Search results for query: *

1. TrojanMan

5-wood Shaft Recommendations?

I play the Mistubishi TENSEI AV Blue in both my driver and 3-wood; 70g Stiff (which is actually 77g, I believe). Both driver and 3-wood are Epic Flash, FWIW. Contemplating a 5-wood to replace my 3-hybrid. I like the TENSEI, but I think for a 5-wood I'd likely want/need to go up a bit in...
  2. TrojanMan

Question about Driver vs 3-Wood Shafts

I'm wondering how you guys set up your driver vs 3-wood, in terms of shaft profile. I was fitted in the Tensei AV Blue 75-S shaft in my Flash SZ driver. And so far, it's giving me mostly good results. Last week, my 3-wood shaft snapped on the course. So I ended up getting a Flash SZ 3-wood...
  3. TrojanMan

Shaft/Loft combo & its effect on launch...?

For those of you with far more technical knowledge and club fitting insight than I have, what would you expect the ball flight differences to be between a 9 degree driver with a mid-launch shaft, and a 10.5 degree driver with a low launch shaft? I realize different heads, different shafts, and...
  4. TrojanMan

How do YOU choose wedges?

I change wedges somewhat frequently....probably every 9-12 months. That's due in some part to groove-wear, and in large part to getting bored and wanting something new and shiny. And wedges are easier/cheaper to swap out than iron sets, drivers, etc. Hitting off mats at your local superstore...
  5. TrojanMan

To be, or not to be (a putter ho)....that is the question

Alright, stream of consciousness putter thoughts/questions..... *What is it about putters? If I have a bad day chipping, I don't immediately day dream about other wedges. If I have a round where my tee balls hit the parking lot more than the fairway, I'm thinking about hitting the range, not...
  6. TrojanMan

Downhill Bunker Lie, w/ a Long Carry.......help?!?!?

A number of times in the last few rounds I've played, I've found myself in a greenside bunker, closer to the edge that's opposite the green. So it usually means a slightly awkward stance, a slightly downhill lie, and a fairly lengthy carry to get out of the trap. Anybody have a reliable method...
  7. TrojanMan

Trying to Improve Consistency, but Playing Once a Week

The obvious answer here is play more golf. But work, kids, life, etc...... I play almost once a week on average. I think I recorded something like 48 rounds last year, plus a handful of charity scrambles and things like that. I also hit the range and/or short game practice area as much as...
  8. TrojanMan

How different "should" your irons and woods swings be?

I've realized that I generally hit my woods well, OR my irons well.....not usually both at the same time. Golf is hard, etc., etc. Yeah, I know. For the last month or so, I've been hammering the woods (and hybrids), but inconsistent with the irons. Last week, I rediscovered a feel key with...
  9. TrojanMan

Longevity/Durability of Forged Irons?

Just wondering if there is any sort of consensus on how often forged irons “should” be replaced? I swap wedges about every year because I like the spin from fresh grooves. Irons are a different story, but I’m curious if forged irons will wear much quicker than cast irons, and their performance...
  10. TrojanMan

Putter Grip Similar to Scotty Mid-size Matador?

I put a SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 on my Spider, and I feel like I want to change to something a little different. I really like the feel of the midsize Matadors on the Scotty putters, and would like to find something close to that to try on my Spider. I picked up a Winn midsize pistol, and their...
  11. TrojanMan

Alternating Putters

I just posted about this in the Ping Sigma G thread, but it got me thinking...... I have a new Spider Red, so I'm not looking for another putter. But I've always liked the look/feel/simplicity of Ping putters. And every time I walk through the PGA store or Roger Dunn's, I end up grabbing a...
  12. TrojanMan

A few wedge questions -- color/finish and swing types

I developed a habit awhile back that I haven't been able to break. I started using my gap wedge for a WIDE range of distances, because on full shots my sand and lob wedges basically went straight in the air, and not very far. For the last several years, I had Cleveland 588 RTX's in 56* and...
  13. TrojanMan

Need input/recommendations on a new bag

THP'ers.......help! I'm on the hunt for a new bag. 90+% of the time I'm on a cart, but, I do walk occasionally, and I carry my bag to the range, practice area, etc. So, I want a carry/stand bag, BUT, I'm not terribly concerned with weight. I'd rather have a bigger one with a little more...
  14. TrojanMan

Hello from Orange County, CA

Hi all, Love the forum here. I'm in the process of revamping the whole bag, and stumbled upon this site a few weeks back as I was researching different irons. Been lurking/reading since then, and figured I'd bite the bullet and sign up. Been a casual golfer for the last 10 years or so -- I'd...
Back