Search results for query: *

1. mantan

Time for me to get with the times about practicing on mats.....

I'll fully admit from the jump that I've been spoiled most of my golf life. I got serious about golf when I moved back to Texas in 2002. You can play year round and up until recently, it was easy to find a grass range to practice at. Either at a nearby course or many of the green grass ranges...
  2. mantan

Fairway Shaft Length Question (PING G425)

An easy question hopefully. I'm just not knowledgeable on these things. I'm considering a shaft pull for a 5w that is 41.0 inches. From what I could find it looks like it would play 42 inches, which is what I want. But I was hoping someone could confirm. Thanks in advance!
  3. mantan

Pre-Paid Weekend Tee Times - Are they a thing in your area?

It seems like more and more courses are requiring players to pay for weekend tee times in full. I'm the 'tee time guy' in our group. We play at different courses around the metroplex. I don't mind finding and setting up times. But now it's the added step of paying upfront and collecting money...
  4. mantan

When you game goes MIA!

Sometimes you have to just laugh at this game. My full swing has been as good as it's every been but my short game as been a continual work in progress. I finally break down to see my instructor last week. Full swing was fine in the warm up. I told him how things are feeling really good...
  5. mantan

Last Round of the Year - Golf Gods Throw a Bone

And what a mixed bag. We lucked out in north Texas with great weather the rest of the year...temps in the 60s/50s But with company coming and traveling for a bowl game next week, this was the last chance to get a round in. A sign of the golf boom was that it was surprisingly hard to find a...
  6. mantan

Another Windy Golf Day tomorrow....

OK, I know I'm going to get a middle finger from the northern part of the country right now. I'm on this laughable streak where the days I have carved out for golf are literally the only windy days that week. Now living in Texas, you have to accept the wind is going to blow a lot. But spring...
  7. mantan

Holiday Golf - Fun and Family

You accept it as one of the perils of playing golf this week. I got paired up with a threesome today. All very nice guys. Two were in town from up north including the father in-law who gets out once a year. I'm sure there was encouragement on one or both sides to go 'bond with family'. The...
  8. mantan

Offseason Project - Short Game Rebuild Challenge (shoutout @wormkiller)

In another thread lamenting golf improvement, @Wormkiller commented that anybody regardless of age has the ability to have a good short game. I wholeheartedly agree. I shared how the last year plus, my short game has fallen off a cliff. I went from a decent, not great short game player to...
  9. mantan

Local Driving Ranges Becoming More Scarce

A strange thing has happened locally here in DFW. It feels as golf has become incredibly popular, grass driving ranges have become more scarce. A lot of it has to due with property values skyrocket. I used to use a quiet little driving range owned by an older gentlemen. Simple office and near...
  10. mantan

Callaway UW vs. Epic Super Hybrid

I'm auditioning replacements for my Cleveland Halo-Hywood. The Callway UW was always a similar design (shaft length between fairway and hybrid) but a lot of reviews say it's a precision instrument and not designed to be as forgiving as other options. I'm also interested in the Epic Super...
  11. mantan

Fairway Wood Review Rant - Why always a 3 wood???

Looking for a new fairway wood and every review out there is on a 3-wood. I play with a lot of different people and I've seen very few of them who can consistently hit a 3 wood off the deck. Most play a 5-wood or maybe a 4-wood...which is a lot more playable for amatuers. But so many reviews...
  12. mantan

Data telling the cold hard truth - dump the 5-iron.

I got a Garmin S42 a month ago. Have 6 rounds of data in it. It's tracking the performance of my clubs and pointing out the glaring hole I didn't want to admit. I need to ditch the 5-iron. It's been my least favorite club for awhile. But the numbers are starting at how poorly I hit it. Garmin...
  13. mantan

Hitting Greens - #manageourexpectations

There was a post here a few weeks ago talking about what's our personal goal/no go zone. A distance where we take dead aim and expect a good result. I mentioned Lou Stagner talking about this on his pod with Mark Crossfield a few weeks ago. Mark's social media and newsletter is dedicated to...
  14. mantan

Match Play is SO cruel

It's such a roller coaster. In was the final 8 for my side of the men's league bracket. I was 4 up on #13. Giving a stroke. I hook my tee shot into the hazard. Took a drop and hit a 7-iron to the middle of the green. My opponent duffed his tee shot. Hit the next ball into a fairway bunker...
  15. mantan

First GPS Watch (Garmin G12) - now wonder if I should have gotten a Garmin S42

I read Jim Sherman's Four Foundations book last week and went all in on the idea of shooting for middle/back of greens. I love my rangefinder, but I'm an absolute sucker for a front pin. And I really need to see a number to 'trust' my partial wedge shots from 20-60 yards. I decided to get a...
  16. mantan

Shot my PB today!

My game had been in the desert the last year with my handicap creeping upward. Finally had a concept click that I'd been struggling with that was paying off at the range. Shot an 80 in my men's league event today. I'd gotten back to the 87-92 range, but just wasn't putting it together. It all...
  17. mantan

Push Slice Driver

This one is a rinse and repeat of a prior problem I can't figure out. My full swing is the best it's been. Put in a ton of work the last few months Solid shots with a 4H through sand wedge. My ballflight is oddly straight, it just doesn't break off one way or the other. My issue is with the...
  18. mantan

Golf Ball Sales Have Unleashed the Hoarder In Me

It all started with the Chrome Soft buy 3 get 1 sale. I bought 4 dozen. Then when the sale was over, I bought another 4 dozen. But I really like the Srixon Q-Star Tour. So when they B2G1 sale hit for Father's Day. I bought 3 dozen. Then I bought another three dozen a few days later. And I'm...
  19. mantan

Driving Range Etiquette

I'm at the range this evening. Standard metro big public range with about 60 grass stalls. It's an 83* sunny day during the golf boom, so of course it's jam packed. The stall next to me empties out a guy comes up to start his practice session. He surveys the target flags and finds one at a...
  20. mantan

First time anxious about getting paired up

I've played a ton of golf getting paired up. I used to have a lot of flexibility with my job and would often just walk on at courses if I had a free afternoon. 99% of the time, it went great. I find most golfers are pretty nice and just want to enjoy the day. I never had any reservations about...
Back