“If it makes me better, I’ll play it, no matter what it looks like!” - Be Honest

I'm fairly open to trying new things, but I have to enjoy what I'm playing with, since ultimately this is supposed to be about fun. I also think that confidence plays a factor here. If I'm not confident, it's likely that my game will slip which would negate any potential improvements from whatever it is I'm looking at.

So, would I play anything? No. Would I give most things a shot? Yes.

I won’t buy a club if I don’t like the look, but I won’t keep playing a club that’s not right for me just because I like the look.

I think the answer for me on this one is yes. Right now the irons and driver in my bag were fit for me, and I went purely based on numbers during the fitting. Chunky irons, a turbulated driver, and some lightweight, weak shafts. Putting the no ego bag together.

I do think I see a bit of difference between hitting wider soled irons off of turf vs mats in terms of crispness of contact - and I'm trying to figure that out. But alas, the winter isn't the time for that.

I guess it's kind of a thin line... I want what I play to look good as I see it because I'm holding it but I also want it to help me.

Blades won't work for me. I had them years ago. I want SGI clubs... but not hybrids. I don't like how they look. But I'm ok with fairway woods that look more traditional.

If it's a hollow bodied iron it's got to hide its J-Lo booty well... some do while others... don't.

I am totally in the camp of if I hit the clubs better, I don't care what they look like. Give me the chunkiest, hybrid looking, weird shape, etc. The score is all that matters to me.

If I get measurable improvement from clubs, my eyes will learn to love them. The fundamental core of this topic for me is that I don't believe that my game will be measurably better or worse with a range of different clubs, assuming they are all relatively recent in design and fitted for me with shaft and LLL. I have not tried OL but feel confident putting those in the same thinking. OL would be a novel option but likely neither better nor worse. When I attempted to engage in discussion of OL versus kowtowing :p, the answer to objective benefits was OL removes variables. Well, there is always one key variable that can't be removed, the golfer holding the club. :cool: In the end, if someone wants to play blades, OL, GI, SGI, actual shovels ... great. Have fun. Choice is good.

I remember the first time I picked up Altitudes I said WTF? Then shot even par with them at a THP Event with @J4U
I remember that, then me buying a set and texting you in the course with a big ole “WTF?” :ROFLMAO:

You don't think confidence is important in golf? I'd say golf is more mental than physical once you get to a certain level of competence.
It takes physical to get to a certain level of competence. Anyone can want to be a competent golfer, but athleticism still dictates that far more than the looks of a club.

Hmmm... Honestly? I posted in the "ego" thread "function before form," but I think I have limits. E.g.: I really liked what I read of the Callaway Mavrik Max irons. Seems like they're made for players like me. Then I fondled one at my LGS a few days ago. That top line... I don't know if that's something I could love no matter what those irons might do for my game.

Yes sir! Give me a bag full of hybrids or turbo launchers and a LAB putter!

I think when I was earlier on in my golf experience I'd probably give you a more firm yes answer.

As it stands today, the answer is maybe, but definitely not always. Maybe I've gotten used to it, maybe I'm ridiculous. I struggle with the look of SGI irons with a significant offset. My miss is a hook, but don't know if that justifies my reasoning, I just can't do it. Also feel that way about woods/hybrids. I have gamed a square driver in the past and wouldn't rule it out, but it would have to be a significant performance gain to get into something wonky looking. Putters I'm not sure exactly where the line is, but there is one. It's somewhere around a Cure or the VHS tape on a stick.

Nope, plain and simple. Ping drivers are a good example. I have hit them well in the past but just can't seem to get past the sound. It has to markedly better for me & I'd still have issues I think. I also had the choice between the LAB putter and the long neck I'm playing now. Sure, I made a few more putts with the LAB but there was no way I was going to buy it or use it. Maybe I should be more open minded but I just can't.

An old saying from my youth "A little bit of money covers up a whole bunch of ugly" just doesn't ring as true anymore.

Nope. Thankfully, will all the great equipment out there, I can find something that works and also appeals to my eye.
☝☝☝☝☝☝ This. There is something out there appealing AND improves my game.

It takes physical to get to a certain level of competence. Anyone can want to be a competent golfer, but athleticism still dictates that far more than the looks of a club.
I agree. I'm just saying that for many the confidence inspired by a club that looks good to their eye will outweigh the benefits of a more forgiving club.

Playing for the big bucks eh?

No but I do play in a bit of local competitive golf. I am thinking about cutting a long putter down 2 inches so it is clear it isn't anchored. I did putt better with the long putter than I putted this year.

i switched to Mav Max driver for that exact reason.

Nope. I’ll play a chunky iron or a driver that sounds like an old Bombat aluminum bat hitting a chunk of gravel, but I can’t stand looking at a ton of offset.

I agree. I'm just saying that for many the confidence inspired by a club that looks good to their eye will outweigh the benefits of a more forgiving club.
If you’re most confident looking at a blade but are a sh***y ball striker, there are no benefits.

I've gamed the Nike Sasquatch toaster (oops I meant driver) and then upgraded to the Callaway square driver and fairways. So, yes I will play whatever seems to improve my game.
Except putters. I game everything from true blades to mallets and everything in between. BUT it must look good.

The noisy driver would take some getting used to and I'm hoping a dinner plate sized putter head is illegal, otherwise, looks wouldn't bother me if I got better results.

Never put something in the bag that looks great but doesn't perform well. Pretty simple.

Never put something in the bag that looks great but doesn't perform well. Pretty simple.
Maybe I need one set for days I just want to go sit around the pro shop and let people admire my "playa" clubs and another set for days I'm actually going to play golf. Engage ultimate poser mode! :ROFLMAO:

Back