Search results for query: *

1. thommo.sx

So, lemme ask a question….GI versus SGI……and the golfers who should be playing them.

@Hamfist - I think a lot of the light bulb moments with the GI/SGI clubs are results of understanding what your fault actually is, and whether the club in question addresses that fault. Some of them are built to be explosive and just to add distance, which is great if you hit it consistently...
  2. thommo.sx

Rest In Peace, Queen Elizabeth

I'll be honest, after a week or so of this I can now appreciate that rather than outright sadness, it's the odd, low-level feeling of unnerving background disorientation that its given me that's my dominant feeling. I suspect more than a few people who identify as pro-monarchy may find in a few...
  3. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

I always use the Peter Alliss one I heard him say once - apparently his old headmaster was called Archibald Cadogan (pronounced "Caduggan"). At your normal speaking speed, start saying his name as you initiate the take away, and you should finish your back swing at the end of "Archibald", start...
  4. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Morning #b100 - just like Halley's comet, another irregular, far-too-long-between-them check-in. Hope everyone is doing well in here, and chins are generally up, rarely ever down. Been playing weekly, work not really playing ball with my desire for > 1 round a week, but we take what we can...
  5. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Was that the one you were using when I was over? If so, I 100% endorse that club for you.(y) Even though I think it was relatively new to you at the time, you were hitting it pretty much where you intended most of the time.
  6. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Yeah, its a bit annoying, but it's just some ultra rust I need to get rid of - been no ranges open either, and I just haven't felt motivated to get out swinging in the garden, so I'm just playing a bit ot catch up. It'll come (I hope) (y)
  7. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Hey all, long time no post - lockdown/golf stopping sucked donkey balls 💩, but I've payed every week since the UK resumption, and to describe my game currently as "haphazard" is wildly underselling it. 7 rounds in total, 2 just a bit better than h/c, 2 slightly worse than h/c, 3 where I might as...
  8. thommo.sx

Tag a THPer

Why, hello there. Hny(y)
  9. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Didn't play great, pretty famine or feast, carding an 88 which included 4 (count 'em) blobs - putting got me the score. Both the Halos performed well, when my appalling thrashing allowed them to. Any reasonable connection and they were bang on. The only real things I noticed were that 1. the...
  10. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Yeah, it goes hand in hand with the acknowledgement of what I can and can't do as my game develops (or doesn't), and playing to some realistic targets. Its not necessarily fewer clubs, but more 'focused' is the best way I can describe it. Getting the TopTracer at my local range was helpful to...
  11. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Just out of curiosity, do you ever try and open up the S*nd W*dge? My regular playing partner had a case of the Sandy McSh*nks recently because he was trying to hit it high, so opened it up and tried to cut across it...it did not go well. He was presenting more than enough hozel for things to...
  12. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Hey all, busy couple of weeks for me, 5 rounds shot an 82 (par 66), 82 (par 70), 2 x 87 (both par 71) and a 90 (par 72). The 90 could very easily have been a lot higher, but I stuck to my new simplified bag and shot selection criteria, and got it back on an even keel much quicker than if I...
  13. thommo.sx

Happy Birthday Thread

Cheers Snickers(y)
  14. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Yeah, just one of those rounds. (y)
  15. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Had a totally mad +21 (92) today. I feel like I played both better and worse than that. Better - short game was pretty good. Chipped in twice, and sank 2 putts of over 20 foot from the fringe, for 3 gross pars and a gross birdie. Worse - I was abysmal off the tee today, only the alt tee club...
  16. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Think of these percentages when you're on the course, not data gathering. That would be my concern. We all play differently, though. I wouldn't have the minerals to bag a normal 5i, let alone a 4i.(y)
  17. thommo.sx

What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Yeah, I've played that as well (called AD333 over here), that'll be in the mix for sure. I do want to scratch my Bridgestone itch though, as Srixon is a known quantity for me.
  18. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

I found it's swings and roundabouts, as the irons are flat faced rather than roll-and-bulged like hybrids. Theoretically starting less offline in the first place, but also less compensatory gearing back to target. I am definitely pro hybrid for most players overall, on a larger sample size, I'd...
  19. thommo.sx

Trying to Break 100

Take it. (y) Or, if you feel a bit cheaty about taking it because its short, play it again, and only play hybrid or iron off the tee. See how it plays from your normal distance away from the green.
  20. thommo.sx

What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Wilson DX3 SSP. Lovely, soft, good spin off full shots, not too grabby on shorter shots (I am enjoying paying bump and runs rather than checking chips), and does what I want it to. Of course, they don't make them any more, so I'm just playing through my stash. New Gamer search initiated. Not a...
Back