“Major” Tournaments

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Who decided that the 4 tournaments now classified as Majors, are the only major tournaments? Is it just tradition or is there something official? Could another tournament be added or one replaced? Would there be a “major” uproar if say the Players Championship was made the fifth major? Would Majors records be retroactively updated to include Jack’s 3 victories there or would they only be added for future winners. Seeing how the excitement level goes up for the major events, you’d think the tour would like the additional exposure. What do you think?

Didn't there used to be more and/or different majors than today? I think I recall reading that the Western Open (or something like that) was considered a major for a while, but it slowly lost prominence.

For my part, I think it comes around naturally. The Players has been gaining a lot of prestige lately and a lot of people have been pushing for it be a major. I know that things are more crystalized today than they used to be, but if the Players gains enough prestige it might jump something like the PGA in popularity and maybe it is added to the list down the road.

Originally the 4 majors were The Open, the U.S. Open, the British Amateur, and the U.S. Amateur. This was in the earlier part of the 1900's when Bobby Jones was the biggest name in golf and those were the 4 he won when he completed the Grand Slam. At that time Amateur golf was bigger and pros were not as highly thought of as today. Over the years though with the like of Nelson, Hogan, and Snead the PGA and later the Masters took the place of the two Amateur tournaments as Majors. I kind of get adding the Players as a 5th Major and while it works adding those to Jack's count, it wouldn't help the earlier guys like Hogan and Palmer so it would kind of diminish their stock.

The other thing that makes them unique is that they're all run independently, outside the PGA. The Players is the biggest "PGA" event, which is why they make it a big deal.

I am 100% against adding any more majors. The 4 we have is currently plenty, I see no reason to add or remove from them. If a 5th is added, The Players, then previous winners do NOT get a major championship. Look at The Evian for the women.

The other thing that makes them unique is that they're all run independently, outside the PGA. The Players is the biggest "PGA" event, which is why they make it a big deal.
I think the PGA Championship might be part of the PGA.

That being said, the current majors are split evenly between the three largest entities within the world of golf...and the Masters, which frankly stands alone.

The USGA runs the US Open
The Royal & Ancient runs The Open Championship
The PGA runs the PGA Championship
The Masters is a unique celebration of golf and really can only be appreciated as a tradition unlike any other.

I think the PGA Championship might be part of the PGA.

That being said, the current majors are split evenly between the three largest entities within the world of golf...and the Masters, which frankly stands alone.

The USGA runs the US Open
The Royal & Ancient runs The Open Championship
The PGA runs the PGA Championship
The Masters is a unique celebration of golf and really can only be appreciated as a tradition unlike any other.

The PGA is run by the PGA that teaching pros are part of. That is not the PGA Tour which runs the tour and Players Championship.

I like the 4 majors we have now, even though I only make a point to watch 3 of them. Those 3 being The Masters, The Open, and the U.S. Open.

I think there will be a 5th major because the players want it, and they usually get what they want eventually. I also think money will be a determining factor in the designation of a 5th major.

I just hope this 5th major isn't a birdiefest.

The PGA is run by the PGA that teaching pros are part of. That is not the PGA Tour which runs the tour and Players Championship.
^ Correct. The PGA of America and the PGA Tour are separate organizations. PGA of America is the organization of club pros, teachers, etc., while the PGA Tour is the organization of professional golfers. It's the PGA of America that runs the PGA Championship - the PGA Tour doesn't run any of the Majors (they do run the Players Championship and the FedEx Cup, though).

4 golf Superbowls per year is enough for me.

Arnold Palmer was the one that kind of marketed and came up with the current 4 tournaments that are majors according to many. It was a conversation he had with a reporter on an airline across the Atlantic to get to the British Open.

Arnold Palmer was the one that kind of marketed and came up with the current 4 tournaments that are majors according to many. It was a conversation he had with a reporter on an airline across the Atlantic to get to the British Open.

That’s interesting in that many people credit Arnold Palmer with “saving” what was known then as the British Open.

No to a 5th major. There is not one and absolutely should not be one.

Back