18 Holes of Golf - Three 6's instead of two 9's

Same way you do 9 or 18 now, right?
I guess I meant current courses that do not have a good stopping point at 12. If new courses were built with the 6 6 6 in mind I could see how it would be much easier.

The more I think about this the more I think it could create more problems with people making the turn, pace of play, etc. UNLESS it was policed strictly by the course and rangers. Most of the courses here can’t even do that with only 1 turn, imagine if there were 2 or 3. Could be a nightmare

The more I think about this the more I think it could create more problems with people making the turn, pace of play, etc. UNLESS it was policed strictly by the course and rangers. Most of the courses here can’t even do that with only 1 turn, imagine if there were 2 or 3. Could be a nightmare
I think for most people 18 holes is 18 holes right? So nothing really changes. The option to play 6 or 12 I think is where the growth ability comes in. There has to be some minor routing work I would imagine, but in a general sense I think it offers so much growth and for long time golfers nothing changes at all.

When playing as a 3some and want to do match play....3 six hole matches works well....2 vs 1 three times.

No, just 12 holes, that's what I enjoy the most.

i normally play 12-13 holes, depending which track they have me on and which hole gives me a direct walk back to the clubhouse...18 isn't too long but i've lost interest by 15 normally.

I think for most people 18 holes is 18 holes right? So nothing really changes. The option to play 6 or 12 I think is where the growth ability comes in. There has to be some minor routing work I would imagine, but in a general sense I think it offers so much growth and for long time golfers nothing changes at all.
Yeah the routing with people making multiple turns after 6 is what I was referring too. I’m sure someone much smarter than me can figure it out though

As long as I can get 18 I’m fine, would make it a little odd having to track back to the clubhouse from the furthest points on the properties. New courses would adapt to designs but heading back to the clubhouse weaving through existing courses with players on the course holding up just in case of a stray shot or two might add to the pace of play issues.

My diy score card is broken down into 6 groups of 3 holes. That takes care of 9-12-18 holes.

I suppose 12 holes is better than 9. That said, I always like to play 18.

I know for handicap purposes for our senior league, 9 or 18 works better for secretary. Not sure about 12.
Never thought about it.

I do like the idea of 12 holes when pressed for time.

So long as the course routing makes sense, I'm all for any combination. And if this would help grow the game, I'd be even more on board.

You aren’t alone. My home course has the green of 12 pretty close to the clubhouse and plenty of people just play 12 (sometimes 13 if they play the par 3 on the walk to the clubhouse).

I like it . I tend to get tired at 14 holes, and slug thru the last 4. Also having an option of 6 (especially in the morning) will allow me to play more golf during the work week. Should take about 1:15 for me.

Also for families with small kids I imagine 6 would be ideal - if not 4.

One of my local courses has a 9 hole course plus 3 more holes.

My grand plan!

It should happen. It makes the most sense for growth and longevity of the game.

i thought i was a genius when i had this idea. turns out i probably heard it from you first haha. it seriously solves so much.

I think if a course was built/designed purposefully with 3 6-hole loops that would be awesome. Especially if all 3 had a decent formula and a fun/cool finishing hole.

However I have 1 caveat that I'm sure courses wouldn't agree with - let's have pricing that makes sense. If 18 holes is $100, then 12 is $66 and 6 is $33.

All the courses here that offer 9 hole play (instead of 18) charge you 75-85% of an 18 hole green fee. GTFO with that nonsense.

I like the idea, gives more options to play. I don't know that I'd use it often personally, but I do think it's a good idea.

Also for families with small kids I imagine 6 would be ideal - if not 4.
My local 9 hole just started offering 4 holes for $6. This make it far more likely that I take my boys (7 and 8) out a time or two this summer

There is a 9 hole course near where we take vacations in PA. There you can pay and play for as many holes as you want. interesting Advertising. They say if you have that big matchup with friends instead of hitting cold, come play a couple holes here to warm up. Or after work get a couple in before you go home. They are being creative, but ingenious all the same. Course never busy when we are there so that also could be the reason.

Every 18 hole course has thousands of possible 12-hole courses built into it. Just pick which 6 holes you want to skip. Problem solved!

Every 18 hole course has thousands of possible 12-hole courses built into it. Just pick which 6 holes you want to skip. Problem solved!

That doesn't help newcomers to the game that are looking for more guidance though, right?
With the growth that is taking place currently, any guidance and ease of use applications would help keep them here.

I think that would work for lots of people. I typically never play less than 18 anyway. Just feels dirty and incomplete if I do :ROFLMAO:

I wish this was available yesterday. We played at Jackson hole golf and only had time for 9. We finished quick and would have easily been able to get a few more holes in.

I think it’s a great idea but I would probably use it to play 24 holes more often than 12 holes

How do you get scramble player out of someone who wants more than 9 but less than 18?
only use her for whatever shots she is comfortable with. Usually we'll have a person that doesn't drive as far as us so he won't hit. I'm not the best chipper so I'll either go last or just pass if another player puts us close enough.

If I could play 18 and choose 12 of them to count after the fact I swear I'd be playing off scratch instead of a 15hcp.

That might be an interesting way of handicapping. Nobody gets strokes anywhere. Your handicap determines how many holes out of 18 you count.

A scratch player would have to count all 18 holes. If you had a "4 handicap" that means you get to take even par for four holes and count their real score on the rest. A "9 handicap" gets to take par for nine holes, etc.

Back