Search results for query: *

1. darthweasel

Winter full of sim swings: Will it translate to the course?

The question: is sim golf helpful? The anecdotal evidence: as a self-proclaimed "fair weather golfer" I don't get as many months to golf as I would prefer. as I type this I am watching the rain fall and knowing I ain't teeing it up for real today. With that said, for the last year and change I...
  2. darthweasel

How would feel...

I used to wonder if they got looked at. I dislike using carts though will when circumstances are right, and I never keep paper score in reality...but a couple times I thought it would be funny to fill out a card when for one reason or another i was driving a cart and it had the card/pencil...
  3. darthweasel

How would feel...

\ demonstrably false. I have seen guys who took 4 shots on a hole take longer on the green than I did to play the entire hole taking a 6 or even an 8. Of course, I might be an outlier, and numerous people I have been matched up with have made comments along the lines of "you have the fastest...
  4. darthweasel

Random Thoughts based on a round with 3 guys much better than I

Oh, I do. I pretty much have an awareness of who is doing what and most likely outcomes. I am matched with a lot of randoms and...well, for example, a week or two ago was matched with a husband/wife who had a side-bet going. I was thinking about the break on a putt and overheard the lady saying...
  5. darthweasel

enjoying reading the responses. one thing that catches my attention...to me what they were doing did not look like "boring golf" and indeed is more or less what i aspire to. It wasn't like they were hitting every fairway and, in fact, on at least two holes deliberately played to a different hole...
  6. darthweasel

Who is the best YouTube instructor? And why is it Danny Maude?

the serious comment...echoing what others have said, Padraig "Paddy" Harrington is amazing. I think it was his first video where he got into the grip...and his "if you have a bad grip you can't play good golf. If you are trying to get better and have a bad grip you should just quit"...not a...
  7. darthweasel

A second observation was dispersion. This came up on hole 3, a par 3 over water. The green is pretty wide. The left half is over water and has a bunker behind it. It is a two tier green with the left side being the upper tier. On this day the pin was at the far left edge, making it the most...
  8. darthweasel

I recently joined a semi-private club. It has been beneficial in several ways...one being the slowest round I have played on the member side (there are 2 courses they rotate: one is "private" for 2 weeks, the other "public", then they switch them) is 3:43. One one of those days the wife was...
  9. darthweasel

6 hr round

Long rounds tend to get tedious and also there is an age and flexibility state where the long waits can cause it to be physically painful to take the next shot. six hours hits that mark...actually is long past that mark for me. When I go a few minutes between either walking or swinging my back...
  10. darthweasel

Nebulous Question Alert: At what handicap is one considered a "good" golfer?

made me laugh because, particularly when I am block practicing working on something, I can produce a series of really beautiful shots that make me look like a highly competent golfer. . A couple days ago was working on clubface control and as there was a target at 145 had my 9I in hand...
  11. darthweasel

Should we go good good?

pretty sure you can make alligator leather...
  12. darthweasel

"Consistency" - what does it mean?

appreciate the thought you put into it. All too often someone mentions they are seeking consistency and the instructor/forum peeps all have to be the "smartest man in the room" syndrome and spend the time pointing out consistency is impossible instead of trying to define what someone is looking...
  13. darthweasel

Provisional Ball Question

In tournaments, I personally keep the "2" balls specifically for provisional. any other number for first shot, when I need to hit a provisional it will be marked as normal but the number on the ball will be "2". for me an easy, elegant solution that has served me well.
  14. darthweasel

Bouncing balls onto greens.

A lot of times it has to do with the course almost as much if not more than your shot arc and/or spin. i think of 2 courses relatively close to each other...Aspen Lakes is in Sisters, OR and even a modestly arch shot can and will hold the green. By contrast Pronghorn Nicklaus in Bend, no matter...
  15. darthweasel

Would you play Chambers Bay?

this thread had a lot of hate for it. Only played it once with Armygolf, Tequila4cap and a guy whose name I don't know on here...been something like 4 or 5 years and I still think about it. Love that track, well worth playing
  16. darthweasel

Worth it to go to the driving range in the cold?

depends. If I am working on stuff...after 2 or 3 balls I don't notice the cold. If I am hitting balls...no. But each person reacts to weather differently. I prefer somewhat cold to hot...i find I can warm up much easier than I can cool down. But if you are someone who needs bulky clothes to...
  17. darthweasel

Pacific Northwest/Vancouver, BC Golfers Group

Ultimately went with the Reserve. Little more expensive but the practice facilities and courses are so much better...plus I avoid the nonsense of the 217-26 drive...win? lol. We will see how it goes this year.
  18. darthweasel

been thinking about you and the fam, hope all is going well my friend.
  19. darthweasel

so speaking of Rock Creek...I mentioned above I did not love the course and the driving range is...uh...technically a driving range. With that said, I am considering joining it for those days I want to go play and don't want a 4-1/2 hour round...any members on here? have a couple questions 1)...
  20. darthweasel

Are Range Finders Worth It?

one app you may find helpful both in the "range" as Canadan wisely suggested and learning your yardages as Raiderboost mentions is an app such as..well, personally I use Golfpad. 20 bucks a year, gives me my club distances, gives me my strokes gained so I can identify the weak points in my game...
Back