Bosco...

JB Cobb III told me to do it.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12’ish
Ever consider it? Maybe not to the extreme, but in practice and/or theory? When my sister passed, she was really into it. No random “stuff”, but what she owned was top notch. She was well off and spent her money on experiences. Lunch conversation about a space shuttle launch turned into “well, we can make it if we leave now” and an 8 hour road trip kinda stuff.

The past several years the Mrs. and I have been on a whirlwind getting rid of stuff and fluff. And boy does it feel good. We both hate clutter. Knick knacks, collectibles, hand me downs, blah, blah, blah….Clothes took the first hit, kitchen, toys, furniture, and so on. TOOLS!! Good grief, fishing rods, hunting crap, firearms I didn’t really need. The stuff that parents insist you “need” Camping crap yadda, yadda, yadda… Its quite an addictive process, but in our minds clutter=chaos. I’d rather have one of something “good” than a box of “average”.

Best thing is cleaning and organizing the house is so much easier when there’s less to clean and organize.

What’s your take?

It’s a solid take, and as someone who owns a modest sized home, it’s a necessity.

In general, I follow it mildly. I've lived in apartments up until a few months ago, so I've tried to stay "minimal" since I moved every year. The biggest reward I get from trying to stay minimal is mental clarity. I notice a difference in this at work, when my office is organized and not cluttered, it feels like my mind can breathe.

I'm all for it.

We currently live, and travel with 4 suitcases (and my golf bag, duh) that's for the 4 of us, including baby stuff (stroller, travel crib, etc.) It's quite liberating.

I do buy things here and there (like guitars) as some things are unavoidable, but for clothes especially I have adapted a one in, one out policy.

I consider it constantly but my better half considers the polar opposite so that means only things that i control are minimal like my golf bag and home/work office 🤣

All for this. When we moved into this house, clothes went upstairs but every other box of stuff went into the dining room. We have been methodically going through, getting rid of most of it. Feels great.

I’m big on this. I usually don’t keep a lot of stuff that I’m not using and I try not to hoard anything. My fiancé isn’t too bad about hoarding stuff either although we did need to have a talk after I came home one day and discovered FOUR knick knacks in our small kitchen that said “Home”😂😂😂

I would like to, but I also want to be prepared. My dad has something crazy like 15 power drills 5-6 chainsaws 40 hammers etc etc so that's not a scale I'm happy with either.

I kind of live by the motto two is one, one is none because things happen to stuff.

There are certain things though, as of right now I don't own a single pair of blue jeans - I didn't wear them for maybe 5-8 years so I just got rid of all of them from taking up space. Then we have like 5 humidifiers "in case we need them" so it's kind of like a battle of back and forth.

Not a hoarder, but if there's space somehow my wife and I will find a way to fill it with stuff we might need.

I love the idea. Having little kids makes it nearly impossible.

Want to remove clutter, just move. When we moved we got rid of SO MUCH stuff it was not funny.

I notice a difference in this at work, when my office is organized and not cluttered, it feels like my mind can breathe.

My office is the WORST! We could do an episode of hoarders. “It’s not work unless it’s printed on paper and stuffed into a binder/folder/file cabinet” screw that crap. The law says documentation retained for 5 years. I filled 4 recycling roll away bins and people lost their minds.

“but what if?” 😭😭😭

Getting ready to hit the road for a trip to OKC. I will be back to this thread a little later.

Every time Mrs. Nut walks by all my golf stuff .... "Why don't you get rid of the stuff you don't use anymore?" :rolleyes:

Yeah we do it. We have a home in Henderson Nv, we no longer live in. Just too big for the two of us. Our Grand Kids, and some other college students, have turned it into a sort of "frat house".

We now live in a comfortable RV in a nice, small town. This also means we keep very few belongings available to ourselves. Just the necessities.

If we decide at the spur of a moment we want to take a road trip, we just throw a few things in the car, and head down the road.

