Search results for query: *

1. S

The Great Super SGI Shootout! XL Halo vs PXG 0211Z vs PXG 0311XP

Evidently I'm bored. Thus late night eBaying has resulted in three sets of SGI irons arriving on my doorstep. The THP favorite Cleveland XL Halo. The web favorite PXG 0311XP Gen 3. And the mostly ignored ugly duckling of the PXG family in the form of a set of 0211Z 'irons'. The 0311XPs and...
  2. S

Cleveland XL Halo vs Altitude

I'm looking at experimenting with the new XL Halo irons, but the stock shafts don't suit and so I would need to order custom. Browsing at 2nd Swing, I've seen a set of the old Altitudes with a shaft that suits for 1/3 the price of the XL Halos. So how close do those who have tried both think...
  3. S

PXG 0211Z vs Cleveland XL Halo irons

On a whim recently, after a period of crap ball striking, I bought a set of Halo XLs. So far, long high and straight even with my current wonky swing. Enough so that I've been pondering ordering another set with more suitable shafts and grips. Given I'm a bit of a PXG fanboy, however, I'm...
  4. S

The new new thing: Fairbrids. Why?

The longest lasting club in my bag is my Cobra F6 Baffler. It is a compact 5 wood head, with a shorter shaft. Sound familiar? In recent weeks the Cleveland Flywood, the Callaway Apex UW, the Cobra Tec Hybrid, the Callaway Super Hybrid, and no doubt others have launched with much fanfare. Not...
  5. S

What do you do when you've achieved all your golf goals? (long rant)

I've been playing golf seriously for about 30 years, by which I mean I joined a club, got a handicap and play almost exclusively in comps. When I was younger I hit my drives a long way, but not very accurately. I had a persistent 'power draw' with my irons. And I was an awful putter. So my...
  6. S

Recoil 780es vs XP95 shafts

Anyone have any experience with these two shafts head to head?
  7. S

Callaway Steelhead Pro irons - any sightings

Apparently these are due for release next month. I've heard they have less offset and a darker finish than the regular model. If anyone saw them on their recent Callaway fitting I'd be very curious to know how dark the finish actually is. BB OS dark or Apex Black dark?
  8. S

The hybrid to iron transition point. Two 5 irons?

I've just been fitted for Steelhead Xrs. I hit them well (obviously) and they are notably longer than the equivalently lofted G30s they'll replace , and my long-term JDM GBBs. I also had great results with the hybrids, and I'm hoping they'll finally knock off my ancient Adams Pro Golds. Where...
  9. S

Trackman smash factor. Is over 1.5 even possible?

I recently did a Trackman fitting at (by rep) one of the better fitters in my town. I was a tad hungover, so swingspeed was less than expected. However, smash factor was way more than I expected with the shaft they were pushing. I averaged 1.50 and had three 1.52s out of nine. I was under the...
  10. S

Accuracy of different launch monitors (indoor)

Normally I buy clubs used, try them and flip them. So no fitting. But I'm eying the Callaway Steelheads which are too new for used. So I figured I should get fitted. I went to one local store with a 'Full Swing S4' simulator. It indicated that the SHs were indeed longer than my current irons...
  11. S

Fairway replacement hybrid

I hit hybrids better than fairways, so I'm looking at a low-lofted (16-17), large headed and forgiving model to replace my woods. The Adams Super S seems a likely contender, but are there any others I should consider? Adjustability would be nice.
  12. S

'Distance' irons vs 'player' irons - Adams CMB vs Callaway XR

There is an increasingly acrimonious thread on another website based on a video by Mark Crossfield. He basically says there is no measurable difference (for him) between blades and player's irons. So you may as well play blades. Normally, I would have thought this was nonsense. My theory was...
  13. S

Best Sunday bag (single strap)

I used to walk every round, but age, sloth and foot issues mean I now usually ride. As a result, after 10 years I have finally replaced my Ogio Sticks bag with a larger more cart friendly unit (Molhimawk Swag). However, there are occasions I want to walk. Usually for 9 hole practices. i did...
  14. S

Callaway XR/XR Pro combo set

Is anyone using the XR Pros and XRs in a combo set? Or are the Pros forgiving enough that there is no point?
  15. S

Shanking every new iron I try.

I haven't played at all for a few years because of a new child and now have permission to start playing again. I was always a bit of a club ho, so figured technology has advanced and it is time to upgrade. No problems with the driver, fairway, hybrid and wedges. Different story with irons...
Back