Search results for query: *

1. BamBooBender

Proper fitting breeds success, which breeds confidence, which leads to better results

What are your thoughts on this statement? I think it has some merit, although leaving out the huge variable named perception. Edit: I should clarify that I'm not talking about getting fit, per se, but about those clubs that just work for you, regardless of how they ended up in your bag.
  2. BamBooBender

BBB’s single length irons journey.

I have ordered and received a set of Pinhawk SL iron heads from Value Golf, which I intend to have built to my current 7i length. I’ll use thread to document my results, but not the actual building process since I will be working with my club builder and he will be doing the assembly and...
  3. BamBooBender

Is it possible to build a very forgiving driver with low spin and no bias?

I'm no club design expert by any means, but I have looked into this a lot and find that what I have read seems to be true based on my testing. It seems like, from what I have read here, and other places online, that having a very high MOI puts some amount of draw bias into a driver. And, again...
  4. BamBooBender

Are tour pros today as hungry to win as in years past?

First off let me say that I have no issue with what others get paid. If pros can get paid big money by companies to rep their equipment, then I think that's great. And obviously they all want to win every tournament they are in. I can't help but wonder, however, if they keep the same drive to...
  5. BamBooBender

Your first birdie, eagle?

My first birdie was at Electra GC, in Electra TX (a goat track). It was on the first hole, a ~300 yd par 4. I finally listened to my dad and hit his 2i off the tee instead of driver, found the fairway, hit PW to around 10', and made the putt, obviously. My first eagle was a year later at...
  6. BamBooBender

Short, fairly easy, par 4's

Lets say its fairly straight, between 270 and 300, not too much trouble, but a really wayward drive could cost you. What is your most likely play? Are you more likely to play to a number to set up the next shot? Or do you get greedy and try to knock it on, or as close as possible? I will...
  7. BamBooBender

Have you ever jarred one on the fly, or even come really close?

I haven't yet, but have been a few inches off several times. The last was in Iowa this year at Coldwater. 104 out with a wedge, ball mark just a few inches from the cup. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
  8. BamBooBender

First round ever, where, and what was the score?

My first ever, official, round of golf was at Shepard AFB in Wichita Falls TX. I hacked my way to a 127. What was yours? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
  9. BamBooBender

How many times have you vowed to give up the game…

Only to find you couldn’t stay away? I have done this several times, but something always brought me back. Usually it would be good shot, or hole, or “discovering something that worked for my swing. The last time ('96) it was discovering single-axis golf, and Moe Norman--revealed to me there...
  10. BamBooBender

New take on "made for" shafts

Also known as "jointly developed" shafts. Just like many others I have often viewed these shafts as cheap versions of the "real deal" shafts that were designed with cheaper materials for a certain price point, and basing the marketing on the name. Maybe that has been true in some cases, but in...
  11. BamBooBender

Bryson Dechambeau's new Cobra irons.

I have seen pictures of them, and the back is covered with tape (embargo's and all that I'm sure), but they look to be some sort of King CB's. I'm hoping these will be a release not just a one off for him only.
  12. BamBooBender

Question about playing with beginners.

Is it wrong to have them pick up on a hole vs. just topping ball after ball when the course is pretty full? I’m talking about people who were playing with me because they wanted to take up the game now. Not people I may have been paired up that were obviously new to the game because I would...
  13. BamBooBender

Letting folks play through even if they didn’t ask.

Have you ever been a little too hasty, or generous, to let a group play through and then really regretted it? That has happened to me a few times when playing with beginners and such. Most recently, a threesome caught up to my son,gf, and I , and sincethey were just starting out, I asked the...
  14. BamBooBender

1/4" steps between irons vs 1/2"?

Since it is all but impossible for me to try single length irons right now I can't help but wonder how adjusting my current irons to only be .25" between clubs instead of the normal .5" would work. Has anyone ever done anything similar? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
  15. BamBooBender

Etiquette question: when do you pick up golf balls you find on the course?

The thread about finding vs buying made me think of this and I didn't want to go OT, as I often do. My dad taught me not to pick up balls that I came across on the course unless I found some while retrieving mine out of a water hazard, or in the OB deep grass, etc. If the ball was in the...
  16. BamBooBender

Is it possible to hang on too much?

I have said this before, but it bears repeating that Freddie's tips and advice have helped me immensely to improve hitting down and through the ball. I have honestly holed shots from 40, 60, and 110 yds working on the things he has suggested. Now I'm wondering is it possible to hang on too...
  17. BamBooBender

How many rounds can you keep the ball in play off the tee?

Like the birdie streak thread, this is how many rounds in row can you not hit a single ball OB, lost, unplayable, etc off the tee. I'm up to six rounds now without hitting a single ball out of play off the tee. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
  18. BamBooBender

BBB- WITB

The bag as it sits now. Probably the only changes that will come in the near future are a few more wedges and a different hybrid. Vapor pro at 8.5 w/ Grandura 550 S Titleist 915f at 16.5 (B4) w/ Rogue 80 black S Cleveland Altitude 3h w/ c.kua Callaway XR Pro w/XP 105 (S300) 56* Vokey SM5 M...
  19. BamBooBender

Is it weird that I am more consistent with my driver than with my irons?

I am honestly more likely to hit target with a driver on a day to day basis than I am with irons. What is the deal with that?
  20. BamBooBender

Wedge shafts - Softer, stiffer, or the same as your irons?

I have talked to several fitters about wedges and how they should be set up to fit in with the set and the answers were pretty much all over the place. Some say a wedge shaft should be heavier that the iron shafts and a softer flex. Others say it should be heavier and stiffer flex. I have even...
Back