$15 Minimum Wage - Impacts on Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuperGolf

Reaction score
So it seems that there is a strong likelihood that over the next few years, a federal minimum wage of $15 will be coming in.

This thread is not to discuss how we have arrived here, but rather the impacts (positive and negative) that a $15 minimum wage will have on golf and the golf industry.

I would assume that green fees will rise? If so which states will have the biggest increase?
What impact will it have on golf related employment? More part time and fewer full time employees? More apprenticeship opportunities?
Will rural courses feel the impacts far worse than urban courses?
Will this have any effect to on-course retail? Will an increase in costs cause more on-line opportunities?

As directed above, please keep politics out of this, and mention what you believe the effects of the federal minimum wage of $15 per hour will have on the industry.

Thanks
LuperGolf

I will be laying off at least 10 people. My family is more important than my employees. This is my business that I have grown. Good luck! Nancy will take care of you.

My guess is green fees will likely rise, as will many goods and services, probably all at similar levels. I doubt it will have much impact where I currently live as minimum wage around here is 14.14 an hour, but other areas of the country it will be a significant increase.

Last edited:
In HS I got my junior membership for free by working at the golf course picking the range, cleaning carts and changing the trash.

To pay a kid $15 an hour to do that is absurd, and will lead to these jobs being eliminated in some fashion

and mention what you believe the effects of the federal minimum wage of $15 per hour will have on the industry.

I would imagine it will have some impact. My home course is part of a resort so for that particular type of business, the increase will be substantial.

If I have to pay more, so be it. If it gets too expensive, I'll play less.

Minimum wage has been $15 here for several years. I didn't golf before to tell you how it's changed but greens fees are still lower than my hometown and kids still work the ranges and carts (can't say if there are less kids).

With more money in more people's pockets are more people golfing? Possibly, I'm not sure. Could just be a lack of alternatives during Covid.

For anyone curious:

"Seattle was the first major city to pass a bill that would increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour. The bill, which went into effect in 2015, made the minimum wage for employers who don’t offer medical benefits to their employees $11 as of April 2015; $12 for small employers (500 employees or fewer) and $13 for large employers as of 2016; $13 for small employers and $15 for large employers as of 2017; $14 for small employers and $15.45 for large employers as of 2018; and $15 for small employers and $16 for large employers as of 2019.

Although some business owners, particularly in the food industry, threatened to leave Seattle amid growing wage requirements, it doesn’t seem that many have followed through. According to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of jobs in restaurants and bars had been on the upswing since Seattle’s minimum wage laws went into effect in 2015 (though the coronavirus pandemic has obviously changed this trajectory in 2020).

University of Washington research published in 2018 found that “fewer than one in four employers reported reducing their workforces through cuts in hours or headcount” as a result of the wage hikes."

Over time everyone's pay will level out after the initial shock. Prices will go up on services and products. Everyone else above minimum wages pay will go up or be laid off due to more efficiencies "found" in companies. Then we will be in the normal cycle again in probably 3 years where we can talk about raising it again.

I could see more kiosk type things showing up. But overall less populated/rural areas will see the most impact since urban/suburban areas are already close to or above $15/hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@JB thought no politics, or just about certain party?
And @EnglishTurn, what is the name of your buisness?
Our track record is pretty clear that we don’t tolerate any. Doing a live stream for THPers things get missed from time to time. normally our THP community uses the report function rather than make incorrect assumptions like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back