100YDS & In: Pickers, Diggers & Everything in Between

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious as to how many THP'ers are pickers, ditch diggers, or are surprised on every swing. Haha! Where do you categorize yourself? I tend to dig, but not nearly as much as I use to. I don't take many full wedge shots anymore, but that doesn't stop me from serving up footlongs of fairway every now and then. How about you? Feel free to post pics of your divots or lack there of in this thread.

I'm always a picker unless I mishit it.

Definitely a picker. Been working on it, and maybe tending towards skimmer maybe?

My physically natural swing is a little picky, but I've worked hard on that, and I would think I'm mostly right in the middle these days, depending on shot. I don't know. I don't really compare divots. lol I think I am though. I actually have a couple pictures of this from yesterday, because I couldn't sleep and I still live in a house with just a bed and a chihuahua who hogs it for another week, but I'm kind of sick of seeing me on here, so others have to be.

I definitely pull out the picky swing on uphill lies still though. My body does not like it when I bury a club into a hill. No sir.

I’m both. Full swings to 3/4 swings inside 100 yards get a healthy divot. Pitches get one as well. I’m trying to use the bounce more inside 50 yards, so I guess that is more of a sweep.

I’m both. Full swings to 3/4 swings inside 100 yards get a healthy divot. Pitches get one as well. I’m trying to use the bounce more inside 50 yards, so I guess that is more of a sweep.
I've been focusing on using the bounce more inside 50 yds as well and especially inside 30yds. Productive thus far and checking up nicely. When I first started making the change, everything felt like a flyer at first. :LOL:

Used to be a digger. I've gotten more shallow with my swing and that extends to wedges. I sweep and pick the ball with a shallow divot or grass haircut. For some shots, however, I do still purposefully try to come in steeper and take more divot.

Used to be a picker. As I’ve worked on my swing that’s shifting. I wouldn’t say digger, maybe a shaver. If I try to over swing I can take a pretty good chunk.

digger, I like to bite down with a 50 or 54 deg

Digger here.

I couldn't afford those expensive balata covered "Titleist Pro Trajectories" back in the day, so I would pinch down on my rock hard Top Flite XL's pretty hard to get them to spin just a little.

More of a picker here, but lately with some swing changes I’ve started to dig a bit.

Wedges, neither, I’m neutral.
And getting better with my chipping only leaving a slight scuff, so half azz picker there..

I somehow hit the ball with my 56* wedge without even disturbing the grass lol.

I'm a picker, if I leave a ditch I'm doing something wrong.

More of a picker for me. I can take some divots but they will be shallow.

I was a ditch digger, like 6 inch pelts that got an inch deep.

I am now taking very minimal divots and I can’t remember when that changed.

another picker here...

Usually best when I’m taking a little sod inside 100.

Currently I'm a blader I need to focus on taking a divot for a while... Any tips?

No longer take very many big divots. Sometimes if the lie/shot requires something steeper but usually I try to let the bounce do it's thing and come in pretty shallow.

Alright. I'm so bored. A 25k town during a pandemic is... still a crap town. My wife gets back tomorrow though, so if all goes as planned you guys won't have to see me as much after that. And @dacatalyst41 asked for pictures so take it up with him. :D

These are from yesterday's round. About 50, and 90 yds. Clean, and dirty.

20200502_194342.jpg. 20200502_160342.jpg

I used to be a textbook digger. Not so much anymore. I pick it most of the time. The divots I take are usually the result of hitting it fat.

I'm very much a picker. I'm pretty jealous of those that can take a nice divot.

I've been focusing on using the bounce more inside 50 yds as well and especially inside 30yds. Productive thus far and checking up nicely. When I first started making the change, everything felt like a flyer at first. :LOL:
The checking up part is the most fun. The occasional blading one is murder. But I hit one the last time I got out that still makes me smile!

Back