Search results for query: *

1. DG_1234

TOP 10 REASONS iron head sizes have become too large

I respect the late, great Karsten Solheim. Throughout the 60's and 70's he used his natural intelligence (original thought) combined with his engineering skills to create remarkably innovative clubs with extraordinary functionality. By the 80's his heirs had essentially taken over the company...
  2. DG_1234

I like tech advancements. For example, vehicles now have rear view cameras which have likely saved thousands of lives. I respect engineers and would hire one to draw plans for building a house, bridge etc...
  3. DG_1234

Here is a link provided by vgolfman : * please scroll down to the bottom where "player type" is revealed https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2021-apex-tcb.html
  4. DG_1234

Tour pros are paid by equipment companies and as such are reluctant to comment (publicly) about the negative aspects of particular club models.
  5. DG_1234

*SPOILER ALERT* the following post foreshadows a forthcoming TOP 10 REASONS fitting is overrated list: Whichever model is recommended for you I am certain it will be the best fit for range play, because the fitting was done based on driving range factors such as an essentially perfect level...
  6. DG_1234

If we're talking about equipment produced within the past 20 years, I say the game is 98% technique and 2% equipment
  7. DG_1234

One does not have to buy a book written by a Touring pro. Any competent PGA member teaching pro you ask will advise students to learn to strike consistently straight, reasonably solid shots with shorter shafted clubs before moving on to longer clubs. This is Basic Golf 101 stuff.
  8. DG_1234

I learn about golf from people who play the game well. For example, just about any golf instruction book written by a Tour pro will advise that most amateurs are better off swinging 3-wood from the tee boxes than they are with a driver. And for a beginner or high handicap the pro will likely...
  9. DG_1234

Instruction and range practice would be most helpful but for at least 50% of players what you've posted is a good starting place.
  10. DG_1234

Maybe. The truth is that thousands of people played consistently good shots with those irons. No question that for lots of players there are positive benefits to shallow face height design golf clubs. I am glad you posted this photo because it is an example of the type of club which was very...
  11. DG_1234

There is no data for playing shots from sloped or grassy or other less than ideal lies. There is no data for an individual playing rounds of golf with an over size iron head versus a relatively small size iron head. To learn what's what players must get out on the golf courses and play rounds...
  12. DG_1234

I had actually planned to do a list of TOP TEN REASONS fitting is overrated but have held off because I figure there is a 50-50 chance such a list would get me banned from THP. For now I will just ask you to please see the first post of this thread and read numbers 5 , 6.
  13. DG_1234

Categorizing irons is a marketing strategy which has made players reluctant to buy (or even try) the club (s) which might produce for them the most consistent on course results. And categorizing equipment by handicap level has brought about club shaming , which is not good for anybody.
  14. DG_1234

Honestly, even though he does not like the content of my messages, JB allows me to participate here and I respect that. If my post (s) can help even one player shoot lower scores or get more enjoyment from the game, it is worth it. However, directly confronting an employee of a forum sponsor...
  15. DG_1234

I am drafting a TOP 10 GOLF CLUB DESIGNS list and don't want to spoil that, sorry. Please wait for the list.
  16. DG_1234

From your list the ZX7 head size is too large. I know that one because a few guys I play with have that modl. In recent years the Titleist CB line was a good sense head size (top to bottom and heel to toe) but the the cavity back not deep enough to provide significant perimter weighting. I...
  17. DG_1234

Thank you for the good question ! What the industry currently lacks is relatively small head size deep cavity back (perimeter weighting) iron designs. Perimeter weighting in an iron head is a very helpful feature, but its benefits are diminished when the head size becomes too large.
Back