10 Yr old in US Women's Am

dtak84

Reaction score
Handicap
What is going on?! I feel so inadequate...

From Golfweek:

Latanna Stone shot 70 to win medalist honors and lead six other U.S. Women’s Amateur qualifiers July 13 at the Wanderers Club in Wellington, Fla.

Stone is just 4-foot-8 and weighs less than 100 pounds. But even more remarkable, she’s just 10 years old.

Stone, of Valrico, Fla., becomes the youngest person to qualify for a USGA event, making the field for the U.S. Women’s Amateur, which will take place Aug. 6-12 at the Country Club in Cleveland. The previous record is 12 years old.

Stone isn’t an unknown, however. She has won more than 100 tournaments, according to the Florida State Golf Association. Her swing coach is Charlotta Sorenstam, a winner on the LPGA Tour and sister of Annika Sorenstam. Stone even has her own website and twitter account (@LatannaStone).

Stone has aspirations of being the No. 1 in the world. This is a start.

“Some kids will say that and don’t really know what they’re talking about,” Charlotta Sorenstam said of Stone wanting to be No. 1 in a Jan. 5, 2011, story by Golfweek writer Beth Ann Baldry. “She does.”

My question is, can she hit the ball far enough at 10 yrs old to be able to compete? Or is it big enough news that she made it in but probably won't even get close to the match play?

I imagine she will be competing in a couple of years, it is awesome that she is good enough to qualify much less qualify at the age of 10.

[video=youtube;zTs7Y-7jD2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTs7Y-7jD2M[/video]

Thats a big 10 yr old

Donald Trump said yesterday that he wants to see her birth certificate.

Wow...that is crazy!! Very impressive, I can't even fathom qualifying for something like this at age 10. Hell, I hadn't even picked up a club at that age.

I'll bet she couldn't beat me

in basketball

That video interview with the parents made me a little sad. I fully realize extraordinary measures are required to enable people to achieve greatness but something just doesn't seem right about home schooling a young child, starting at 6:30 in the morning, in order to let her pursue golf. There's something to be said for letting kids be kids.

wow, 10 years old, thats impressive

That is unbelievable. What funny is she said she hits the ball farther than the older girls too...

She must be a tall kid... Yes?

I saw this and it's amazing, what a feat for such a young little girl. Hope she plays well!

Two age records set at the US Opens this year and both kids look a lot older than they "really are." Hmm... Anyway, she'd beat 90% of the forum members here (from our respective tees)!

I just went back to 1st post... She's 4'8"! Yikes!

Two age records set at the US Opens this year and both kids look a lot older than they "really are." Hmm... Anyway, she'd beat 90% of the forum members here (from our respective tees)!

I know she would beat me like a drum but I would really like to get in a round with her just to see how she manages her way around the course. To be shooting that low that young is phenomenal.

That Am qualifier was probably from at least 6,000 yards. Maybe up to 6,300. I suspect she'd beat most of us silly from most any yardage. She'd beat me. that's for sure. And you, too, junior.

Kevin

That video interview with the parents made me a little sad. I fully realize extraordinary measures are required to enable people to achieve greatness but something just doesn't seem right about home schooling a young child, starting at 6:30 in the morning, in order to let her pursue golf. There's something to be said for letting kids be kids.

Agreed. It is absolutely amazing that she qualified at such a young age, but you only get one shot at childhood.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

That Am qualifier was probably from at least 6,000 yards. Maybe up to 6,300. I suspect she'd beat most of us silly from most any yardage. She'd beat me. that's for sure. And you, too, junior.

Kevin

Did I ever say I'd beat her? :confused2:

4'8"? WTC roids anyone?

she looks much bigger than 4' 8" in the video

Tall spikes ;?

agree x 100! It's nice to push your kids beyond what they think they can do, but let them play, have friends, go to school, and play other sports if they want. It'll make them a more well rounded athlete, both mentally and physically.

My wife was playing a match play tourney in Georgia a few years back. I was following a match the fourth day that included this tiny gal that couldn't have been more than 12. There was a cross hazard in one fairway that all the gals were laying up to, even the college girls. She pulls a hybrid and carries it by about 10 yards. Yep ..... Lexi Thompson....

Anything is possible!!

Just watched the video.... Saying it's a gift makes sense. The really gifted kids at our school have always been intently focused on their chosen topic. They are just so rare that folks think they are strange to not do what other kids do. The parents don't seem that bad.

hackin

Back