šŸ¤” Minimalism?

I like some stuff and I like not having some stuff. It just depends. I could never do a minimalist wardrobe. I like colors too much.

I like to make stuff, so having a house filled with tools and supplies helps avoid "supply chain issues."

I have more fishing rods than golf clubs, fly rods of all types, spinning and casting ( for salt and fresh) and one surf rod and reel Iā€™ve never used. The wife comments, why do you need all of these fishing rods, my comment why do you need all those shoes šŸ¤¬šŸ¤

Last edited:
Minimalist is not really a thing but it will change a bit when we sell our main home as empty nesters next summer. My wife loves buying stuff, especially clothes, handbags/purses, and kitchen stuff. Her wardrobe is easily 20x bigger than mine so it will be interesting to see her thin it out when we sell our house. Right now we have no plans to replace it with another home and our small condo in Florida canā€™t hold even 10% of her clothes, lol.

Kind of a timely question. And I find myself wandering through my home and not knowing what to do with any of the stuff.. My first marriage lasted 16 years then she died. Our house was furnished but none of it was heirloom worthy. Then I met my second wife and she brough in a lot of stuff from her first marriage (her husband died) and when her parents died so my house has stuff from 2 generations and 3 families. And I remember the significance of some of it but not all of it. It's nice stuff but... it's a LOT of stuff. Especially the knick-knacks, tchotchkes, and odds and ends.

So I'm making a plan of getting rid of the things I know I can get rid of; and the things I don't know what to do with I guess I'll have to consult my kids and my wife's family and make sure I'm not getting rid of family heirlooms.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø I mean, what can I do otherwise?

I'm not going to go spartan and total minimalism... but I'm going to reduce the clutter. And stop the 2 is 1 and 1 is none mentality.

I'm a minimalist. The wife...not so much. I can get by with little to nothing. I'd much rather have the experiences than the toys/things. It's the way I am wired, I suppose. Once I own something, I tire of it rather quickly.

Can't say it's minimalism but we are in a 900 sqft apartment while the house is built (2700 sqft) the house we sold was 7200 so I'd say we are closer to minimalism than ever - and we got rid of or sold soooooo much stuff. All living room, dining room kitchen and 2 bedroom sets, just got rid of so much.

The idea of it is great, but I could never pull it off. The clothes side of it always gets me. I figure I like too much variation.

Having kids though, with the amount of things that seem to always be sitting around, would live to just box everything up and say we are minimalists now lol.

Back