Search results for query: *

1. DonaldHTX

How many sets of clubs do you have?

If you have more than one set do you ever play with the spare set?
  2. DonaldHTX

Sanded greens?

I saw some groups who picked their balm up after hitting the green. They didn’t putt. I assume they had an agreement on how many putts to add. Or maybe their gross score was however many strokes to hit the green. I’m new so didn’t really know what to do. I just putted and counted every stroke...
  3. DonaldHTX

Sanded greens?

Yesterday they reconditioned the greens. Close cut, punched holes and put on a layer of sand. The course was open this morning. My first putt the sand was wet from the dew and a large ring of sand stuck to my ball. (Despite this I birdied the first hole.) So what is the protocol for playing when...
  4. DonaldHTX

I’m a golf addict.

Just finished completing a second set of golf clubs. An 80’s set. The difference between the 80’s driver and my modern driver is startling. Also the lofts on the irons are totally different.
  5. DonaldHTX

Do rangers even exist anymore?

The course I play has one who drives around mostly getting foreign tourists off the course and back to the picnic areas where they belong. The golf course is surrounded by a zoo and large city park. To get a problem on the course straightened out you call the pro shop and they send someone out...
  6. DonaldHTX

Is 5 extra yards worth $600?

No. Not worth it to me. Last week I went to the golf shop and tried a Calloway Rogue. It did go a bit farther than my current driver. A Titleist TS1. But not $600 farther. So I asked the fitter what he thought of my current driver which I had brought along for comparison. He said the shaft is...
  7. DonaldHTX

Playing with 1980’s clubs.

I started with a used set of clubs from Craig’s List. Wilson 1200 Gear Effect CB irons. It didn’t take long before I bought all new equipment as a retirement present to myself. But I still have the Wilson’s. Last week I was at a golf course that has a couple of barrels of persimmon and early...
  8. DonaldHTX

Update on the wife and golf.

I asked her to go to the range with me. It’s a nice walk there from our place and she agreed. When we got there I got a small bucket of balls and set up. Then I asked her to pick out a target anywhere on the range and I would try to hit it. So she points out a tree. I laser it and pick an iron...
  9. DonaldHTX

What is the worst hazard you have ever hit?

Last time I played my first tee shot went into a 24 inch plastic drain culvert pipe. The pipe is nearly 90 degrees off the ball flight but it went in. Stopped about ten feet inside the pipe. Pipe was dry. I could see the ball but could not reach it. Good news is there were three balls in the...
  10. DonaldHTX

Calloway Rogue 2022 vs New Shaft In My Current Driver

Dispersion was better with the new shaft.
  11. DonaldHTX

Calloway Rogue 2022 vs New Shaft In My Current Driver

Today I went to try a new driver. The 2022 Calloway Rogue. Took my current driver to compare. After warming up I hit some of the balls I usually play. Results were 20 more yards with the Rogue. Not worth the $600 price tag. So I asked the fitter what he thought of my current driver. I already...
  12. DonaldHTX

Wife has no interest in golf.

It’s weird. She prone to bicycle accidents and tripping. But has scary talent at throwing things.
  13. DonaldHTX

Her only other hobby is being a cat mom. She doesn’t hate golf. She just has no interest in learning and playing it. I didn’t push her into the other hobbies. She went with me and showed an interest. So I showed her how they were done and she absolutely fell in love with hunting and fishing...
  14. DonaldHTX

How do I fix this? Before we met she had never fired a gun. Now she carries CCW, and is an avid deer Hunter. Also took a tactical carbine course with me and had a blast. Never went fishing. Now she loves fishing and can cast a surf rig and a bait casting rod for bass. Never went to the gym...
  15. DonaldHTX

Houston Area THP group

Please add me to the list. Retired so I can play anytime. Closest course to me is Hermann Park and I play there about three times a month.
  16. DonaldHTX

What’s the most club you’ve taken on a par 3?

Twice today. My longest iron is a 5 that I can hit 160 on a good day. On par 3s longer than 160 I use my driver and take an easy swing.
  17. DonaldHTX

Houston. Hermann or Sharpstown.

Looking for a golf partner. Mornings, weekdays.
  18. DonaldHTX

Public Service Reminder: THE SUN DOES NOT LIKE YOU!

Wear a hat and sunscreen. After MOHS surgery I am missing a significant part of my right ear.
Back