. I was a single and they paired me with a couple of guys who were late I guess and when another twosome headed to the tee I asked if I could join and they said okay. Make introductions and seem like nice...
  17. StLCardsFan

Idea on how to cure a slice from a 19 handicap golfer

Many years ago I was a chronic slicer but was good enough most of the time to keep it under control. Finally went to get lessons and he wanted to change the slice for the draw just as the OP described. After 6-7 lessons we got it figured out but i was never able to hit the draw, but pretty...
  18. StLCardsFan

How Hot Is Too Hot For You Not To Play Golf

I'll play in whatever heat/humidity there is if I have a purpose for it. Meaning if I have friends that want to play or some sort of event/tournament. Doubful that I'd go out solo on a Saturday afternoon by myself though.
  19. StLCardsFan

Top of the Rock - best driving range I've ever seen!

Not that it matters for balls landing on it, but the landing area there is all synthetic turf. Still a great visual though
Back