“Life changing” music

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
Deep down inside I am a rock and roll grunge tattoed up metal head. In reality, I’m a conservative, vanilla suburban. But tonight I started listening to Ozzy‘a No More Tears album and flashbacks galore happened. What really freaked me out is that in grade school I thought Ozzie was older than dirt when I got the album and tonight I realized I am the same age now when Ozzy recorded it.

Reflecting back, these are the albums that influenced me.
  • Van Halen 1984 - my cousin brought it to my grandpa’s house. I was 6 and I can remember every detail of the cover. I wanted to be a smoking baby angel.
  • Beastie Boys License to Ill - it was 1986 and my neighbor brought it over. We were in my basement listening to it on a dual cassette boom box. I had never heard anything like it and I was ready to party.
  • Led Zeppelin IV - I heard it for the first time between 6th and 7th grade at Boy Scout camp. Black dog just resinated with me and it may be the greatest song I’ve ever heard.
  • Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction - it defined the late 80s. I can remember discussing it with my grandma on Halloween night in 1988.
  • Ozzy Osbourne No More Tears - I was in 7th grade and it was one of my first CDs. At the time I thought Ozzy was old as dirt but he was the same age as me now. Looking back it was one of his best solo albums.
  • Nirvana Nevermind - I bought the CD at street side records in 1992. After hearing it, I knew that music would never be the same. It killed the hair bands.
That sums up my musical influence as a child. What about you?

The main one for me was a Bob Marley’s Greatest Hits CD. Bought it in the late 90’s in high school. If I’m having a bad day, listen to it, and instantly in a better mood.

Great post.

My first musical influence was my dad. He plays guitar but also sung for us and family. He introduced me to some key songs that I’d identify with later on...

For mainstream music:

1. Jim Croce. Several of his songs, but mainly Operator and Recently.
2. Green Day - Dookie. This was the first album I bought new when it came out in 1994. I can’t believe I didn’t wear it out in my yellow Sony Walkman.
3. Our Lady Peace - Naveed, Clumsy, and Happiness... These were my everyday listening besides Green Day throughout the 90’s.
4. Led Zeppelin - IV. My intro to classic rock, and really shaped where my preferences would go from here. I’ve owned this album twice on LP, MP3, and CD.
5. The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters. This music soothes the soul. It is absolutely incredible and I feel energized after listening to this album.

I think there are others that are significant, but these are 100% the foundation of everything else.

First album I bought 8th grade Foreigner - Double Vision 1978 (I still have it) brought the world of music to me in a one stop light town in Southern Oregon.

I liked 311 when their blue album came out and they got some airplay on MTV, but when their next album Transistor came out I was blown away.

Sublime's self entitled album and their only major release before Brad Knowle died is a masterpiece as well. Their older album they recorded in their garage is great too, unfortunately they only have 23 total songs and they're all good. In my older years I have come to fi d albums that speak to me at certain moments of life.

The Foo Fighters released Wasting Light when Dave Grohl was about at the same stage of family life I was in and those songs just talk about family, children, and hitting middle age so well that they all struck home with me.

As I have gotten older it takes a lot more for a band to get on my radar, but when The Arctic Monkeys album AM caught my attention I really liked their cocky, edgy, rock and roll style. That album was amazing, bu it opened me up to a band I have really enjoyed listening to their entire catalogue. Great songs and man they have some attitude.

I liked 311 when their blue album came out and they got some airplay on MTV, but when their next album Transistor came out I was blown away.

Sublime's self entitled album and their only major release before Brad Knowle died is a masterpiece as well. Their older album they recorded in their garage is great too, unfortunately they only have 23 total songs and they're all good. In my older years I have come to fi d albums that speak to me at certain moments of life.

The Foo Fighters released Wasting Light when Dave Grohl was about at the same stage of family life I was in and those songs just talk about family, children, and hitting middle age so well that they all struck home with me.

As I have gotten older it takes a lot more for a band to get on my radar, but when The Arctic Monkeys album AM caught my attention I really liked their cocky, edgy, rock and roll style. That album was amazing, bu it opened me up to a band I have really enjoyed listening to their entire catalogue. Great songs and man they have some attitude.
Yep, listened to a lot of Sublime and Foo Fighters too. Grohl is an amazing musician; their concerts all look so good. Even when he was up there with a broken leg!

1. GNR-Appetite and the Illusions albums. Coma is still in the rotation along with most of Appetite

2. Metallica- Black Album all the way thru.

3. Tupac-From Dear Mama, Brenda, to Open Fire....he hit on all of it. Open Fire has been in my top ten of Spotify for a decade lol

4. Bon Jovi- Big time connection here with the wife. From concerts to drunken sing alongs....they are the go to on date night and some songs bring back exact memories for the wife and I.

5. Elvis- From my grandma and my dad (both who have passed on now) Elvis always was playing in the houses. Means more now obviously.

i have hundreds of songs that are tied to specific memories....some good and some bad. I have a hour commute both ways now for work and everyday I am reminded of someone due to a song that plays.

great thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Metallica‘s Black album really opened my eyes up to what music could be, and that music could really speak to me. I always loved music, but growing up my mom was always a Country fan, and while there were some great songs nothing spoke to me quite like Metallica did. That led into White Zombie, and Fear Factory and of course the grunge scene and it just kind of spiraled out from there.

1. GNR-Appetite and the Illusions albums. Coma is still in the rotation along with most of Appetite

2. Metallica- Black Album all the way thru.

3. Tupac-From Dear Mama, Brenda, to Open Fire....he hit on all of it. Open Fire has been in my top ten of Spotify for a decade lol

4. Bon Jovi- Big time connection here with the wife. From concerts to drunken sing alongs....they are the go to on date night and some songs bring back exact memories for the wife and I.

