1st Amateur Golf Tournament. TheGrintTour.

CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Reaction score
Handicap
I don’t know what I’m getting myself into but here it goes. So I’ve been apart of TheGrint for several years and it’s nice. Emails always come about joining TheGrintTour but I don’t have the time nor patience to do that, I don’t care to golf competitively either.

I got an email today about TheGrintTour Tampa will be making its debut this Saturday in Brooksville Florida. Southern Hills Plantation, a Pete Dye designed golf course.

Now I’m a very casual golfer, very casual. Breakfast Ball on the opening tee box. If your ball is in a divot you can move it an inch or two off the divot. Move your ball away from tree roots. Everything is a lateral hazard. Rake up some 4 footers for bogey. Rangefinder with Slope. Did I miss anything else?

So my 11.8 handicap could be considered a vanity cap by some, which is whatever, I play my game you play yours.

But this intrigued me because I’ve never done an Amateur Stroke Play Tournament. This will probably be my 1st and last tournament but just wanted to see how I’d do by playing by the USGA and local rules of golf with random people.

Obviously their will be no breakfast ball, no moving your ball off a fairway divot, putt everything out, hit provisionals if need be, and while a rangefinder is allowed, the slope feature must be off, which sucks because this course definitely has value for slope!!

Of course it would be nice to play an easier course than Southern Hills but whatever. Most courses I play have a slope of 112-120, this Saturday the slope will be 135 with a lot more undulation and hills than I’m accustomed to playing. I golfed here last year and shot an 89, but by my rules of golf.

I’m going into it with zero expectations and hope to grab a skin and see what happens.

I registered today and will be in the Eagle Flight!

10:30am. To say I’d be a little nervy about the opening tee shot would be an understatement since this isn’t a shotgun start, we have a blocked set of tee times, and no breakfast ball! Hah!!

I’m going to enjoy this and see what I got.

8f06c0e3e6f2089773b3213de199ac52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Cool.

Have fun and see what happens

Good luck brother! Did they say how many are playing (and how many in your flight?)

You can't round that 11.8 up to a 12? ha

Good luck and have fun! Driver off the first is a good choice with the nerves!

Congratulations on taking the plunge. Realistic expectations and a good attitude can lead to a great experience.

That sounds awesome! Tournament golf is definitely a different beast and man is it a rush but play to have fun (which it sounds like is your plan). It's a lot more enjoyable that way. You have to update us on how it goes! Good luck to you sir!

Have fun and best of luck!

I don’t know what I’m getting myself into but here it goes. So I’ve been apart of TheGrint for several years and it’s nice. Emails always come about joining TheGrintTour but I don’t have the time nor patience to do that, I don’t care to golf competitively either.

I got an email today about TheGrintTour Tampa will be making its debut this Saturday in Brooksville Florida. Southern Hills Plantation, a Pete Dye designed golf course.

Now I’m a very casual golfer, very casual. Breakfast Ball on the opening tee box. If your ball is in a divot you can move it an inch or two off the divot. Move your ball away from tree roots. Everything is a lateral hazard. Rake up some 4 footers for bogey. Rangefinder with Slope. Did I miss anything else?

So my 11.8 handicap could be considered a vanity cap by some, which is whatever, I play my game you play yours.

But this intrigued me because I’ve never done an Amateur Stroke Play Tournament. This will probably be my 1st and last tournament but just wanted to see how I’d do by playing by the USGA and local rules of golf with random people.

Obviously their will be no breakfast ball, no moving your ball off a fairway divot, putt everything out, hit provisionals if need be, and while a rangefinder is allowed, the slope feature must be off, which sucks because this course definitely has value for slope!!

Of course it would be nice to play an easier course than Southern Hills but whatever. Most courses I play have a slope of 112-120, this Saturday the slope will be 135 with a lot more undulation and hills than I’m accustomed to playing. I golfed here last year and shot an 89, but by my rules of golf.

I’m going into it with zero expectations and hope to grab a skin and see what happens.

I registered today and will be in the Eagle Flight!

10:30am. To say I’d be a little nervy about the opening tee shot would be an understatement since this isn’t a shotgun start, we have a blocked set of tee times, and no breakfast ball! Hah!!

I’m going to enjoy this and see what I got.

8f06c0e3e6f2089773b3213de199ac52.jpg

Sounds fun. Did you have to register or something to get the invitation or is there a spot on Grint to go to see these kinds of events?

I wanted to participate in this but couldn’t swing it price wise at the moment. You’ll do great!

Very cool Steven, wish I was going with you. I always wanted to try real golf...and see if I can break 100

Good luck brother! Did they say how many are playing (and how many in your flight?)

You can't round that 11.8 up to a 12? ha
Thanks bro! No idea how many are in my flight, tee times and pairings will be posted tomorrow I think.

I'm no sandbagger bro! Probably screwing myself out of the Birdie Flight by being a Vanity cap though! Hah!

mattyD-MPLS said:
Good luck and have fun! Driver off the first is a good choice with the nerves!
The miss is right on Hole 1!! So I'll be setting up that way because left is death hah!

muchmore18 said:
That sounds awesome! Tournament golf is definitely a different beast and man is it a rush but play to have fun (which it sounds like is your plan). It's a lot more enjoyable that way. You have to update us on how it goes! Good luck to you sir!
I'll update before the round and after the round because during the round I just want to Golf. Matter of fact one of us in the group has to update the scoring after each hole since their is a live leaderboard for each flight so that's cool(I'd prefer NOT to be the person updating for this one!)

Sounds fun. Did you have to register or something to get the invitation or is there a spot on Grint to go to see these kinds of events?
So apparently The Grint has Tour Members. But when it goes to your city and you have at least 6 posted rounds on TheGrint then you can play as a non-member, which I am. It's in the Entry Fee part of the photo I posted.

jim54 said:
Very cool Steven, wish I was going with you. I always wanted to try real golf...and see if I can break 100
I sure am going to miss the Breakfast Ball Par I got last Saturday with you guys!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck...have fun out there

If it looks like a good thing maybe I will join up, do they have them often?

Cap doesn't matter because at least four people in your flight will shoot 74 or better. :ROFLMAO:

Nice! Think of it as a good tuneup to really see where your game is Really at. It may increase your handicap ... so that could be a good thing. (y)

If it looks like a good thing maybe I will join up, do they have them often?
I'm not fully aware to be honest, on the website they have Miami/FLL. Tampa Bay. North/South/Central Texas. and Venezuela. I don't know any details on any of it. I do know they had a TampaTour event at The Copperhead back in October or November.

Greg Kulbick said:
Cap doesn't matter because at least four people in your flight will shoot 74 or better. :ROFLMAO:
This made me laugh way more than it should've. See you in a month man! :ROFLMAO:

I went ahead and joined for the heck of it and see what happens. There does not appear to be any list of upcoming stuff I can find.

Just relax and have fun, it will make it a lot easier.

So apparently The Grint has Tour Members.

Yeah, so I looked into it a little. Looks like it costs $100 to join ($75 if you're a Pro member). Might look more into it later. There is a North TX event on the 21st, but I'm not sure I'm ready to dive into it just yet.

Have fun... you’ll be surprised if you can focus, you can put up a good score. Best of luck!

I, for one, am enthusiastically rooting for sub 100.

Competitive golf is the best! It gets the juices flowing and tests your real ability. Good luck and have fun! You won’t be the only one nervous on that first tee!

Back