Murray

Reaction score
Handicap
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the equipment pondering thread or just make a new one!

I have 13 clubs and am wondering what to get as my 14th - if anything!
From looking at my gear can anyone see a gap etc? I am considering a 'D' Niblick

Thanks

maybe a 3 hybrid.

I was thinking you have 6* of a gap in your wedges as well. 5 is my max I shoot for

maybe a 3 hybrid.

I was thinking you have 6* of a gap in your wedges as well. 5 is my max I shoot for

I kind of agree with One-T here, maybe bend your 58-59 or 60 and get a 55* TaylorMade xFT wedge in there.

I would definitely second one-t's suggestion of a 2 or 3 hybrid

Biggest gap I see is between that 5 iron and 3 wood based on what yardage your current 4 hybrid is for you. A 2 wedge system can work, but like One-T says, 4* is ideal.

Using my own yardages, I would have between 180 yards (5 iron) and 240 yards (4W) to fill in with hybrids. That would have me looking for a 2 hybrid.

I wish I had your problem. I have 16 clubs I love but have to choose which two to sit out depending on the course I'm playing.
For you though? Another hybrid. That'll be what I replace next, most likely.

Hmmm I'm not sure I agree with need for a solid degree gap in wedges. Whatever I'm going to use my wedges for is what I get.

I like the idea of a Niblick though. Unless you have a distance gap somewhere, then find a club that fills it.

I was thinking the same thing...6* gap between wedges is alot

3 wood - 260
5 wood - 240
4 hybrid - 220
5 iron - 200

All on a clear day, of course... and averages. Plus the degree from my 3 wood up to my PW all increase up by 4 degrees. Then a jump of 5 to the 52 wedge and 6 to the 58. I feel comfortable with the 52 and 58, if I need anything different I can just open/close one. It's why I went for a 58 instead of a 60 really.
I honestly can't think of anything apart from a niblick. I will read a review on it as I am unsure what it will give me around the greens

Thanks for the imput guys

3 wood - 260
5 wood - 240
4 hybrid - 220
5 iron - 200

All on a clear day, of course... and averages. Plus the degree from my 3 wood up to my PW all increase up by 4 degrees. Then a jump of 5 to the 52 wedge and 6 to the 58. I feel comfortable with the 52 and 58, if I need anything different I can just open/close one. It's why I went for a 58 instead of a 60 really.
I honestly can't think of anything apart from a niblick. I will read a review on it as I am unsure what it will give me around the greens

Thanks for the imput guys

Maybe a 56 niblick...

leave it open until/if you find a need. the rule is 14 is the max not that you have to carry 14

Sounds like you got it figured out pretty well. A niblick sounds like a good idea OR you could be like Phil and go with two drivers :D

leave it open until/if you find a need. the rule is 14 is the max not that you have to carry 14

I don't like this idea. Why leave yourself one tool short?

What is your distance gapping in your short irons? I run a 4 wedge bag, so I am partial to more wedges.

13* wood would be my suggestion.

Two Words, Yonex EZONE.....

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the equipment pondering thread or just make a new one!

I have 13 clubs and am wondering what to get as my 14th - if anything!
From looking at my gear can anyone see a gap etc? I am considering a 'D' Niblick

Thanks

I don't like this idea. Why leave yourself one tool short?

What is your distance gapping in your short irons? I run a 4 wedge bag, so I am partial to more wedges.

I hit my PW about 120 and the 52 100. I sometimes feel that's a big gap in wedges but have come to feel good at 3/4 shots with the PW :)

I am thinking the 49 niblick is the only club that will be beneficial. I use my PW (47 degrees) to chip and run and it mostly goes too far, so maybe the 49 niblick will help this

I hit my PW about 120 and the 52 100. I sometimes feel that's a big gap in wedges but have come to feel good at 3/4 shots with the PW :)

I am thinking the 49 niblick is the only club that will be beneficial. I use my PW (47 degrees) to chip and run and it mostly goes too far, so maybe the 49 niblick will help this

I don't know a lot about niblicks personally. I would maybe redo your wedge set to something like 47-51-55-59

Which actually is what my new wedge set is!

Is a Niblick legal in tournament play? That's a serious question, I don't know.
And if not, does that matter to you.

Are you consistent with your irons? Reason I ask is that I have a 7-wood that is ridiculously easy to hit, and every time I take it out of my bag it always finds its way back. So I might look at that option as a no-brainer easy club to hit. If you're happy with your wedges, then don't change. If that 7-wood idea isn't good for you, then I'd consider either the Niblick or even a 4-iron that matches your set. I really like having a 4 iron in my bag.

I think doing this is a mistake. I think he should carry something else and not just leave an empty slot. If nothing else, carry a hit it out of the rocks club, a left handed 7 iron or an extra driver. Anything. Why not fill the spot?

Couldnt hit a 4 iron so went for a 4 hybrid and it's probably my favourite club now. I spent a long time deciding on my wedges and what degree to get etc and am happy with those currently. I have bought a 49 Niblick as I figured it is the only club that can bring something else to my game on the course. I look forward to the results :)
Thanks for the help

I think doing this is a mistake. I think he should carry something else and not just leave an empty slot. If nothing else, carry a hit it out of the rocks club, a left handed 7 iron or an extra driver. Anything. Why not fill the spot?

Ok so carry something just for the sake of carrying something? fine do that then

Ok so carry something just for the sake of carrying something? fine do that then

Welcome back. Again.

If he's not carrying his clubs (and even if he is) what is having one more club going to hurt?

You're the only one who said don't fill the spot. Why reply to mine? As if I don't know.

I just don't understand why you would want to be at a disadvantage by not carrying all 14 clubs.

Welcome back. Again.

If he's not carrying his clubs (and even if he is) what is having one more club going to hurt?

I was just using the term "carry" as saying it is in the bag, i didn't mean literally "carrying" the club. i forgot how literal every thing gets taken here...

So to clarify;

Ok so fill the slot just for the sake of filling the slot? fine do that then

Back