5. Elvis- From my grandma and my dad (both who have passed on now) Elvis always was playing in the houses. Means more now obviously.

i have hundreds of songs that are tied to specific memories....some good and some bad. I have a hour commute both ways now for work and everyday I am reminded of someone due to a song that plays.

great thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Appetite for Destruction is such a good album. So many amazing songs! That’s a real good one.

Metallica‘s Black album really opened my eyes up to what music could be, and that music could really speak to me. I always loved music, but growing up my mom was always a Country fan, and while there were some great songs nothing spoke to me quite like Metallica did. That led into White Zombie, and Fear Factory and of course the grunge scene and it just kind of spiraled out from there.
I really like the Black album, but one of my favourite opening tracks has to be on Ride the Lightning.

I really like the Black album, but one of my favourite opening tracks has to be on Ride the Lightning.

Yeah, Ride the Lightning was a great Album. I honestly don’t listen to much Metallica any more, I found bands and other albums I liked more, Metallica was just that first baby step into the wider musical world for me, right sound, right time, right place.

Yeah, Ride the Lightning was a great Album. I honestly don’t listen to much Metallica any more, I found bands and other albums I liked more, Metallica was just that first baby step into the wider musical world for me, right sound, right time, right place.
Completely agree. It’s rare that I have a Metallica song selected, though they do come on the radio every once in awhile. Still great albums though.

I was just saying last week to my wife that Sublime’s album still holds up today. I bought it when I was in college and instantly loved it. I still love to listen to it.

I was just saying last week to my wife that Sublime’s album still holds up today. I bought it when I was in college and instantly loved it. I still love to listen to it.
IMO Brad Knowle was a bigger loss than Kurt Cobain. There other garage album is amazing too. Little harder and less refined for sure, but the songs are great. This is a great one here:

(What’s the Story) Morning Glory by Oasis blew my mind when it came out and it still does today. They never hit really big in the states but I am a huge fan of the first two albums. So many great songs on this one. I used to hang out with a guy from Wales who introduced me to them before they really hit it big.

Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dreams changed the way I looked at music and I feel in love with this genre!

Growing up I was influenced with a lot of spanish music. My dad was a big spanish ballads guy, so I have that ingrained in me. My grandfather was always listening to Mariachi music and that is one that gets me in the feels everytime I listen to it.

For me as I got older I gravitated to Rap/R&B. Early on it was the Isley Brothers, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Sam Cook, Curtis Mayfield, and later on Prince and Michael Jackson.

On the Rap side Run DMC started it all and I listened to all of it. The album that stuck with me was Beastie Boys License to Ill. That was a fantastic album and I went through 3 cassettes i played it so much.

In middle school Metallica hooked me. Master of Puppets opened the doors to hard rock and I loved it.

(What’s the Story) Morning Glory by Oasis blew my mind when it came out and it still does today. They never hit really big in the states but I am a huge fan of the first two albums. So many great songs on this one. I used to hang out with a guy from Wales who introduced me to them before they really hit it big.
Oh yes! Great album for sure! I remember getting it on CD for Christmas.

Deep down inside I am a rock and roll grunge tattoed up metal head. In reality, I’m a conservative, vanilla suburban. But tonight I started listening to Ozzy‘a No More Tears album and flashbacks galore happened. What really freaked me out is that in grade school I thought Ozzie was older than dirt when I got the album and tonight I realized I am the same age now when Ozzy recorded it.

Reflecting back, these are the albums that influenced me.
  • Van Halen 1984 - my cousin brought it to my grandpa’s house. I was 6 and I can remember every detail of the cover. I wanted to be a smoking baby angel.
  • Beastie Boys License to Ill - it was 1986 and my neighbor brought it over. We were in my basement listening to it on a dual cassette boom box. I had never heard anything like it and I was ready to party.
  • Led Zeppelin IV - I heard it for the first time between 6th and 7th grade at Boy Scout camp. Black dog just resinated with me and it may be the greatest song I’ve ever heard.
  • Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction - it defined the late 80s. I can remember discussing it with my grandma on Halloween night in 1988.
  • Ozzy Osbourne No More Tears - I was in 7th grade and it was one of my first CDs. At the time I thought Ozzy was old as dirt but he was the same age as me now. Looking back it was one of his best solo albums.
  • Nirvana Nevermind - I bought the CD at street side records in 1992. After hearing it, I knew that music would never be the same. It killed the hair bands.
That sums up my musical influence as a child. What about you?
Some great albums here for sure!

I like all genres and you can probably tell by my list.

Motley Crue - Theatre of Pain - Home Sweet Home (I had all of their albums but this one was the one)
Metallica - And Justice for All - One
Garth Brooks - Garth Brooks - The Dance (Pretty much all his albums, My Mom is his biggest fan)
Elvis - Everything (My Grandmother got me hooked on Elvis)
Tupac & Biggie - Everything (This is my teenage car bumpin)

I could go on and on!!

I’m about the same. I often listen to Hair Nation on road trips. Provides a flash back to the younger and dumber days.

I grew up at the end of hair metal amd the beginning of grunge but I think the first cd I bought was Oasis or Wallflowers. My dad had a crazy rule that the driver picked the music in the vehicle on trips so I got the music of the 50-60's with country mixed in because I lived in the sticks and those were the only stations that came in. As I got older and was able to subject my dad to my style of music it was Nirvana, Korn, Metallica, and Greenday. Shortly after that he told me I had to buy a vehicle for myself because his would not be playing that type of music. :laughing:

Back