101: Should “Better” Players Be Taking A Hard Look At Apex ’21?

JohnnyCallaway

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve been asking myself this question since joining #teamcallaway. Should a sub-5-handicap player dare look at the Apex ’21?

It’s an honest question actually, Callaway offers a full line of player’s irons via the Apex MB, TCB, Apex Pro, and X-Forged CB so why on earth would I ever consider trying a forged “game improvement” iron?

I’ll frame this by laying out where my head went when looking into Apex ’21 for my own game.

1. I’m fully capable of hitting any of the player’s offerings consistently out of the middle.
  2. I like the workability of a less offset, smaller profile iron.
  3. The Apex ’21 has a stronger loft package than what I normally play by about 2 to 3 degrees per iron. This was my biggest concern FYI.
  4. I’ll hit them too far, get heaters, etc.
  5. They aren’t a “Tour” iron.
  6. If I weaken the lofts to something closer to my set, it’ll mess up the whole thing
The list could actually expand quite a bit if I pressed but there is a flip side to that coin that I’m not identifying. That is honesty. Yes, I hit my irons solid but when I look at my stats my GIR and proximity to the hole are nowhere near where they should be to actually see the scores I want. I can hit good shots quite often but I’m definitely leaving meat on the bone with the current setup….and I’m a gearhead and love the Tour stuff.🤷🏻‍♂️ So there’s that 😂

The strengths of my game have always been Driving, Chipping, and Putting. At no point in my time playing would I ever consider myself a great iron player, I’d say mildly serviceable is a more fair assessment. So why am I fighting it?

A good idea could be to just work on my swing which is 100% a valid point but I’m more curious about immediate gains when I’m not hitting it well. I was chatting with a Champions Tour pal of mine and he gave me a little nugget. He only uses smaller profile irons when he knows he can take advantage of them. An interesting way to look at it for sure. What I took from this was he prefers to make things easy in any scenario. He also said that “good” game improvement irons will give you all the workability you would ever need if you know what you’re doing. That’s why when Phil put Epic Forged irons in the bag during the 2020 Masters he was still able to hit the shots he needed all while playing with a profile that would be designated for a higher handicapper.

It’s also with noting that Apex’ 21 isn’t SUPER game improvement, I think the stronger loft setup throws people off. I’ve played well with profiles that had a bigger thumbprint and faired really well. I’m going into this trying to find NEW opportunities in my bag. The woods are cooked, the wedges dialed and the putter is on point. It’s the 4-iron to 7-iron area that vexes me. Usually, I like to combo things up with CB long irons and MB short irons but I’m also tired of that. I want to play with one uniform set again and see what that gets me.

So here is what I’m doing now, I just ordered up a set of Apex ’21 irons, exactly to the spec of my current mixed set of X-Forged CB and Apex MB. The only twist is the loft package is a bit stronger (new specs below) but what I’m losing in the loft I’m getting in the launch and descent angle. What I’m gaining here (in theory) is ball speed and forgiveness on mis-hits which I so desperately need. My frequent miss is a center thin shot that loses its steam during the last 25% of its travels. That shot has cost me more grief than any other and I’m now calling in the heavy artillery to make it go away.

There was however one question/concern I had that kept me from pressing the button on this whole thing, the lofts. It’s no secret that the loft package in these styles of irons needs to be on the stronger side to avoid players hitting uncontrollable shots. Some people call it “loft jacking” which always gave me a chuckle. No, OEMs are not making the lofts stronger to pull the wool over your eyes and trick you into thinking you’re Sam Burns. It’s a necessity for the lofts to be stronger to work in harmony with the low CG’s and multi-material design of the irons. Take Bryson for example, his PW is 41 degrees. Is that why he hits it so far? NO. It’s simple math in that case. If his PW was on the more traditional side he would hit it straight up in the air with too much spin. The same rule (sort of) applies here.

The other question I have, is, how will bending these irons a degree or two weak affect the turf interaction/flight, etc?

This is where I had to go to the experts on the truck to get the answer and the answer was a resounding “nothing”. The reasoning behind that answer was due to the leading edge relief and what is basically a pretty low bounce sole, to begin with. 2 degrees up or down won’t do much except add/or subtract a touch of spin. Any more than a couple of degrees is where you will start to see some problems. Especially in the shorter clubs. The shafts play a big part in this as well, Tour Issue X100 is a tip-stiff, heavy profile. I think that the combo of the weaker lofts, low launching shaft, and forgiveness of the head may add up to something pretty cool.

To remedy this in my case I split the difference by blending the lofts to sit right in between Apex ’21 Std and my gamers.

