“If it makes me better, I’ll play it, no matter what it looks like!” - Be Honest

I agree with those on this thread that got to the point of how much better. Someone mentioned an ugly 8 iron might miss the green a bit less, buts it still a chip and putt, or a putter that averages a stroke or two off each round.

I’d consider anything that would instantly drop my scoring average by ten or more strokes a round. But as much as the marketing and engineers try, I’m not sold that set of clubs exist out there. We still provide too much input to override club benefits to the point that I would consider playing anything.

(Editors note: This poster happily played the Callaway FTi, the lovely square looking, awful sounding, driver that was nicknamed ‘The Toaster’ by his playing partners as it markedly increased his fairways found)

No, I dont like the way my big Bertha 4 hybrid looks at address too left oriented so I don’t play it. I also don’t like drivers with a ton of angles and things like the Sim2. But that is just my opinion

If it doesn't look good to me, I would probably not even try it.

Probably not. An ugly club is like a moped, fun to use, but don't want to be seen with it.

I'm too much of a golf traditionalist to bag funky-looking or weird-sounding equipment. My eyes can follow the flight of a yellow ball much better than a white one and I still can't make myself game a yellow ball.

(Editors note: This poster happily played the Callaway FTi, the lovely square looking, awful sounding, driver that was nicknamed ‘The Toaster’ by his playing partners as it markedly increased his fairways found)
Same here.

Yes but I am only going so far. They still have to look and feel good and gaining 1 stroke a round wouldn't be enough but say 5+strokes and now were talking.

I will take any help I can get. I think I draw the line at anything that is bright pink, but you never know...
Good enough for bubba ? Good enough for the Camden kid ? Lol

Good enough for bubba ? Good enough for the Camden kid ? Lol
Aside from colour palette , I reckon there’s a opportunity here , for advertising on the crown of the club ... or portraits ,,, imagine ‘ Jesus and the last supper ‘ or last minute instructions written, or golf hack . hahahha.

I chimed in back with post #54 here... and I had taken a look at TourEdge HL4's and C521's. Looking at them at address to my eye was just "EW. No." So I went with the Mavriks instead.

So yes, I'm vain when it comes to clubs... but then again, I still bag my RBZ driver. So I'm not THAT bad:ROFLMAO:

I will take any help I can get. I think I draw the line at anything that is bright pink, but you never know...
What's wrong with PINK? I have 2 daughters, my wife and mother. And, my grandmother had breast cancer - so when Aldila had the pink NV, I could not resist - wish they had it still - I also have a pair of adidas golf shoes with pink stripes - all in honor or homage to those young and old women - who made, me, help keep me grounded or just amaze me every day with their thoughtfulness, kindness and love.

Oh, and I get that your were kidding - just had to add that. And I had a Cameron putter redone as well - all paintfill - hot pink same reasons!

I'm too much of a golf traditionalist to bag funky-looking or weird-sounding equipment. My eyes can follow the flight of a yellow ball much better than a white one and I still can't make myself game a yellow ball.

i was the same way with the Yellow ball for a long time and finally gave in and i am very happy i did. you should really just try it.

as i have seen many times in here, i also cant play something i cant stand looking at.

If it doesn't appeal to me visually, it won't work for me functionally. Plain and simple.

Not a piece of equipment, but I did something ugly for years due to my poor swing. I had a 90* boomerang type slice and often left the club face open. To "fix" this, I would close the club face at address to the point where the toe of the club was pointed at the ball; a 90 degree counter clockwise rotation of the club. It was ugly, but it helped a little.

I don't do that anymore...

Not sure I could game this putter... yikes

1620652511176.png

I've played SGI Pings formerly, so, I guess, looks in irons don't bother me.
I couldn't game an oddly shaped putter, though.
Since all drivers look pretty much the same, the sound is a big thing, but, I could play a horrible sounding one if it got me more yards and straighter shots, no problem.

That’s the one Pete Finch was in love with for a while I believe

The DF? :unsure: At least it is all black. I had success with it within 20 feet. After that, I had distance control issues. I may want a do-over but the more handsome Swag has caught my fancy. :)

Overall, I am more picky now - when I re-started my game in the mid-90's, I played Cleveland VAS irons and in the 00's, a Nike SQ driver. o_O I have evolved to MP-20 HMBs,Cally/TEE and now Mizuno Fairways, TEE/TM and next possibly a Ping 425 Hybrid, and Callaway Drivers -- something more attractive. Ping is okay.

Even if I go more GI when re-starting after not playing for a time, I don't want much offset, or a huge face and sole. I want my putters to work but be a bit handsome. Wedges? Blades or a slight CB.

Last edited:
I played a Scotty Futura 48" putter until the anchoring ban came in. Need I say more?

The 48" Futura is back in my bag and it isn't coming out anytime soon. So I guess I will play just about anything.

No. The clubs need to look good in the bag.

Generally speaking, the answer is no, I will not play something that is ugly. Sorry not sorry. I suppose maybe someday I'll evolve though. I always said I wouldn't play "hollow" irons either. Even told my fitter that last summer. 6-7 sets into the fitting, he puts the p790s in my hand. Now I own them and love them.

But they at least look good. The sound isn't quite as crisp as I would like, but they do look good standing over them.

~Rock

From an irons perspective, I've probably got more flexibility than anywhere else.

I still struggle with oversized driver heads.
I still struggle with ugly mallets (or even ugly blades).
I still struggle with wedges that have extended grooves.

Hard to say, really.

Back