“Working” the ball....do you do it?

I used to and should probably get back to it.

When I'd hit the range, I always worked on turning the ball both ways, flighting it with turn too. I did it with driver all the way down the LW, believe it or not.

Of course with LW, there's very little opportunity for turn wrt the massive backspin. But I'd imagine myself maybe having to hit over or under a tree and because I couldn't go at the pin, I'd try to impart some cut or hook spin on the ball to get the desire reaction on the green.

I tended to overdo it a bit on the course with irons, playing around too much with turn, so I started to put more stock into my natural flight (then a draw, now potluck). Since, injuries have kept me from the range so the toying there ended abruptly.

Wrt to my irons, it's probably what's missing. Maybe not the actual working of the ball but the preparation prior and the confidence enjoyed when iron was in hand.

I didn't pull off every shot back then, not nearly. But I knew that I had the shot in my bag somewhere.

Ive tried this with little success. Truthfully I should practice it more to better assess where my game is relative to where its been

I can work the driver a little bit (fade / draw) but not always consistently. With my irons I can hit low punch hooks for recovery and sometimes fade /draw off the tee. I spend a lot of time working on hitting wedges high /low and like to flight them to control the spin

I flight the ball down quite a bit but other than that I mostly play my regular flight shape which is a slight cut. I don’t practice enough to do anything else.

Some during practice and once in a while on the course. Sometimes I get the results I want and others I don't. I still need to learn to "groove" my swing better.

I try to prove to myself I can still do it, but only on the range, with the exception of being behind a tree when I will try and hit a low hook.

Following up on the windows part. I've never thought about it that way. I could probably hit 5 of the 9 windows with some success. High fade, high straight, high draw, mid straight, mid draw. Mid or low fades would be challenging, and low straight or low with a draw are tough unless a trap draw way, way left would count -- maybe that's the 99th window. I'll have to think about that hitting one of these days.

The modern ball has made working the ball much harder for most recreational golfers; with the old balata balls of yesteryear it was much easier to "work" the ball and actually "play shots". Lots of straight line, point A to point B, golf being played these days.
Not so sure I’d agree with that, but I do get your point relatively speaking.

Natural draw player, but can work fades well also. Would still like to have all 9 windows on call :ROFLMAO:
I hate blocks and double cross's, so hard to shake them off mentally, drive's me nuts ?

I do work the ball when i need to. I can draw or fade when i want. Its hard to play the windows game depending on the range you frequent, as the balls they have sometimes suck. I do tend to , once i get warmed up, try to flight balls depending on the forecast for the day. If it is going to be or already is windy, i will hit low shots and cut or draw them. It is not something i try to do all the time on the range though.

I can't work the ball very well, I would like to be able to though.

I only practice 6 windows. High: draw, straight, and fade, low: draw, straight, and fade. Do it with driver and a mid iron.

Occasionally I go for a few other windows... Toyota, Buick, maybe a Subaru. I like to mix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried now and then, but never been good enough to have much control on it. I try mostly just to keep the ball in front of me, with less than desirable results hahaha. Eventually, I'd like to get where I could though.

A couple years ago when my swing was it’s best - I could do the bottom six windows, fade was the best the left was lower percentage but had more confidence to try it.

I struggle with ball flight, flighting high is always a struggle.

Now probably 4/5 of the windows and it’s all low left
I have similar problems with elevating the ball. Always been a low ball guy. Have you found a shaft or ball that has really helps with this?

I try to practice hitting draws, fades, and straight balls. My window is never very high though. When I can consistently control the ball is when I have confidence in working the window. It’s not very often tho.

On every shot.

Even if it doesn't work out.

I try to have a clear idea of the shot I am planning. And visualize it during the practice Swings and Stroke.

At first it was unsuccessful more often.

But eventually as you fully commit yourself to the shot, your subconscious takes over and is able to communicate your intentions to the ball.

Eventually you see it succeeding more and more. Until Now 70 to 80 percent of the time Your visualization becomes your reality.

Of course your subconscious will not allow you to play a shot you don't already have in your arsenal. But if you are comfortable and committed, definitely you can make it happen.

Every single thing in golf is mental commitment. First, Last and always.

Visualize within your abilities and your golf shot become true. :drinks:

I can maybe hit 4.
Straight high
Straight low (punch)
Fade High
Fade low (punch)

Does it count as “working the ball” when you try and play a fade but the ball draws and lands 10 feet from the pin?

I do work the ball. Sometimes intentionally and sometimes unintentionally. Results vary, but the game sure is more fun.

All Tour pros can "work the ball", but anything other than standard shot shape is usually reserved to getting the ball back in play from a lie within the trees.
For example, Nicklaus throughout his career played a high trajectory fade shot.
I've never known about a Tour pro (or any top player) who made his/her way around a golf course playing a variety of shot shapes. It's hard enough to strike solid-square golf shots with one's standard shot shape. Why make it more complicated by trying to alter shot shapes from hole to hole ?

If I have to, usually involving low bendy punchout, etc.

Back