Search results for query: *

1. Hoganman1

Metal Cup Liners

What type of cup liners does your course have? I'm old and for years almost all the courses I played had plastic cup liners that were recessed maybe 3/4 of an inch below the surface. The soil above the liner was painted white. Yesterday, our group had six to eight lip-outs. Granted, that happens...
  2. Hoganman1

CLOSED COURSES

How many courses that you have played are now closed? For me it's probably over twenty. I've been playing fifty to a hundred rounds a year since the early 1960s so one would expect some attrition over sixty years. However, since the mid 90s there haven't been many new courses opening. There are...
  3. Hoganman1

How Many LIV Players Do You Miss?

Frankly, the only player I miss is Cameron Smith. I was fortunate in that I was able to see him win The Open Championship in person. I look forward to seeing him play in the Masters. Otherwise, the only LIV defector I enjoyed watching is Louie Oosthuizen ,
  4. Hoganman1

Charlotte Area

Has anyone had a chance to swing one as yet? Dick's here in Charlotte has demos. I may go try one in their bay. There's a fitting day at our club but not until early March. I don't think the are available, except pre-orders; until late February. I think about getting a fitting for one. My kids...
  5. Hoganman1

Men's Major Championship Venues

As posted here before, this Summer I was fortunate enough to complete the Fan Grand Slam of having attended all four men's majors at least once. Also, I've had the good fortune of playing courses that have hosted three of the four majors. At age 72 I fear the window for playing Augusta National...
  6. Hoganman1

Graphite Shafted Sand Wedge

A year and a half ago I bought a set of graphite shafted irons (4 - SW). I really like them except for the 56* sand wedge. I've practiced with it but I've never felt comfortable with it. Recently I put an old steel shafted sw in the bag and the difference is amazing. I think the graphite shaft...
  7. Hoganman1

Playing matches with full handicaps vs playing off the lowest handicap

Is there any research on this? In my group we play off the lowest hdcp in the group. I sometimes wonder if the outcomes of the matches would be different if everyone got all their strokes. Surely, someone has some stats on this and if not; what's your opinion.
  8. Hoganman1

Ben Hogan Golf Company Going Out Of Business

Sadly, I just learned Ben Hogan Golf is closing shop. Thank goodness I bought my set of irons last year. I hate to see them go, but competing with the larger OEMs had to be tough. I thought their direct to consumer model was working well. Unfortunately, they didn't have a tour presence. Also...
  9. Hoganman1

The US Open was Great

I really enjoyed the US Open. Over the last few years it had become my fourth favorite major but last year and this year were fantastic. I know many were pulling for a American to win, but I was happy for Fitzpatrick. He played the best over 72 holes and deserved the victory. I've been playing...
  10. Hoganman1

A Tale of Two Players

I think it's interesting that Rory has become the leading proponent for the PGA Tour. Conversely, Dustin Johnson seems to be the face of the LIV Tour. One would think I would go with DJ since he comes from only about 25 miles from where I was raised and he's an American. However, I'm siding...
  11. Hoganman1

Top Five Favorite Pro Golfers All Time

Who are your top five favorite professional golfers of all time? Whether you've seen them play in person, on TV or only in old videos. Mine are: Ben Hogan* Seve Ballesteros Payne Stewart Walter Hagen* Raymond Floyd Obvously, I like...
  12. Hoganman1

Clermont National

The former Sanctuary Ridge Golf Course in Clermont Florida which closed last summer is coming back in the Fall as Clermont National. The new owner is refurbishing what has always been a great and interesting layout. I live in Charlotte, but have a vacation home in Clermont and have been playing...
  13. Hoganman1

THPers Over Seventy

I know there's a thread for senior golfers over sixty, but I learned that the difference between sixty and seventy can be huge. I'll be seventy two next week. I try to play two or three rounds a week and still love the game. My index is 10.8 and I play from around 6000 yards in Winter and 6200...
  14. Hoganman1

Championship Courses You Have Played

How many courses have you played where a men's major was held? I've played US Open venues Oakland Hills and Pinehurst #2, PGA tracts The Ocean Course at Kiawah and Quail Hollow (Oakland Hills has also held a PGA) and The Old Course at St. Andrews where they hold The Open Championship. Sadly...
  15. Hoganman1

Replacement Shaft for Ping G400 Driver

I'm thinking about trying a senior flex shaft in my Ping G400 driver. I'm currently playing the stock Alta CB 55 Regular. I ordered a senior flex in that shaft from an online source, but it took three months to arrive directly from Ping and was damaged when it arrived. I'm wondering if the...
  16. Hoganman1

Sanctuary Ridge in Clermont Florida

Does anyone out there have the scoop on this course? I see it's closed for renovations. Hopefully, someone bought it and is restoring it. It is a great layout, but the condition had deteriorated to the point is was almost unplayable. I visit Clermont three or four times a year and always liked...
  17. Hoganman1

Legends GC in Clermont Florida

Has anyone on this forum played Legends since it re-opened. I visit Clermont two or three times a year and enjoyed playing there until it closed a few years ago. Unfortunately, it wasn't open yet when I was last there in late June. I'm hoping to get back to Clermont before the end of the year...
  18. Hoganman1

Ryder Cup Quandary

Like most of you I'm looking forward to this years Ryder Cup. However, for the last few years I've struggled with my emotions during the matches. While I feel like I should want the US to win, I find myself pulling for the Europeans. It's just that many of my favorite tour players now (Rahm...
  19. Hoganman1

Titleist Velocity

I've never played this ball because I thought it was your basic rock for high handicappers. I've been a ProV1 player for years because I like it's overall performance. However, I've noticed more and more of my senior buddies are playing the Velocity. One guy is a 6 handicap and he says the...
  20. Hoganman1

Callaway Epic Max Speed with a Project X Cypher 40g 5.0 shaft

Anybody out there playing this driver? I demoed the Speed the other day. It was 9* and it performed really well. I'm 71 and don't drive it much past 190 to 210. My pro didn't have a 10.5 which would probably work better for me. Also, I've read the Max version is more forgiving which might help...
Back