10 Finger Grip?!?

FrancisD

Reaction score
Handicap
Was an idiot last week and jammed(smushed) my right ring finger pretty good picking up a break the wrong way by myself...

Come Saturday morning we have the first tee time so no warm ups and omg did my interlocking grip hurt on that first swing. I made it through the 1st hole with my regular grip but walking up to the 2nd hole I was ready to go home but my buddy said try overlap or baseball grip and see if it helps. I took a few practice swings with each and the 10 finger grip didn't seem to hurt all that much. Next thing I know I'm going 40/42 which is an incredible round for my 16ish handicap. Sunday we play at a course with a range so I get there early and grab a large bucket and start whacking away with my new 10 finger grip and things felt good. Went out and shot a 39/51(the 39 is the 2nd time i've broken 40 on 9 holes and unfortunately my buddies knew it and we did Fireball shots at the turn and grabbed way too many beers for the back 9 so the 51 is not a good representation of things. Today with it being 70+ in November in Philly I take the day off and play with my Dad. I went out and shot 44/42 and lost 5 balls; 4 off the tee which 3 should have been findable but my 73 year old Dad tends to play "military golf" and by the time we got to looking for my tee shots I had no idea what the line was and the 2 guys we were grouped with were kinda getting antsy so I wound up taking drops without really looking. (BTW love my Dad and playing golf with him are some of the best times of my life I really wish we found this game to play together earlier in life). Also I putted like crap had 2 lip outs and couldn't get the speed right.

With all that said I played some of my best golf ever with a 10 finger grip, I'm thinking is this for real? I had great contact with all clubs even chipping and pitching. Does anyone play with a 10 finger grip? Is it viable long term because right now I'm thinking I'm on to something which could be bad lol... One thing I did find today was it is hard to get a repeatable grip, things seem a little squirrley but I've only played 3 rounds with it.

I do because I have small hands. One way to get a repeatable grip is use GP Align grips. Makes it much easier to set your hands the same way every time.

I do because I have small hands. One way to get a repeatable grip is use GP Align grips. Makes it much easier to set your hands the same way every time.

Great advice! I am actually looking into new grips. I currently use Winn Dri Tacs and have replaced my driver grip 4 times this year.

Great advice! I am actually looking into new grips. I currently use Winn Dri Tacs and have replaced my driver grip 4 times this year.
You could easily get one and try it on the driver or another club you use a lot then decide if it is for you. At first Aligns felt weird to me, but they work.

Yepp, I use a 10 finger grip and have for the past 4 years. I just feel like I have more control with it. I actually used to be an overlap grip back when I was younger.

I have played 10 finger for a couple years now after interlocking for a long time. I find it much easier to release toward the target and I’ve improved my handicap by quite a bit. Originally I made the switch for the same reason as you - an injury that made interlock way too painful.

I played with one for a couple of seasons. Shot about the same as when I use the interlock. The interlock feels a bit more stable to me, probably from just using it for so long. I have a buddy, who, when he actually tries, is about a mid-80's player who has always used it. He could be in the 70's if he'd actually try to improve, though.

Like music, if it sounds good, it is good.

Being a baseball player before taking up golf, the 10 finger grip was a natural way for me to grip a golf club. Just needed to remember to keep my finger knuckles lined up like when gripping a bat.

After a few years I switched to the Vardon Grip to get a more thorough release through impact. This at the urging of a swing guru I was seeing at the time.

I even tried Furyk's over lapping grip to enhance my release. Showed some promise.

Fast foreward 40 some years. With tired hands, the 10 finger, baseball grip is beginning to show up on my radar as a future possibility.

About a year and half ago I switched to the ten finger grip. I had a terrible problem with snap hooks. Then a slice when I tried to correct it. I switched to a ten finger grip and immediately noticed an improvement. Not dramatic but I knew I was on to something. With some more tweaks over a few months I was driving better than I ever have. I then went with ten finger grip for all clubs. If I try to go back to the overlapping everything feels off and the ball loses distance. With the ten finger grip though, I have to really focus on not pulling the ball which still happens on occasion.

I use the 10 finger grip for driver only as I feel it gives me more power. The rest of my clubs get the interlock grip.

Years ago I think I read in a David Leadbetter book that the grip that promotes wrist hinge from least to most would be interlock, overlap, 10-finger. For what that is worth.

I tried 10 finger a bit over the summer and saw some good results surprisingly. I have a messed up pinky which forces me to modify my overlap grip and I wonder if I'd be better off going ten finger.

An update, just had my best 9 last Sunday with my new 10 finger grip 46/38. The 46 is a little inflated took an 11 on a par 5... Was +2 the last 11 holes. I still feel getting my grip repeatable is an issue so I am going to get my buddy to put a GP Zgrip align on my driver and 7I to see if I notice a difference, thanks for the advice @Snickerdog

An update, just had my best 9 last Sunday with my new 10 finger grip 46/38. The 46 is a little inflated took an 11 on a par 5... Was +2 the last 11 holes. I still feel getting my grip repeatable is an issue so I am going to get my buddy to put a GP Zgrip align on my driver and 7I to see if I notice a difference, thanks for the advice @Snickerdog
Glad to hear it. It will get easier the more you get used to it.

I was advised to use the 10 finger baseball grip when I took lessons last year, and I have been doing it ever since. It just feels natural now.

I use the interlocking grip now, but previously used the overlapping - either one works for me.
However once in a while I'll go to a 10 finger grip if I'm close to the green and need some really quick height on the ball - almost like a flop shot but a little further out.

I use the ten finger with driver and interlock for the rest. Had read several years ago that the baseball grip should help with the slice and it did so have used it ever since. Seem to pull my iron and hybrid using the baseball grip.

I use the 10 finger grip when I want some more power. I honestly could switch to that grip exclusively and play normally. I feel like I have a better release when I use that grip.

I play overlap or 10 finger and both is fine, but 10 finger seems a bit stronger for me. I have been using the 10 finger lately with good results. Whatever works for you, go for it. I do know some people have control issues with 10 finger because they don't have the hands locked together. I really don't have that issue unless I am extremely tired and my hands are weak from overdoing it around the house.

I'm a senior with some hand arthritis and I've been struggling with consistent grip pressure and ball contact with the Vardon (overlap). After some quick trials I'm going to try the 10 finger grip for a bit. NOT the "baseball" grip that has all ten fingers wrapped around the club. For what I perceive to be and will use as the "ten finger", the left thumb still is covered by the right hand, but the right hand butts up to the left, rather than overlapping the index of the left hand in a Vardon grip. To me that feels like a less right-hand dominant version than the "baseball grip", and also to me feels like it provides a fuller backswing extension.

The two grip variations 10 finger/ baseball feel quite different to me and I suspect both styles are represented in some of the above posts referring to using the "10 finger" grip. It's like saying a "claw" putting grip is a one-size fits all description. For example I use what Mark O'Meara calls his "saw" grip. It's in the "claw" category I suppose, but it is quite different right hand position and I think I involve the right hand more than the "claw" that Sergio used for example.

.................what I perceive to be and will use as the "ten finger", the left thumb still is covered by the right hand
That is what I have always considered it to be when talking 10-finger grip in golf - lower hand covering the thumb of the upper hand.

Back