“If it makes me better, I’ll play it, no matter what it looks like!” - Be Honest

At some point, most of us have said or typed those exact words, yet it’s not really the case, is it?

Time to come clean, could you REALLY use a dinner plate sized putter or a driver that sounds like a toaster if it made you better?

As I myself ponder OL irons, I’m having to ask this very question and being honest is rough!

I've played many different clubs from all over the spectrum and I can confirm, it's the redneck and not the instrument that makes the difference.

I couldn't either. I tried the Wilson Launch Pads, and even if it put me in the fairway or on the green every time, I don't think I could look at those clubs, nor could I stand the sound they make. Just not something that I would want to get out and hit, or have fun hitting. There would be no excitement.

I thought the same about the T-Rails. But high and straight shots and an increase in GIR has a pleasant effect on one’s psyche.

This is not true. I will not play extremely offset irons no matter how good they make me play.

The thing is, if they don't look good to your eye, they're not gonna make you play better. You've gotta have confidence in your instruments.

for me personally, SIGNIFICANTLY better would be the requirement.
This would have to be my answer ^^^^^^^^^^^

It all depends on how much it improves my game. I'll swing a piece of bamboo with a shell on it (ten points if you get the reference) :LOL: if it kept me back at Scratch again. :rolleyes:

I played a Nike Sasquatch driver. So I have a pretty big tolerance for how some clubs look.

However, when I tried the club at DSG, they put duct tape on the club face. Had I heard it without tape, I never would have bought it.

I seriously tried out a Cure RX5 putter, even though I thought it looked like a middle school science project gone horribly wrong.

I see the LAB putter and think it would have to be forcefully, demonstrably better for me to game that metal detector. But if it were that much better, I think I could game it.

I pointed out in another thread that SGI irons that look like SGI irons are offputting, and if they were that shovel-like looking, I might not go with them. But usually there are other options.

One thing I have noticed in threads on these type of topics is the effect of looks on the golfer's confidence, For many of us, believing is seeing. Otherwise, why would so many of us buy clubs without trying them first?

Sure can. Back in the day I played that giant TM Spider putter. That thing was HUGE, but it worked for me, so I sported it proudly.
That was the OG dinner plate sized spider too!

The thing is, if they don't look good to your eye, they're not gonna make you play better. You've gotta have confidence in your instruments.
I do believe this is the “go to” out for most people, hell I’ve used it too. I do think for 90% of people who say it though it’s just an excuse.

Sure was, you remember when I had that? It was bigger than my hand, but I could putt with it.
I do! My first THP round ever was with you in Austin!

No.

I would never say that absolutely, because NO.

I don't want to stare down at things that annoy me visually. It's supposed to be fun out there.

I would say almost. I have a breaking point that I just can't seem to get past, especially with irons.

My game is fragile enough without distractions..
I prefer a clean look, with thin top lines..

I do believe this is the “go to” out for most people, hell I’ve used it too. I do think for 90% of people who say it though it’s just an excuse.

You don't think confidence is important in golf? I'd say golf is more mental than physical once you get to a certain level of competence.

Looks maybe, sound, not so much. I pretty much can tune sound out while swinging a club so, even if it sounded like a elephant passing gas in a trash can, it wouldn't phase me. Looks on the other hand would have to show some pretty big improvement in my game to go all out ugly and make my bag.

There are a lot of putters I will refuse to play because they are ugly as hell. No idea if they will make me better because I won't even look at them. :)

Oh man. So easy to say yes I would, so hard to commit.

I remember the first time I picked up Altitudes I said WTF? Then shot even par with them at a THP Event with @J4U

Reactions: J4U
Hard no. I'm way more open these days to what I would use but I still have limits. Even if I dropped 3 strokes a round I refuse to play some fugly piece of equipment. Part of the fun of golf for me is enjoying the look of what I'm playing.

If I hate what it looks like at address, I honestly can't do it.

This question could be directed at me today.
Why can't I hit the MB 7 iron 175 yards, that's what I want to look at.
Why am I hitting the GI 7 iron 180 yards, that's what I don't want to look at.

I remember the first time I picked up Altitudes I said WTF? Then shot even par with them at a THP Event with @J4U
That was fun to watch for sure! That set filled up space ina golf bag.

Jman let me hit one at an event (seems like an eternity ago) and it just went right on target like it was nothing. Gave it right back to him and said these are huge shovels. Never mind I just hit one of my better shots all round. Stupid ego.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JB
I am a traditionalist and finally moved to my first cast irons in 30 years and to graphite shafts in irons post injuries but still want at least something visually appealing. It would take an absolute game changer for me that changes multiple strokes a round to change up more.

Back