Here is the Apex ’21 set up im going to try:

Shafts: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 (soft stepped)
SwingWeight: D3
Grips: Golf Pride BCT 58R Logo Down

New loft, Gamer loft, stock Gamer Yardage
4-iron: 21.5, 23, 210
5-iron: 24.5, 26, 195
6-iron: 27.5, 29, 180
7-iron: 31.5, 33, 165
8-iron: 35.5, 37, 150
9-iron: 40, 41, 135
PW: 45, 46, 125

What am I expecting to happen?

If I was to guess id say ill get about 1/2 club longer but most importantly what I’m hoping to see is my performance from 175+ improves. When looking at my stats it’s that yardage where my GIR numbers get really funky. It’s almost like looking at 2 different golfers.

Where my concern lies is in the shorter clubs (8-PW) where my stats are pretty damn good, and it’s from 8-iron down to LW that I make most of my birdies and the par percentage is awesome. Keep in mind that those stats at 175+ could reflect a poor short game but that wouldn’t be telling an accurate story. It’s where I’m hitting it from 175+ that’s killing me. Trust me when I say that I’ve put myself in some serious pickles with a 6-iron on up.

Best case this comes off and everything gets better, the worst case is I’m still garbage from 175+ with irons that should help. That’s more of a “maybe you aren’t as good as you think you are” scenario……ouch. The middle ground is a split in improvement in the 4-iron to 6-iron and a deficiency in the shorter clubs, but that’s what combo sets are for 😉

I’ll follow up after I’ve had a chance to bang these things around, please ask away if you have any questions. Would also like some Apex’21 players to chime in on what they have experienced.

I’m going in.

JDUB

No reason you shouldn't do well with these, the added forgiveness on mishits will be worth a stroke alone.

So, I’m going to answer the thread title generally. Irons are generally your approach shot clubs. Approach shots are ALL about minimizing dispersion. If a game improvement club gets you closer to the hole—use it.

Now if you shape shots a lot, you will probably find most game improvement clubs counterproductive. But if you hit the ball straight, small fades, and slight draws you should check your ego at the door and include GI clubs when you get fit—that is IF you care about your score.

Holy Research Batman...

Sounds like a fun experiment! I don't think I'd love playing a full set of them at this point, but you kind of roundabouted your way in the setup to a likely combo with them eventually if they benefit you.

Love what the Champions Tour player said about only using the smaller ones when he knows they'll benefit him. I am BIG with that. My combo splits are basically based on that idea, and I share it with others here thinking about buying/trying certain clubs. 'When I'm going good, I play the set like this, otherwise, like this...'. Especially with my Apex MB's. When I don't quite have it a longer iron blade can just feel like a lot of work, and there's a fine line between beneficial and detrimental to the almighty proximities.

Look forward to hearing your results and comparisons on those. Where you see benefits and where you don't, and ultimately how close you get and the scoring effect it might have. Good stuff. (y)

Last edited:
I play the Apex 19s and fluctuate between +.5 and 1 for handicap. They are very consistent distance wise. I also really like the forgiveness on Mishits as I am a dad with young kids and don’t get to practice very often. Been to the range 1 time this year for an actual practice session.

My 2 favorite clubs in the set are the 6&7 irons. So much fun to hit.

I like the way you think and do your research. Solid! (y)

This is an interesting experiment and it'll be fun to read your thoughts as you start playing them. Everything you said makes sense, so it'll be cool to see if it works out that way when the rubber meets the road.

I’ve been asking myself this question since joining #teamcallaway. Should a sub-5-handicap player dare look at the Apex ’21?

It’s an honest question actually, Callaway offers a full line of player’s irons via the Apex MB, TCB, Apex Pro, and X-Forged CB so why on earth would I ever consider trying a forged “game improvement” iron?

I’ll frame this by laying out where my head went when looking into Apex ’21 for my own game.

1. I’m fully capable of hitting any of the player’s offerings consistently out of the middle.
  2. I like the workability of a less offset, smaller profile iron.
  3. The Apex ’21 has a stronger loft package than what I normally play by about 2 to 3 degrees per iron. This was my biggest concern FYI.
  4. I’ll hit them too far, get heaters, etc.
  5. They aren’t a “Tour” iron.
  6. If I weaken the lofts to something closer to my set, it’ll mess up the whole thing
The list could actually expand quite a bit if I pressed but there is a flip side to that coin that I’m not identifying. That is honesty. Yes, I hit my irons solid but when I look at my stats my GIR and proximity to the hole are nowhere near where they should be to actually see the scores I want. I can hit good shots quite often but I’m definitely leaving meat on the bone with the current setup….and I’m a gearhead and love the Tour stuff.🤷🏻‍♂️ So there’s that 😂

The strengths of my game have always been Driving, Chipping, and Putting. At no point in my time playing would I ever consider myself a great iron player, I’d say mildly serviceable is a more fair assessment. So why am I fighting it?

