“Craziest” golf thing you do

AUWU11

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 GHIN
“Crazy” can be a wide range of things... a superstition, a routine, a practice method... anything that’d you’d tell a non-golfer that’d make them think “that’s pretty out there” because they just wouldn’t get it. We all have them - let’s hear ‘em!

Mine is I keep small areas of my back yard at different lengths to practice hitting wedges out of different lies and lengths of grass. My yard is Bermuda, so I keep one small area lush and longer to hit out of the thick stuff, and another really short to hit off of a tight lie, then the rest at a normal length for regular shots. My friend, who is a non-golfer and a landscape architect, thinks it’s ridiculous and drives him crazy when he comes over, and I love it. As long as my wife is cool with it, then not stopping it anytime soon! As I’m sitting here typing this on my patio watching my 21 month old son run around and hit golf balls, I just looked at the corner of my yard and thought “hmm, my tight lie area is looking a bit shaggy, better shorten that down soon..”

Runner up: if I hit two bad tee shots in a row using the same tee, I’ll throw that tee out and use a fresh one on the next hole. No idea why, have done it for as long as I can remember.

Probably joining a private club. There is no financial case I can make for that beyond I want to and could afford it. Many people think that is crazy.

For most of my life each spring when my golf season begins I will normally hit 1,000+ range balls each week until my swing comes around - normally for the first 5-8 weeks of the season. This year I skipped all but a few hundred of those range balls and my index is no different. All those tens of thousands of balls hit were a waste of time, lol!:)

It would be my club cleaning, they get cleaned after every round. Guys are like,"they will just get dirty tomorrow when we play again" 🤦‍♂️

Buying new golf clubs every year thinking that they will be a magic cure for everything.

Whenever I start a new box of balls, I always use the sleeves in reverse order, from #4 down to #1. No idea why, it's just something I've always done.

For several years I hit driver off the deck on every tee shot. I cut down my PING Rapture V2 to about 43-1/2" and I was able to hit a line drive fade that rarely missed the fairway and still went 280+ if it wasn't wet. I was also able to tee it up and hook/draw it very easily if I wanted to.

The head came off that driver a few years ago and flew over a pond into impenetrable swamp. I really miss that club and that off the deck option - it was money! I reached my lowest index of 1.2 with that driver.

Dedicating my garage ot a golf simulator, or taking 25+ lessons a year

i empty my entire bag (pockets and all) after every round, scrub my clubs with warm soap and water, and put everything back together (even if i'm playing the next day).

:confused:

I carry my Scottish Tam o'shanter hat in my bag at all times. It helps me with my short game magic (it doesn't help me with my short game magic). Although I have chipped in for birdie in each of my last three rounds, maybe the Tam just needed a little break.

Try and remember
it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian
Buying new clubs will not make the swing better.
I put 2 long tees, 1 shirt tee, 1 medium tee and 1 ball marker, and 1 pitch fix in my right front pocket.
Weird, but I do it

I take out the sleeve of #4's when i buy a dozen and put in a sleeve of something else. I do not play 4's

3-4 times a year I will take a 2i, or 6i blade, and while out hiking 2-3 miles, I will hit 4 balls off of very thin lies, using a piece of synthetic turf to hit balls off of.

I got this idea from my cousin, who also does a lot of cross country hiking.

By the time I finish my cross country walk, I am usually down to 1, or 2 balls. Sometimes none.

I cheat on a driver that gets me 82% fairways. I can't stop. I need help.

My swing. It’s homegrown and tamed from my long drive days. Just put up a thread on it with video. I used to take the club into an upright position, have leveled it out-mostly. Lost some CHS but am playing the straightest golf of my life.

Get up at 4am and drive 2-6hrs to play with THPers

That’s not crazy, that’s awesome. Haven’t had a bad round with THP’ers yet. I’d set my alarm for 4am right now to play with anybody here.

I had an uncle that used to do that with 3's, he always said "3's are for trees".

If they’re good balls, send them here! I don’t care if it’s a 3, 4, or 37. It’ll be so dirty by the time I’m done with it, the number won’t matter a bit.

Someone asked me this this morning and I had to think about it.
I would say travel around the country hosting once in a lifetime events for people that include equipment, etc.

Its pretty nuts.

I take out the sleeve of #4's when i buy a dozen and put in a sleeve of something else. I do not play 4's
You should buy 5-8's instead lol.

I will take a new dozen and mix up all the balls so that I don't have the same number in a sleeve. That way I can mark them and have a different number for my provisional if needed. I always keep a 2nd in my pocket.

The other craziest thing I do is swing. I've been told several times I have the ugliest swing for a low handicapper. Yelled at the pro will he was on the range the other day how much for a driver lesson. He yelled back I can't teach you.:ROFLMAO:

I will take a new dozen and mix up all the balls so that I don't have the same number in a sleeve. That way I can mark them and have a different number for my provisional if needed. I always keep a 2nd in my pocket.

The other craziest thing I do is swing. I've been told several times I have the ugliest swing for a low handicapper. Yelled at the pro will he was on the range the other day how much for a driver lesson. He yelled back I can't teach you.:ROFLMAO:

Check out my swing thread. Before illness I was a 5HC, crept up to about 10 but didn’t really adjust to my playing. I was playing like a 20. I don’t keep one now that I found out I have to pay for it in 2020, but I’m playing closer to the 5 than the 20. And my swing is probably uglier than yours:)

Have not seen the high numbers for Bridgestone B X

Craziest thing I do? Probably play the game.

Back