1st MGA competition

Jmk202

Reaction score
Handicap
~10
I've got my first MGA competition, 3 man scramble, this weekend. Its a two day event, and i'm stoked. I've paired up with two other singles but both guys seem friendly.

Anyone have any good stories or memories about MGA events?

I've got my first MGA competition, 3 man scramble, this weekend. Its a two day event, and i'm stoked. I've paired up with two other singles but both guys seem friendly.

Anyone have any good stories or memories about MGA events?

Hope you play well, sir!

first of all Go in with just having fun....plahy well

Good luck, Jake! Keep us posted on how you play!

My favorite MGA event was a 1-man mulligan tournament; you could play a 2nd shot any time through the round, but you would HAVE to keep that 2nd shot. I figured 67 was going to be about where the winning score would be. I shot a 69 and was surprised to see that I was the only one who broke par. I did hole a lot of 2nd putts and had some much better approach shots with 2nd wedges that day.

I generally do like the team events better though - good luck in the scramble!

Good luck!!!

Don't know about MGA but 3 man scrambles are usually played with another group so be ready for 6+ hour round.

Thanks, i'm not foreign to competitive rounds, just never on my own MGA. Should be a lot of fun. I'll report back with an update after day one.

Have fun, competitive rounds are really fun in my opinion. Totally different but rewarding, even if they take too long:alien:

Well day one of the 3 man scramble is in the book, I didn't stick around full for scoring but I believe we are 5 strokes off or flight leaders. So we've got serious work to do today.

Round was fun. Didn't seem like any of the three of us brought out A game, but we grinded out some pretty impressive par saves. And we couldnt make a putt to save our lives, must have left 3-4 on the lip of the cup.

Today is looking pretty foggy but I'm excited to get us gross under par.

And for any of you poor souls that are following along at home... Day 2 when MUCH better. We were able to hit a lot of GIR and make some putts. Turned in 5 under with 6 birdies. Much better day but the damage of day 1 was too great. Wound up finishing in the bottom 3rd of our flight. All 3 of us brought much better game today and overall had more fun. Because i'm internally competitive I kept track of how many of "My shots" we utilized which turned out to be exactly 30%, which i'm pretty happy with as the High handicap of the group.

Overall we had a lot of fun and I can't wait for the nest event.

And for any of you poor souls that are following along at home... Day 2 when MUCH better. We were able to hit a lot of GIR and make some putts. Turned in 5 under with 6 birdies. Much better day but the damage of day 1 was too great. Wound up finishing in the bottom 3rd of our flight. All 3 of us brought much better game today and overall had more fun. Because i'm internally competitive I kept track of how many of "My shots" we utilized which turned out to be exactly 30%, which i'm pretty happy with as the High handicap of the group.

Glad day 2 was better and you had fun. Keep up the good work buddy.

Good luck. It’s something I’d like to try this year.

Glad you enjoyed it.

What is the MGA exactly?

I googled it & found "The Mediocre Golf Association"

I bet that's not what you're referring to lol!
But I'd like a crack at some of those events:

Great that you had a good 2nd day. It's amazing how a good day will make up for a whole bunch of bad days when playing.

And a good time wa shad by all! Hopefully(y)

Glad you enjoyed it.

What is the MGA exactly?

hahah nope, just my clubs Mens Golf Association.

I had to got to Arccos to measure, but on 18 had a legit ~300 yd drive without crazy rollout! When your partner throws out a good drive, you can really tighten the shoes and cut loose, not a high percentage drive for me at all, but still fun the smash one.

I had to got to Arccos to measure, but on 18 had a legit ~300 yd drive without crazy rollout! When your partner throws out a good drive, you can really tighten the shoes and cut loose, not a high percentage drive for me at all, but still fun the smash one.
Those are always what keep me coming back for more. :cool:

Glad you enjoyed it.

What is the MGA exactly?

Did you ever do this? I'm digging the concept

:ROFLMAO: not that MGA. Just my Mens Golf Association at my local Country Club. That does seem cool though!

Back