A good idea could be to just work on my swing which is 100% a valid point but I’m more curious about immediate gains when I’m not hitting it well. I was chatting with a Champions Tour pal of mine and he gave me a little nugget. He only uses smaller profile irons when he knows he can take advantage of them. An interesting way to look at it for sure. What I took from this was he prefers to make things easy in any scenario. He also said that “good” game improvement irons will give you all the workability you would ever need if you know what you’re doing. That’s why when Phil put Epic Forged irons in the bag during the 2020 Masters he was still able to hit the shots he needed all while playing with a profile that would be designated for a higher handicapper.

It’s also with noting that Apex’ 21 isn’t SUPER game improvement, I think the stronger loft setup throws people off. I’ve played well with profiles that had a bigger thumbprint and faired really well. I’m going into this trying to find NEW opportunities in my bag. The woods are cooked, the wedges dialed and the putter is on point. It’s the 4-iron to 7-iron area that vexes me. Usually, I like to combo things up with CB long irons and MB short irons but I’m also tired of that. I want to play with one uniform set again and see what that gets me.

So here is what I’m doing now, I just ordered up a set of Apex ’21 irons, exactly to the spec of my current mixed set of X-Forged CB and Apex MB. The only twist is the loft package is a bit stronger (new specs below) but what I’m losing in the loft I’m getting in the launch and descent angle. What I’m gaining here (in theory) is ball speed and forgiveness on mis-hits which I so desperately need. My frequent miss is a center thin shot that loses its steam during the last 25% of its travels. That shot has cost me more grief than any other and I’m now calling in the heavy artillery to make it go away.

There was however one question/concern I had that kept me from pressing the button on this whole thing, the lofts. It’s no secret that the loft package in these styles of irons needs to be on the stronger side to avoid players hitting uncontrollable shots. Some people call it “loft jacking” which always gave me a chuckle. No, OEMs are not making the lofts stronger to pull the wool over your eyes and trick you into thinking you’re Sam Burns. It’s a necessity for the lofts to be stronger to work in harmony with the low CG’s and multi-material design of the irons. Take Bryson for example, his PW is 41 degrees. Is that why he hits it so far? NO. It’s simple math in that case. If his PW was on the more traditional side he would hit it straight up in the air with too much spin. The same rule (sort of) applies here.

The other question I have, is, how will bending these irons a degree or two weak affect the turf interaction/flight, etc?

This is where I had to go to the experts on the truck to get the answer and the answer was a resounding “nothing”. The reasoning behind that answer was due to the leading edge relief and what is basically a pretty low bounce sole, to begin with. 2 degrees up or down won’t do much except add/or subtract a touch of spin. Any more than a couple of degrees is where you will start to see some problems. Especially in the shorter clubs. The shafts play a big part in this as well, Tour Issue X100 is a tip-stiff, heavy profile. I think that the combo of the weaker lofts, low launching shaft, and forgiveness of the head may add up to something pretty cool.

To remedy this in my case I split the difference by blending the lofts to sit right in between Apex ’21 Std and my gamers.

Here is the Apex ’21 set up im going to try:

Shafts: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 (soft stepped)
SwingWeight: D3
Grips: Golf Pride BCT 58R Logo Down

New loft, Gamer loft, stock Gamer Yardage
4-iron: 21.5, 23, 210
5-iron: 24.5, 26, 195
6-iron: 27.5, 29, 180
7-iron: 31.5, 33, 165
8-iron: 35.5, 37, 150
9-iron: 40, 41, 135
PW: 45, 46, 125

What am I expecting to happen?

If I was to guess id say ill get about 1/2 club longer but most importantly what I’m hoping to see is my performance from 175+ improves. When looking at my stats it’s that yardage where my GIR numbers get really funky. It’s almost like looking at 2 different golfers.

Where my concern lies is in the shorter clubs (8-PW) where my stats are pretty damn good, and it’s from 8-iron down to LW that I make most of my birdies and the par percentage is awesome. Keep in mind that those stats at 175+ could reflect a poor short game but that wouldn’t be telling an accurate story. It’s where I’m hitting it from 175+ that’s killing me. Trust me when I say that I’ve put myself in some serious pickles with a 6-iron on up.

Best case this comes off and everything gets better, the worst case is I’m still garbage from 175+ with irons that should help. That’s more of a “maybe you aren’t as good as you think you are” scenario……ouch. The middle ground is a split in improvement in the 4-iron to 6-iron and a deficiency in the shorter clubs, but that’s what combo sets are for 😉

I’ll follow up after I’ve had a chance to bang these things around, please ask away if you have any questions. Would also like some Apex’21 players to chime in on what they have experienced.

I’m going in.

JDUB

I love this post has a bunch of great stuff in it. I play the CF19s now and they are awesome too. Good luck.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes for you, Johnny. I've gone a different route this year , putting the Apex Pros in play after playing the standard Apex (my handicap oscillates between 9-11) after a really good fitting experience with them at a Callaway Demo day. I don't know if it's because I'm pretty shallow/low spin but I feel like I'm hitting my numbers really well.