In fact we are on a road trip now. We left the Oregon Coast yesterday. We decided on our I-84 drive east to head for Yellowstone NP instead of back home. Might eventually get there Thursday.

I am moving out of my house for a rehab, and OMG, can't believe all the golf stuff. I could start a store on training aids that I do not need any longer. And the memories stuff like photos, etc. The auto care stuff ... you name it, too much of it.

Gave me time to reflect.

So, the wife and I have been traveling Europe for the past few months. Beaches, cities and things in between. We both brought small backpacks ( the budget airlines make them fit under seats ). Not having anything and limited choices has made it the most stress free times of my life. We keep talking about just decluttering when we get home. B0382954-6551-46FF-A0A0-0C1A23E2BE56.jpeg

Down sizing of sorts in our future. I’m almost ashamed of the amount of things we have. Current full time home a vacation property in Colorado and a 45’ Diesel Motorhome. Then add to that the shop with all the metal fab equipment I work with and another building where we keep Motorhome and Offroad toys.

Its time to eliminate stuff and properties and simplify life. Motorhome will go on the for sale list following an upcoming trip to our sons wedding. Looking to relocate so a move in the future. That move will be good time to shed some of the fat. Shop will more than likely sell to the company I do a lot of work for. Will however have to buy a small 5th wheel or camper. I will still be commuting a few days a week for work.
The up keep and maintenance on multiple properties is beginning to be a pain. Working toward a house near the golf course with a lot less stuff.

Down sizing of sorts in our future. I’m almost ashamed of the amount of things we have. Current full time home a vacation property in Colorado and a 45’ Diesel Motorhome. Then add to that the shop with all the metal fab equipment I work with and another building where we keep Motorhome and Offroad toys.

Its time to eliminate stuff and properties and simplify life. Motorhome will go on the for sale list following an upcoming trip to our sons wedding. Looking to relocate so a move in the future. That move will be good time to shed some of the fat. Shop will more than likely sell to the company I do a lot of work for. Will however have to buy a small 5th wheel or camper. I will still be commuting a few days a week for work.
The up keep and maintenance on multiple properties is beginning to be a pain. Working toward a house near the golf course with a lot less stuff.
The camper is something on our want list. We like the small pop ups, but the fifth wheel seems even easier. It could live in tne side yard and easily clip on as wanted.

I'm the wrong one to ask. While my house may not be bad enough to get me on an episode of hoarders, it's getting close. Though it's probably more because it's messy than actual amount of stuff.

Well we have a two car garage, my wife has her Lexus in there, but I can't get my car in there, why you ask, the complete parking area for a second car, is filled with plastic storage binds, each labeled and filled with Christmas decorations of her fav colors, white, silver, red, gold and blue.. . I asked her 20 years ago, can we cut back on some of these decorations, all I got was :ROFLMAO:

Yes the need to purge is real. I've been going through stuff and whittling down my interests over the last few years. Being a homeowner, and now a father, our house got crowded so quickly and I wondered why I was saving so much stuff. Then we had to move my wife's grandfather (92) into assisted living and seeing all the random stuff he had accumulated over the years. Just because something is old does not mean it's worth saving. As an amusing anecdote/example, right now my child is the only grandchild in either family. As of this moment they will inherit at least 6 sets of full service wedding china.

As a style, I love how it looks, but feel that it fits my work aesthetic and not my living/home aesthetic. Purging and organization are a thing of beauty so, though I would not be labeled a minimalist, I do go through phases or purging just to reduce clutter and give things that have not seen use in 6 months to a year a new chance at use.

I'm a certified minimalist. I actually get a high from throwing things out. Most exhilarating feeling in life. Not sure at all why though.

I’m totally on board with it - living a life where everything has a purpose and you don’t have as you say “stuff” that’s superfluous to requirements appeals to me greatly.

Maybe JB will allow a Yard Sale section in the classifieds one day to help the purge!

Back