Search results for query: *

1. millsan1

Entertaining start to the golf year

Friday was to be my kickoff for the golf year. My course is playing temporary greens (i.e. in the fairway) and walking only. Friday was supposed to be 60 and sunny. Ended up 50, cloudy and wind whipping. Ah well, took the afternoon off I should go play. Whump whump whump. I could not hit...
  2. millsan1

Yeah, a golf coach is worth it

As many know I take lessons and work on my swing a lot. There have been a bunch of threads asking if a golf coach or lessons are worth it. Here is my latest reason why I think they are. I've been working with my coach for about 3 years. Like many, I'm tuning up for the season. My sim has...
  3. millsan1

What to call a HIO on a par 5

So we have birdie, eagle, albatross, but no word for a HIO on a par 5. I vote pterodactyl.
  4. millsan1

Bryson speed session

Just look at how hard he is grinding looking for small improvements. The amount of effort he puts in, off the course, is impressive. https://golf.com/instruction/bryson-dechambeau-speed-training-session/
  5. millsan1

What skill or hobby did you take up this year, outside of golf?

I do all sorts of things. My ex wife says that my hobby is hobbies. This year I took up butchering. I am a hunter, and normally have my game processed. This year I decided to do it myself and butchered a hog and a deer I took a couple weeks ago. In parallel to this, I've taken up curing...
  6. millsan1

Difference between an 80 golfer and a 90 golfer

I'm kicking myself for not bookmarking an article I just read, but it laid out the difference between someone who shoots 80 and someone who shoots 90, from a strokes gained perspective. But I did read it, and found it to be very interesting. I, for one, thought that when you see an 80 vs a 90...
  7. millsan1

My Club Champion fitting, Philadelphia, Oct 2020

While @LoffKat and I were not fans of how her fitting went a couple years ago, I decided I wanted a real fitting, to help me get the best out of what I have inside me. My fitter was Robert Simmons. Good guy. We went over what they offer, what my game is, what I was looking to improve, brand...
  8. millsan1

Shrugging shoulders in the follow through

Not sure how else to explain it. But in my follow through, I find that my shoulders are way up, like I'm shrugging really hard. It really seems to introduce tension and not allow for a fluid follow through. I made an effort to be loose in the shoulders all the way through and had some nice...
  9. millsan1

How good are cheap clubs? Like $150 cheap.

As you all probably know, non golfers will frequently ask why we get such expensive gear. We reflexively answer, in some flavor, that "Good equipment is better". When I started 3 years ago, I had recent vintage, new, GI clubs and have played good equipment since then. I do not have anything...
  10. millsan1

We are playing Payne's Valley!

Watching the match yesterday and seeing that course got my blood pumping. I've been calling them since then, and finally got hold of someone today. We will be playing an afternoon round on Oct 17, and a morning round on the 18th. Probably won't get to finish on the 17th, but WTH. If we are...
  11. millsan1

Old English definition of Handicap

Folk etymology claims the word handicap comes from injured soldiers returning home from war and, unable to work, being forced to beg on the streets with their caps in their hands. In fact, that’s completely untrue: Instead, handicap was originally an old form of trade or bartering, in which...
  12. millsan1

Fun day Yesterday. PB, played with 270 years of golfers, and watched a future lifetime hacker being trained

Took the day off work yesterday and decided to go play some golf. Went to a local course, walked on, and was told to head over to starter. Get there, and he says, "you'll be playing with these guys". Dave, 86, Dan 88 and Erwin 89. Really nice guys. Glad to see them out enjoying the day and...
  13. millsan1

Almost PB and THAT guy

Had a good round today, 41/43 from a few hundred yards past my normal. Close to a PB, and would have been, except for 2 doubles on the back. Still very happy and birdied last hole. I didn't give up the box until 10 or 11. At the end, one of the guys I played with said he shot a 41/39...
  14. millsan1

I'm going back to CDA

Had such a great time lat year, that I am going back for a vacation. @LoffKat and I will be there Sept 1-4. Playing 3 days, and hitting the spa. It is such a nice course, and of course the floating green. I told so many stories about how much I enjoyed it, we decided to pull the trigger...
  15. millsan1

Who else is not really bothered by sand?

I'm far from a pro, and can duff with the best of them. But truthfully, sand doesn't bother me in the least. I am extremely confident of my ability to get out of a bunker, fairway or greenside. I can really only think of 2 sand shots this year where I didn't execute well, and maybe 2 others...
  16. millsan1

Full tourney weekend coming up

Last night, I went into my club's site to book weekend tee times for me and the Mrs. Saturday morning is booked for Stroke Play Championship. Damn, missed my chance to sign up. Sent an email to club pro. And bingo bango bongo, I'm signed up. Sweet. So Saturday AM and Sunday AM, I will be...
  17. millsan1

Recent struggle, unable to pull trigger on medium wedge shots

I've got a new, recent struggle. I am very well dialed in on my wedge distances. Put me on the sim or a range, give me a distance, and I've got two or more shots, using different wedges to get there. Past few rounds, however, I am coming up very short when I have a 20-40 yard wedge shot. I...
  18. millsan1

Never ending quest for better

As has been said before, you cannot beat the game of golf, you can only play it. A lot of you know, I am a late comer to the game. I have spent a lot of time working on improving my game. Two years ago, when a friend shot a 90, I was in awe. Now, I expect to do that or better. I was a high...
  19. millsan1

Play your swing vs forcing the "right" swing

Like many, I am on a jour ey of improvement. Biggest goal right now is to develop that nice draw most are seeking. My natural shot shape is a nice baby fade. When I work on making the draw happen, I can, but can also hit some real stinkers. When I just play my swing, I do a lot better...
  20. millsan1

Fun random match video

In this video, some YouTube guys walk up on a dude at the range and challenge him to a 9 hole match. It is a fun watch.
Back