I think your guess of ~1/2 a club is pretty much spot on based on my experience. That said, there's days I'm off and I know a little more help might be beneficial.

This is exactly what I was pondering this past few months. If I were to write up my thought process, it would be nearly identical. Driver, short game, putting has always a strength. Iron game very average. Yet, I always fought making my golf life a little easier. Taking the help where I need it.

I was testing the pro's on the course, loved them, ready to purchase and go down the same road. My head pro talked me into taking the Apex 21 for spin before deciding. I had all the same thoughts you did. I was picking apart the looks ( compared to the pro's), lofts, height, all while hitting them better than my perfectly fit current irons. Being a high spin player, getting them to stop on the greens was not an issue. As a matter of fact, this was seemed to be another benefit.

So I ordered a set not long ago, again almost identical to yours. Except I didn't get the 4 or mess with the lofts. Instead, I added another wedge. My 5 iron is just what my 4 was. Gaps are great.

It's early still, but the one thing I noticed and tracked during my testing was distance control. I was pleasantly surprised with the consistent numbers each club was giving me.

We'll see how things go as the season moves on.

I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes for you, Johnny. I've gone a different route this year , putting the Apex Pros in play after playing the standard Apex (my handicap oscillates between 9-11) after a really good fitting experience with them at a Callaway Demo day. I don't know if it's because I'm pretty shallow/low spin but I feel like I'm hitting my numbers really well.

I think your guess of ~1/2 a club is pretty much spot on based on my experience. That said, there's days I'm off and I know a little more help might be beneficial.

Having hit your pros and @93civiccpe regs I would go reg forgiveness is my friend - also I didn’t feel like i was giving up anything in the sound/feel dept with the added forgiveness

Having hit your pros and @93civiccpe regs I would go reg forgiveness is my friend - also I didn’t feel like i was giving up anything in the sound/feel dept with the added forgiveness

This is so true. The Apex irons are so good. I don't fault anyone for going with any of the sets.

This is so true. The Apex irons are so good. I don't fault anyone for going with any of the sets.

I do want to try the Apex DCB - offset has never bothered me (though I probably have shat on it in the past) but I feel like for me the Sweet spot combo set would be ideal - but b/c this is the internet sign me up for the Triple Play

edit: The TT stock options that callaway offers in shafts gives me the warm and tingly feels lol

I do want to try the Apex DCB - offset has never bothered me (though I probably have shat on it in the past) but I feel like for me the Sweet spot combo set would be ideal - but b/c this is the internet sign me up for the Triple Play

edit: The TT stock options that callaway offers in shafts gives me the warm and tingly feels lol

When I got fit for the Pros, the fitter didn't want me in the DCB because of angle of attack and the fact that I wasn't hurting for launch or speed. Given you're a lot steeper than I am and launch it lower with more spin, wouldn't surprise me if those were a better fit for you than me.

I do want to give the regular apex a shot in my specs at some point.

The 16 pros I had on the past were some really fun irons, but I was just too inconsistent. My current items are a small improvement, but I still yearn for a combo set. I definitely will need a fitting for that one

Sounds like a fun experiment you have going on, hope the irons would out well!

My index generally ranges between 2.7 and 5.0 depending on how much and well I have been playing. I have the Apex 19s in the bag and while I don't generate anywhere need the clubhead speed you do I don't have any issues with distance control with them I find them very precise. I think they have a tiny bit more offset than I would really like but I have adjusted to them pretty well.

Good luck the Apex 21 family does look awesome.

I would be all for the triple play too although I wish the pros extended to the 9 iron.
4&5 in the DCB
6 7 and 8 in the apex
9 PW & AW in the pros.

I had one of my best ball striking days on a new course yesterday and had 3 birdies. On a par 3 playing 170 I caught a ball out towards the toe (half on the shiny part past the grooves) and I still ended up on the green pin high 15ft away. These continue to shock me how well they perform even when the strike isn't perfect

After six rounds, I couldn't be happier with the results so far. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything. Confidence in my iron game is trending way up.

Love the research and trials JW! I thought about Apex but the sole was just too wide for me. I hit my Rogues well but if I had a contact miss it was thin. I like the weakening of lofts. My big concern with Apex vs Apex Pro was that of distance control and workability. I would rather a miss be well short and playable than pin high and 30 yards to the left in a hazard. My wife's Apex just arrived today. Going to do a build when we get back from Vegas. Keep the updates coming @JohnnyCallaway

I looked at my last 30 scores, only the last 15 were with the Apex 21's and the difference is 5 strokes per round on average. Nothing else about my game or bag has changed. My iron play is just catching up to the rest of my game. Best move I've made in a long time.

Back