Murray

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone use one instead of a driver? I'm seriously considering it and wondering if their any downsides etc. I would still keep my 15 degree 3 wood in my bag though

Totally personal choice isnt it really. If you can hit it long enough for the course you play and most consistent that a driver then why not.

Would be good to try one on a course for a round. I currently hit my 3 wood about 260 off the tee and so if I could get another 20/30 yards with a lower degree I'd be happy and forget the driver. I guess it's not as simple as that, though!
Probably get the Cleveland if anything

unless your playing a really long course 260 should be plenty....tour players average 280/290 with the driver!

Just noticed your in Bristol...how random! What course do you play?

260 With a 3 wood? You'll be nearly driving it to me with the driver then.
If I hit it that far I would ditch the driver.
I have hit a 13 degree 3 wood the old V Steel t/s not much distance gain over a 15 degree and less forgiving.

and now a Cardiff member! What's this, the south west and wales members thread?

Bizarre given how few UK's are on this forum.

Back to the point, strong 3 woods are old hat no doubt.

Whats wrong with your driver? Just a bit wayward?

I actually went through a stage in my golfing career where I hit 3W off the tee and well. I had no confidence in the driver and learn how to hit my 3W long enough to be competitive. Maybe you go with a 13* with a slightly long shaft.

Tapatalk'n from my iPad

i guess it's about 250 average but normally get it to 260. Driver is erratic, some days I hit it wonderfully but then some days I hit them offline all the time. I might go for a fitting and see, I like the Nike Machspeed so might give it a test!

As for Bristol, used to be a member of The Bristol, Filton and now deciding where to join - if anywhere. I play all over though. The Players, Bowood and my favourite course Manor House. Yourself?

I'm a member at Filton now, was at The Players before that.

Only problem with Filton is you can forget winter golf really. All temps. Players is good but just out in the sticks a bit.

Yeah, but the greens are really nice in the summer because they're protected. Have you played Manor House?

what about trying a 12* driver? just 1 degree stronger and you get the forgiveness of the larger head

what about trying a 12* driver? just 1 degree stronger and you get the forgiveness of the larger head

I get on really well with the 3 wood off the tee so figured that having a similar club but lower degree would be beneficial

If you hit your 3w that far, then why not just remove the driver and add another wedge?

Yeah, but the greens are really nice in the summer because they're protected. Have you played Manor House?

Indeed. Getting faster by the day at the minute, even with the torrential rain weve had.

Manor House Castle Combe? If so then yes, many times. Great isnt it!

If you hit your 3w that far, then why not just remove the driver and add another wedge?

Considered this too but 500+ holes it's good to get some distance :) even if risk of being on another fairway!

Indeed. Getting faster by the day at the minute, even with the torrential rain weve had.

Manor House Castle Combe? If so then yes, many times. Great isnt it!

Probably my favourite course. What about Burnham and Berrow?

Not played there....not played any links golf infact.

I am playing in the Saunton open in August though....cant wait.

Filton have a deal on by the way for new members. 25% off the first year.

Not played there....not played any links golf infact.

I am playing in the Saunton open in August though....cant wait.

Filton have a deal on by the way for new members. 25% off the first year.

Played the Filton so much I decided not to renew. What's your best score there so far? I hate the 18th! Hates me too.

I really like Tracy Park and Cumberwell as well - slightly outside Bristol, though.

Guys if you would like to talk courses and locale, please create a thread for that.

I'm fairly new to golf - only been playing for 2 years - and had been using a 3 wood off the tee. I'd been struggling with slicing so went to my local driving range and golf shop and had a 13.5* degree recommended to me. I ended up buying the Callaway Diablo Octane Black and haven't looked back since. It's got the driver-like advantages of a large head, but with the larger loft and (hopefully) more control.

I was hitting the 3 wood about 180 - 200 yards depending on the hole, but am hitting the 13.5* driver about 220 - 240 yards. I've therefore got a 40 yard increase in distance, and the most encouraging thing is that I've also got a lot more control with just a slight fade instead of a slice. I've also kept the 3 wood in the bag and use that on a couple of holes where the layout works against the extra distance of the driver, although I might be ditching the wood as I'm starting to hit my 5 iron well and out to the 180 yard mark.

Might be something to consider?

Does anyone use one instead of a driver? I'm seriously considering it and wondering if their any downsides etc. I would still keep my 15 degree 3 wood in my bag though

Have you ever tried a 13 degree driver?

Back